copydex!

Status
Not open for further replies.

smilie120

Sr Member
if you see this stuff sitting on the shelf in the stores......avoid it! many claim is has a natural grip to card called stickability!....not true....im warning you pepakura guys avoid copydex i thought i was good stuff....it isnt....after a few days the copydex looses its grip and all the parts starts to peel away!... :evil: i alamost finnished my pepakura armour and i have fiberglassed it all.....but the card just seem to peel away on the top. any way i only made a pepakura outfit because it was fast and easy i still think it harrases all the DIY costume makers (sean,link,adam,monstermaker). i wanted my own mc costume fast. and pep was the answer. when im done with my pep armour im going back to the good ol' days, i mige even try my hand at vacuum forming. PERSONALLY I THNK PEP IS CHEATING. but hey.....i made an mc costume beforre and it looked like hell...but thats because ive rushed it...if i take my time anything is possible. ive been doing some research and ive realised where ive gone wrong last time....Im going to finnish my pep armour and never look at pepakura again i feel ashamed.....

Pep's not cheating. When it comes to art, it's impossible to cheat. That's just foolish.
besides, if you fold out wour armor, the job's not done yet, YOU HAVE TO ADD DETAIL AFTERWARDS.

I too am going to have to disagree about Pepakura being cheating. I can see that the scratchbuilders see it as an affront to their craft, but when it comes down to it not everyone has the talent, the know-how or the resources to scuplt, cast, fiberglass, etc. I think it's kind of comparable to buying a clothing pattern from a fabric store. Yeah, some people have the ability to design and draft their own patterns, but most people don't. At least we're still trying to do something for ourselves instead of buying premade pieces.

I can see that the scratchbuilders see it as an affront to their craft

Well as an old salt scratchbuilder myself, I reall don't see it that way, and I fully support Pepakura. I think our only concern is that scratchbuilders still want a future for their craft, as more and more people gravitate to pepakura.We're just trying draw some people to what we do in order to keep our own 'niche' alive through the Pepakura craze. It's all just a means to the end result of everybody learning how to make their armor.

Pepakura doesn't make scratchbuilding obsolete, I think that the two can (and should) work side by side in the armor community.

:Steve:

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah Sean, I know that not all (hell, not even most) scratchbuilders are anti-pepakura. What I meant to say was "I can see that some of the scratchbuilders see it as an affront to their craft." And I've seen this other places before, so I'm not really referring to anyone specifically here. I remember a while back there was an almost identical situation over at League of Heroes.

I don't see pep as cheating rather an advantage to a newbie armor maker like someone like me. I haven't started and I think pep is the best way to go so far... sure maybe after a couple months when it's finished, or whatever, you'd go into scratchbuilding.

Any way my point is I made pepakura suite because it was fast and easy. But I think it’s quite arrogant to the people who spent years perfecting their suits. And then we can create something just as good with less time and effort... Ok, ok pepakura is good it helps beginners ect. But like I said I built one because it was fast and I needed one fast! But when im done im going to pay special attention to my DIY armour :p

The thing you should know abou this is that the pepakura method of making Halo armor is relatively new. A few people managed to do this years ago, but they didn't share their secrets. It's really due to the efforts of Jedifraz and Frizzlefry that most of you have the tools to do this now. So if anything I think they deserve some credit for all the armor being made with the process that they popularized.

I guess what I'm saying is that when many of us here got started there was no Pepakura method... and no forum to ask others how to do the things that we didn't know about. We had no choice other than to scratchbuild or recast from the statues, or buy the suits that were already made.

This site has changed EVERYTHING in Halo costuming. Just the very ability to ask others how they did what they did saves us all LOTS of trial and error. The sense of community and friendship that has grown out of sharing these techniques is really amazing, and something I think all of us are truly proud of.

It makes me wonder how different everything would be now if this method had been popularized 2-3 years ago when the first people made their extracted model paper armor. Would any of us have met? Would we think twice about sculpting or fabricating original suits if we had the option of following the pattern? Thats one of the reasons why I changed my mind about giving out my master patterns from when I made my suit. I knew that it would become a shortcut for others that could have figured it out on their own and made truly great and original armor.

Still I don't challenge the use of Pepakura, because I know that it gives the tools to some people who would otherwise be unable to make Halo armor. And after all, if I knew how to access the game model when I was making my first set of armor, I would have done so in a heartbeat.... But I do hope that those of you who get a taste for this hobby with your pepakura projects continue beyond the need for following someone elses patterns and learn to make your own.

It's all and means to the end result... theres more than one way to skin a cat... as they say.

;-)

Cheers Sean...

I have to admit I only ever saw making pepakura models as a good way of getting a basis to build from. Ive attempted to make armour in the past and had tremendous problems with proportions and symmetry.

Paperkura makes a good start to build from.
Reason being, the 3d models is not exact to the final ingame model. All the details are added in a texturefile. Physically adding the textures to the completed armour is the ideal goal. Without having to worry that the helmet is lopsided.

I do enjoy seing completed pics of paperkura armour. Gives me that warm feeling. Im just happy I could get so many people started.

Watch out though, Making costumes and props can be habit forming..;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back