Cortana Pepakura File

Status
Not open for further replies.
yeah i was considering that, but the problem with those things would be the tabs - they would show up way more than you could have thought possible. the best thing would be to pep it, somehow smooth it out so it looked more organic and less angular, mold it, cast it it a transparent plastic resin perhaps tinted blue,, and paint it by hand. It might be cheaper to buy the one from Gamestop for ~$13 though...

WookieLord said:
MC 3189, what exactly do you mean a 'regular' file? and waht exactly do you mean by a 'pep-compatible' file?
Pepakura will open any .3ds file or .obj file, as far as i know, and maybe more - i dont think it will do .max, but then, nothing ever does cos its totally closed.
By "regular," I mean a .jpeg and by "pep-compatible" I mean .pdo or one of the others you mentioned.

Wookielord, you have a pic of the one from gamestop? I haven't seen it at mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
WookieLord said:
yeah i was considering that, but the problem with those things would be the tabs - they would show up way more than you could have thought possible. the best thing would be to pep it, somehow smooth it out so it looked more organic and less angular, mold it, cast it it a transparent plastic resin perhaps tinted blue,, and paint it by hand. It might be cheaper to buy the one from Gamestop for ~$13 though...

All very good points

I've got the zip done up, but appearantly I'm a noob now so I can't attach it to my post. Shoot me an email if you want it... wolfmorgan @ hotmail.com

Wolf

On second thoughts it may not be from gamestop, but this one that bungie had on a weekly update a few weeks (a month maybe?) back
p_hl1_CORTANA001.jpg

Thanks Wolf, will try to email you but the thing is on the blink again

Profuse apologies for double post, but i wanted it to show up as a new post, which i believe the edit button wont do.

Wolf has now very kindly sent me the .obj files, which if he has no objections, i have no objection to sharing.
However, before i even go near pep, i looked at the models and Cortana is posed rather rigidly thus:
Cortana_basecopy.jpg

I would prefer her to look thus:
p_hl1_CORTANA001.jpg

before she stands on my desktop.

Can anybody suggest to me a good program for reposing (freeware/if not, we can find someone with it)? do they exist? or will i just have to do it with Wings 3d 'rotate' tool?

Share away... I was going to post it for all anyways... :)

I use Metasequoia for the majority of my editing & creating... It's free/shareware, & fairly easy to learn once you get into it... To repose the figure you'll need to 'bone' it so it's poseable... I'm just starting to learn that proccess, so I'm not much help there... The pose pictured is the one I did, doing minor changes to the basic model ( the one with the arms out further)...

If I make any headway in a better figure I'll let you know... I may try to come up with something in poser, but that always makes for a fairly high poly-count...

Wolf

Has anyone actually tried to make this thing!?!? I scaled it so she would come out 20cm tall, and the parts were still incredibly small. It is in no way humanly possible to cut and then score those pieces.

life size cortana anyone? time to resin fiberglass it now. and no i didnt use your pep i used my friends. he was inspired to make his own. but wow on te one i built the boobs are like doubl d's man!

Durlaburban said:
life size cortana anyone? time to resin fiberglass it now. and no i didnt use your pep i used my friends. he was inspired to make his own. but wow on te one i built the boobs are like doubl d's man!

Could you send the files to me please^^.

The problem with boning and then posing (lol) is as far as i know you cant then save the pose in a 3d file that could then be put into Pep.
I think, realistically, the only way to get a desktop cortana is to either buy the one in my previous post or find a small statue of a naked woman with short hair and paint it blue...

Actualy, you can... All you do is save the reposed model, & import it into pep... UIsing metasq, there is another program/plugin called motoko, which does the posing & animation stuff... I've got both, but it's a slow learning proccess due to time & other commitments...

I'm going to try doing up a cortana in poser, using Aiko as the base, with Rei's hair from Evangeleon... That should give a fairly close look... Then i just have to do up the texture. The trick will be reducing the polycount while keeping the geometry looking decent, to where it'll be possible to Pep it... Anytyhing over 1000 poly's is a real pain to unfold... My Ironman model was around 2500, but I did it all in seperate parts to make it easier...

Wolf

WookieLord said:
The problem with boning and then posing (lol) is as far as i know you cant then save the pose in a 3d file that could then be put into Pep.
I think, realistically, the only way to get a desktop cortana is to either buy the one in my previous post or find a small statue of a naked woman with short hair and paint it blue...

I have some models. I'll have them completly done if you can wait a few days.
[attachment=823:Cortana_High.jpg]
The high quality model. I'll fix the hair and teeth. Poly count of 4071.
[attachment=824:Cortana_Medium.jpg]
The medium quality model. I'll fix the hair and teeth. Poly count of 2765.
[attachment=825:Cortana_Low.jpg]
The low quality model. I'll fix the hair, teeth, eyes, and anything else that seems wierd. Poly count of 1766.

s-meister said:
Has anyone actually tried to make this thing!?!? I scaled it so she would come out 20cm tall, and the parts were still incredibly small. It is in no way humanly possible to cut and then score those pieces.

Not humanly impossible, just very hard. I cut, scored, and started glueing this 1:180th (i think) scale Piper Cub. I think you should probably try to make it a bit bigger than 20cm though.
[attachment=826:mini_plane.JPG]

Herogear, do you have Steph3? She might work too, with Aiko you'd need to use the realistic morph to avoid the besm look. You could do the outfit as a second skin, that would save a frak load of polys and wouldn't add to 'load' since you want to make a desk figure :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back