Cosplay Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsg6

Hello guys I am an upcoming cosplayer. Right now I might follow tutorials to create my first cosplay armor which will most likely be ODST armor. I would like to ask the experienced 405 cosplayers and tips for me and what thickness of eva foam I should get. Sincerely - jsg6 and yes this is a copy of my original post but I couldn't change the name to be more fitting

Hi and welcome to the 405th! There are many posts here that are very helpful when you are starting out with cosplaying. These are called sticky posts and are found in the "Halo Costumes and Armor" section. So I'd recommend you to read, read and read a bunch! As for the thickness of foam, you'll need more than one. First, you'll need to determine the EVA foam's thickness. 12 millimeters seems to work very well. You'll also need craft foam, to add little details/ raised parts. I hope this helped. See you around and good luck for your armor!

May I ask why did you write 2 same threads? You didn't accidentally click twice, because there is a 2 hour span between two threads.

Well, on the other thread FlyinPhil pretty much said best tips. Otherwise, you should just read through forum threads, use google and YouTube and 99% of your questions will be answered.

yeah sorry bought that I thought the name didn't match what I was talking about and I didn't know how to change it also palmer I will delete the original

Not a good idea to make threads willy nilly. Builds up the site content for no reason and slows it down. Try sticking to one thread for your entire build, you can even rename your thread at any time (Edit your first post and then click "More Reply Options"). There are also the Help! threads found in the New Recruit Sticky thread that you can post your questions in. Good luck and happy building! It sounds like you have a lot of reading ahead of you! :)

Not a good idea to make threads willy nilly. Builds up the site content for no reason and slows it down. Try sticking to one thread for your entire build, you can even rename your thread at any time (Edit your first post and then click "More Reply Options"). There are also the Help! threads found in the New Recruit Sticky thread that you can post your questions in. Good luck and happy building! It sounds like you have a lot of reading ahead of you! :)
thank you for the help

Nicely done. Much better thread title.

Your question was already answered above by SMJ, but since you didn't respond to it I'll mention it again. Most people use 1/2" thick EVA floormats for the base shape of the armor and then different thicknesses (2-5mm) of craft foam to create layers of detail. Lots to learn with foam: techniques on cutting and making seams, gluing, sealing and of course most noticeable painting. I've seen references to a YouTube series for a guy that showed how to make an ODST from start to finish. Apart from that there are many stuck tutorials in the foam section and lots of build threads that show many unique modifications. Do you know which game you like the most when it comes to ODST variations?

PS: I most likely won't respond unless you quote me or mention me (by typing the @ symbol followed by a forum screen name, no spaces)

Nicely done. Much better thread title.

Your question was already answered above by SMJ, but since you didn't respond to it I'll mention it again. Most people use 1/2" thick EVA floormats for the base shape of the armor and then different thicknesses (2-5mm) of craft foam to create layers of detail. Lots to learn with foam: techniques on cutting and making seams, gluing, sealing and of course most noticeable painting. I've seen references to a YouTube series for a guy that showed how to make an ODST from start to finish. Apart from that there are many stuck tutorials in the foam section and lots of build threads that show many unique modifications. Do you know which game you like the most when it comes to ODST variations?

PS: I most likely won't respond unless you quote me or mention me (by typing the @ symbol followed by a forum screen name, no spaces)[/QUOTE
Pernicious I was thinking about using that tutorial series for my first cosplay since I don't know really anything so I better start reading!

In addition to the copious reading you can do,
there are scores of 'Cosplay Foam Armor Tips' videos on youtube. Certainly many topics will be repeated by different vids, but that kinda stresses which ones are important enough that everyone talks about them.

I am likely going to spend way more time learning how to make a suit (pepk), than the time spend actually making it. But I consider the research to be part of the entertainment of crafting a costume, so its all good times

Hey jsg6! Welcome to the 405th first off, second like everyone above me mentioned there are tooooons of different resources out there for you to read. If I may throw in my 2 cents, I personally use 3/8 inch thick foam for the base and for smaller parts or details I use either 6mm or 2mm craft foam. You can find the foam online on amazon or other sites, or in your local Walmart or Sears. They are usually sold as gym floor mats. As for resources, I highly recommend you check out Evil Ted Smith on Youtube, as well as xRobots, and JFcustom's thread on the rpf. JFcustom's thread is HIGHLY useful and what I used to get started. Also, for glue I personally use contact cement, Barge in particular, but you can choose between that, hot glue, and other types of glue to your personal preferences. If you need any help with templates feel free to send me a message, and I'd be happy to help if the one you need is not on the file archives already. Good luck with your future projects! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back