Covenant/Forerunner (Armor) Projects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

Jr Member
Basically this is to post what other projects you are working on, BESIDES human technology. Jackals, Elites, Hunters, etc... just what your working on. Include pictures, and pep files if possible please.

Well im workin on a grunt suit with the armor and then the grunt itself like the grey skin and oversized forearms etc. i dont think anybody would make a jackal though they have ver little armor and are mostly just flesh and their energy shields ...

What about you? What are you working on?

Personally, I'm gonna tackle a Honor Guard Councillor, but that's not until I finish my Spartan Laser (which hasn't been started). Looked at the other 2 threads on Elite costume ideas, and they definately helped boost my own.

Body: Foam and stretch fabric, to which I'm gonna add liquid latex for that skin look where required. Upper body will rest on some football pads I bought during the summer.
Feet: Werewolf stilts as shown in the other thread.
Head: Clay Sculpture that will be cast in silicon, then a latex final product. Latex will then be filled with foam, and mounted to a helmet I wear.
Hands: Extended pulley system for usable fingers as shown in other thread. Will be covered in foam, then shrunk/coated in latex.
Armor: Hoping to find a pep file for Elite armor after I'm done with the bodysuit, but I might end up sculpting the pieces anyway. I'll have tons of leftover clay after the laser.....
Detail: LEDs and hopefully a weapon (time permitting). I dunno if I wanna get fancy and do the whole movable-mouth thing. Seems like a lot of extra work for a fairly bland feature. I'd rather focus on the basics.

What I'll get stuck on:
I know it's gonna happen.....I'm annoyed that it's gonna happen. So.....how exactly can/should I be able to sew a foam bodysuit into a stretch fabric without screwing up? I feel like I should have to wear both as I'm sewing, but that obviously sounds like a bad idea. Do I need a body-double to use as I make it work, or....what?

Also, who thinks a Councillor's Helmet is too impratical for me to be able to wear? It looks the freakin coolest in my opinion, but I'm worried it's gonna be too heavy or set my balance off too much. Ideas?

....and, pictures will come when I'm actually working on the suit. All I have started right now is a basic Elite-sized/dimensioned PVC stick-figure, and a pair of football pads. If that's amazing enough for a picture...uh....I guess I can put it up. (I do have a double-helix Fierce Deity sword though, and I looooove to show that off)

MysticLegend said:
What I'll get stuck on:
I know it's gonna happen.....I'm annoyed that it's gonna happen. So.....how exactly can/should I be able to sew a foam bodysuit into a stretch fabric without screwing up? I feel like I should have to wear both as I'm sewing, but that obviously sounds like a bad idea. Do I need a body-double to use as I make it work, or....what?

you can make a fiberglass body cast of yourself, or wear some old clothes and have a friend wrap you in duct tape, cut you out, then you duct tape over the cuts and fill with foam/newspaper even a PVC skeleton if you want. just a tip. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
thefreeman said:
you can make a fiberglass body cast of yourself, or wear some old clothes and have a friend wrap you in duct tape, cut you out, then you duct tape over the cuts and fill with foam/newspaper even a PVC skeleton if you want. just a tip. :)

I was afraid of that....
Tried to make a duct tape double last summer for my Fierce Deity costume, and ended up getting more annoyed with it. It....just felt wrong, like the dimensions were not working out. Would an expanding foam be a good filler?

Another question:
Considering that I'm sewing foam to the *inside* of a stretch fabric, should I put some more fabric between the foam and my skin? In other words.....should I sandwich the foam entirely within fabric?

MysticLegend said:
What I'll get stuck on:
thefreeman said:

Here is a great tutorial over on the League of Heroes forum made by j3nnyf3r37, for making a papertape bodycast. we may need a stronger form for our purposes just slap some resin on it and your off and rolling.

How to: Paper Tape Dressforms

=Jubal=

Thanks Jubal and thefreeman :)

Interesting how that tutorial used paper tape and fiberglass. Interesting idea, and it obviously worked. Still though....seems like an odd combination for a job that requires a bendable and flexable material. Paper tape doesn't like to collapse much around curves :unsure:

MysticLegend said:
Thanks Jubal and thefreeman :)

Interesting how that tutorial used paper tape and fiberglass. Interesting idea, and it obviously worked. Still though....seems like an odd combination for a job that requires a bendable and flexable material. Paper tape doesn't like to collapse much around curves :unsure:

being that we use fiberglass cloth so often, its understandable that is what we would think of first :)

but looking at the pic of the tape that was used
DSC00004.jpg

and the description
"j3nnyf3r37 @ The League of Heroes" said:
- paper tape- reinforced with fiberglass (available at Staples for around $8.. will make around 3 casts!)

after a little googling I found...
<a href="http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?&langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&productId=15488&cmArea=SEARCH" target="_blank">
s0035795_enl.jpg

Staples® Standard Grade Paper Packaging Tape</a>

costs $8.98, has fiberglass threads in it and needs water to make it bond, I would say this is what was used.

the water applied is what allows it to conform better to shape, also the tut says to use a thin strips in areas that have sharp curves

=Jubal=

Yeah that tape is amazing i always have to unwrap boxes @ my work packed up with it and its such a b%Z&ch to get off ..... that will definitely work

So after my whole grunt project im thinkin about makin a hunter suit ... even though im like 5' 6" ... and hunters are what 10/11 ft. tall lol im half their size :p

but ive got most of it planned out the spikes on the back will b attached to springs so when i walk they bounce like they do in the game also for the head im gonna have an orange ski mask (with just the eyes) and then ill wear the plate thing on top of that so pretty much im wearin the hunters head for a hat and my head is the neck .... get it sorta?

TwitchFMX8811 said:
Are you talking about using that instead of fiberglass cloth or mat.

nope, not for armor making, just for making a bodycast dressform for as stand for costume making, as stated previously in the tutorial

Jubal said:
nope, not for armor making, just for making a bodycast dressform for as stand for costume making, as stated previously in the tutorial

do you think it would work as a substitute? If it has fiberglass fibers in it would it hold up?

hunter idea sounds good altho it may be a little heavy on the head?? how will you attach it so it wont slide around and what not?

AF200XL said:
hunter idea sounds good altho it may be a little heavy on the head?? how will you attach it so it wont slide around and what not?

I have No idea! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back