Daft Punk Helmet Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I just started bondoing, but oh man is it going to take a while. I've been thinking that since I've planned on molding the helmet once it's done that I may just abandon bondo for a material I'm slightly more familiar with (And will allow me to finish much more quickly): clay. Now, I know I've heard people suggesting using clay to smooth and build up the model, but has anyone actually done it? Not that I don't want to be a pioneer, but I just want to see if there is anyone out there from whom I can learn from before moving on.

So, does anyone have any examples of pep designs built up with clay in order to mold them?

^-^Foxy~>

foxymcfox said:
Hey guys, I just started bondoing, but oh man is it going to take a while. I've been thinking that since I've planned on molding the helmet once it's done that I may just abandon bondo for a material I'm slightly more familiar with (And will allow me to finish much more quickly): clay. Now, I know I've heard people suggesting using clay to smooth and build up the model, but has anyone actually done it? Not that I don't want to be a pioneer, but I just want to see if there is anyone out there from whom I can learn from before moving on.

So, does anyone have any examples of pep designs built up with clay in order to mold them?

^-^Foxy~>

I'm doing the Guy-man helmet, and instead of bondo I'm using a combination of plaster and paper clay. Both are far cheaper and easier to work with than bondo, though they're not as strong. We'll see what happens when I try to vacuum form with it :)

~Bane

Last edited by a moderator:
http://www.mnpctech.com/case-mod-paint-com...mod-how-to.html

case.mod.paint9v.gif

this should be helpful... anybody try this technique?
it says it works on plastic..... i wonder if it will work on our fiberglassed helmets... cuz that would be pretty ill....

I used paperclay to shape my helmet...it's much easier to build up and work into a curved pattern than Bondo, plus it works just like your basic clasy (wet hand/finger - smooth - dry - sand).

Although, after it dries, I would recommend a coat of resin to strengthen it. Being a paper based product, it's not a solid surface, and can absorb some of it.

That's what I've learned from working with the stuff, and I'm very happy with the results!

4ng31 said:
I used paperclay to shape my helmet...it's much easier to build up and work into a curved pattern than Bondo, plus it works just like your basic clasy (wet hand/finger - smooth - dry - sand).

Although, after it dries, I would recommend a coat of resin to strengthen it. Being a paper based product, it's not a solid surface, and can absorb some of it.

That's what I've learned from working with the stuff, and I'm very happy with the results!
I can see why you went that route/ Even with a mouse sander and dremel I just can't see bondo being very time efficient when compared to clay or paperclay, especially considering that I was going to mold the finished helmet anyway. At least now that I've got it up I won't need to buy too much clay.

Looks like I'm going shopping (again) tomorrow.

^-^Foxy~>

foxymcfox said:
Even with a mouse sander and dremel I just can't see bondo being very time efficient, especially considering that I was going to mold the finished helmet anyway. At least now that I've got it up I won't need to buy too much clay.

Looks like I'm going shopping (again) tomorrow.

^-^Foxy~>

Lol...ya, I think you'll be happy with it...it's basically the same thing I did...throw Bondo on it to build it up, semi smooth it, and then used the clay for the detail smoothing. Worked great for me, should be good for you as well.

RadioaciveMicrobe said:
Looks good! But it may just be a teeny bit big.

And welcome to the 405th!

Thanks! I'm a kid though. Actually, The helmet is like, well, if your older like 18 or above, would be small. Once I vacuum form the helmet, I'd use the thickest plastic so I can vacuum form that and so on and son until it's the right size.

hey been looking at this. im interested in using the layouts you provided to print onto a simple cardboard layout and fold it together. its kinda shoddy but i need it for PAX this coming weekend. my buddy is gonna be guy-manuel but im thomas (always and forever :p) and i was wondering if i could get an eps of thomas, because i too am on a mac (i have a windows machine but it isnt hooked up to a printer, my mac is). also, how do i go about scaling and size? printing prefs? hmm. thanks so much for the help!

kingfoot said:
hey been looking at this. im interested in using the layouts you provided to print onto a simple cardboard layout and fold it together. its kinda shoddy but i need it for PAX this coming weekend. my buddy is gonna be guy-manuel but im thomas (always and forever :p) and i was wondering if i could get an eps of thomas, because i too am on a mac (i have a windows machine but it isnt hooked up to a printer, my mac is). also, how do i go about scaling and size? printing prefs? hmm. thanks so much for the help!

My printer is a USB one. If yours is USB or another type, just install it on windows by opening windows and putting the installation disc in.

Check here

[attachment=6148:post_804...06_thumb.jpg]

Here's my completed Thomas helmet. (Not using Pepakura)

[attachment=6149:IMG_0087.JPG]

RoboticShowOff said:
My printer is a USB one. If yours is USB or another type, just install it on windows by opening windows and putting the installation disc in.

no thats what i mean. i currently move my macbook to the printer to print it, where-as i cannot simply move my desktop pc to the printer, nor the printer to the pc. lol.

also how the heck am i supposed to figure out scaling? i can only print 8.5/11in on the printer at home. should i get jpgs of the file and go to kinkos to print on 12/18?

kingfoot said:
no thats what i mean. i currently move my macbook to the printer to print it, where-as i cannot simply move my desktop pc to the printer, nor the printer to the pc. lol.

also how the heck am i supposed to figure out scaling? i can only print 8.5/11in on the printer at home. should i get jpgs of the file and go to kinkos to print on 12/18?

Well, maybe a good idea. Also talk to the person who made the files. He helped me with a few PD tips.

i would pay good, very good money, if someone made me wither helmet. i'm going to try it myeslf but i have 0 experience and so i am not confident with what the result will be. i'm being serious, if anyone is up for it email me at npetrie76@yahoo.com. yay money.

npetrie said:
i would pay good, very good money, if someone made me wither helmet. i'm going to try it myeslf but i have 0 experience and so i am not confident with what the result will be. i'm being serious, if anyone is up for it email me at npetrie76@yahoo.com. yay money.
Once I mold mine, I may sell off one or two of them just to recoup some of my costs. I still have to finish modeling it though. I'll probably post an update, when I'm getting closer to that point, but based on the time and money I've put in so far (And the cost of getting a good chromed finish), don't expect it to be cheap.

^-^Foxy~>

edatron said:
oh i used to work at this store in Soho called Yellow Rat Bastard and i got this there. I think its from a brand called trip? or something... i dont know ill hafto go look. i remember after getting the coat i went online to see if they have other cool stuff... but all the stuff looked terribly cheap and hot-topic.

http://www.trippnyc.com/

theres the site.... . wow they make really stupid looking pants...

Hey um this is my first ost :p um i checked out yellow rat bastards website and they didnt have the coat :eek: :eek: i think that cvoat it the coolest nd stuff so i checked out the tripp website and they only let u see there stuff through the wholesale catalog o_O :eek: ug i really waqnt that coat so could u help me out here :oops: :mad: :( :cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back