Daft Punk Helmet Files

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm making one of each for me and my roommate to wear come Halloween time, check it out!
Guy-Man is just Pep at this point, Thomas is Bondo'd. I made slight modifications to the models to be more like discovery-era. I've got schematics ready to wire these for LEDs and Walkie-Talkie headsets so that he and I can talk to each other.
2853128901_647baeb241_b.jpg

Here's Thomas from the front.
2853964134_ca3b6d0aac_b.jpg

Here's Thomas from the side
2853129093_d296aa1380_b.jpg

Thomas being worn
2853146789_660f8184b2.jpg

Guy-Man Front
2853964276_f1368a4355_b.jpg

Guy-Man Side
2853129243_413f968be0_b.jpg

Guy-Man being worn
2829973334_b94651da1b_o.png

So yeah, I'm having a good time with these. I'm picking up a mouse sander today to help me out... anyone have any ideas what the heck to do for the visors?

Hi, New to the site but thanks to the info found here I'm at the final stages of my (or my daughters as it's a bit tight lol) Thomas helmet. I've included a pic of the stage it is at and a pic of my daughter modelling it at a trial fit stage earlier on in the build. She is modelling it and playing air guitar as I've promised to make her a replica guitar in the shape of the spaceship in Interstella 5555 (for any DP fans out there!)

I have a scrolling LED belt buckle to fit and have try fitted the visor with one layer of car window film but will probably go with two to get the correct level of darkness. I'm not really happy with the LED display as it is flat and almost complete obscures vision but time is running out for Halloween so I'll go with it and look for a better solution later. Anyway on to the pics! :)

5vrhfs.jpg

vhgdqa.jpg

Oh and trial visor!

rj0cvb.jpg

i know theres a bunch of imperfections around the ears of my helmet... but its hardcuz im trying to finish both before halloween so my girlfriend and i have costumes to wear lol!
theres still some tape around the ears (actually these translucent cups) so when i remove it the RGB color changing LED inside will show through the ears...
IMG_0826.jpg

IMG_0827.jpg

the Guy helmet has been fiberglasses on the inside... im consulting some friends to see how i can get it vacuum formed at our school.

IMG_0824.jpg

okay so my friend says... that vacuum forming that would be impossible because of its complex shape... and because it has undercuts.... apparently ..... a fiberglassed pep helm can not withstand the pressure of our schools vacuum former... (40 - 50 pounds.)

anybody here got any suggestions? i would hate to resort to "eye holes"

edatron said:
okay so my friend says... that vacuum forming that would be impossible because of its complex shape... and because it has undercuts.... apparently ..... a fiberglassed pep helm can not withstand the pressure of our schools vacuum former... (40 - 50 pounds.)

anybody here got any suggestions? i would hate to resort to "eye holes"

you could definitely vacuuform it. just cut the visor out and fill it with urethane, then add shims as needed so that you raise up the top of the visor just enough that you avoid undercuts altogether. Just mark and cut it when you're done.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've created a custom flat template based on a sculpt I've done of Bangalter's helmet. I traced the patterns on to mat board and have begun assembling it. I'm placing my order for a batting helmet sometime this week, so, hopefully I'll have my new toy done soon.

Here it is roughly held together by tape:

DSCN0747.jpg

And here it is roughly held together by tape, with the top brim in place:

DSCN0745.jpg

Since these pictures I have hot glued everything into place except for the top brim. I'm going to wait until my batting helmet comes in to do that so I can make sure I get the best fit possible. I've also begun on the ears, and should be done them very shortly.

I hope to have some more progress soon.

^-^Foxy~>

Hey all :)

I've just finished my Thomas helmet, and it's just in time for Halloween! Yessss...

I didn't have the money to get it chromed, or even buy some of the more expensive chrome paint, so I decided to go for a brushed metal look, because I didn't really like the plain silver all that much. I think it puts a nice spin on it, makes it look a little more....industrial? Maybe? Anyway, I like it :)

So here are some pics. Sorry they're kind of crappy, but I had to use my Cellphone Cam.

Here it is in progress. Yes I plan to wear it with a suit. Or a motorcycle Jacket.
Helmet_4.jpg

Here's the finished Product.
Helmet_1.jpg

And another angle.
Helmet_2.jpg

And Here it is completed and modeled. I need a black turtleneck or some kind of hood to wear underneath.
Helmet_3.jpg

So what do you guys think?

Lots of good progress pics from people since I last checked. Keep up the great work, everything's looking good!

~Bane

*Edit*

I have now a picture of the completed costume, check it out :)

Thomas_Costume_Complete.jpg

~Bane

oh man, that is so awesome, I can't find words for it. And I don't know why :lol: It's like daft punk: I like then, but I'm not sure why.
Go crazy! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

dyeinbreed said:

i basically want you dead.
so i can steal the right one from you.
more than anything.
i'm so effing jealous.
i want that so bad!
price?
hahahahaha.

n34600723_31670255_7200.jpg

n34600723_31670240_2076.jpg

n34600723_31670234_99.jpg

lol halloween was fun!
it sucks all the chrome paint got all fingerprinty...... maybe i should have clearcoated it...
but the chrome got duller and duller as the night went on.... i just couldn't keep the helmet on it kept fogging up.. and i had no mobility with the gloves so i kept taking htem off and putting htem int the helmet while i held the helmet and put fingerprints all over it T_T

Looks great, Edatron! Very nice costumes. Did a lot of people recognize your costumes, or no? I had to tell almost every single person who I was! It got kind of annoying, lol. It was still a lot of fun though, of course :)

~Bane

Ive seen some pretty sick helmets so i decided to try it out so heres what i got so far:

just pep baseball helmet soda cans and masking tape for now

(masking tape is just temporary)

100_8441.jpg

100_8440.jpg

100_8443.jpg

tell me what you think. is it spaced and layed out right? the pep is a lil small cause it doent quite strech all the way over on each side but do u think its fine?

Bane said:
Looks great, Edatron! Very nice costumes. Did a lot of people recognize your costumes, or no? I had to tell almost every single person who I was! It got kind of annoying, lol. It was still a lot of fun though, of course :)

~Bane

nahh im lucky i live in a place like manhattan... and when my girlfriend and i went to parties id say 50% knew we were daft punk! the dj knew lol he saw us and even span a couple of daft punk songs for us to dance to... it was awesome ppl wanted to take pictures with us and we would like dance attack unsuspecting pedestrians.

I wanna bump this for a reason...

It was brought to my attention earlier that people from this site (Sigma) are posting links to this thread about the hemlets on other prop forums.

I don't appreciate this, as these helmets were done between 3 people (2 channers and myself)...not the 405th. I posted these files up here because I knew the community HERE had been asking for them.

I never intended this board to "assume" credit for these helmet files.

So please...for future reference...watch where you cross link this thread and who you give credit to.

As both the originator of the project back on /po/ and a member of this board, I give my approval for 405th linking. Others have contributed with their own files or with work on mine, but my original stuff is free to link around.

IIRC, that would be the original "long ear" Thomas helm, the 3ds files of the lo-res Guy-Man helm, the hi-res Guy-Man helm, and the unedited hand plates. Everything else I've done has been worked on in some way or another (texturing, sizing, unfolding) so give credit where credit is due. But I've no ego about my own work, and I'd rather people come to the 405th, where they'll get proper instructions on how to turn these files into quality wearable pieces, than watch them struggle with them and not get the results they want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back