Daft Punk Helmets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyeinbreed

I've been scouring this forum for the past month before I decided to finally post in here. I read all the topics and stickies and looked at some of the fantastic creations that were made here (this place has some serious talent) and finally started. I picked up many tips and tricks that have helped me throughout this process. Well to show you where I am at this moment:

(and yes I have been using a respirator and proper safety equipment)

The guy manuel helmet is pretty much done being smoothed, I finished it off with 40 grit last night (need to update pictures soon) and will be spot filling the low points and pin holes and then move to 80 grit, then probably 120 and then hit it with some high fill primer, and then with 400 grit, primer again, and then i will wet sand the hell out of it. The Thomas helmet is currently having fiberglass cloth added to the inside and then it will go through the same process.

The visors are going to be interesting to do. The full face visor I will be vacuum forming, and the Thomas helmet I will use a strip of plexiglass and then form it with the heatgun.

What I need help most with is getting an LED sequencer, The lights on the side are going to be hard to do and so far I can find an el wire sequencer which is what I'll end up with unless I can find one for LED's.

I'll hopefully give more updates in the next couple days.

Pictures:
guyhelmetalekseu4.jpg

daftpunkaleks2ug7.jpg

Woooot! Fosters FTW! :D Seriously though, It's looking fantastic. I should get off my lazy butt and actually start the helmets. I've been wanting to do them since they came out ;)

box o crayons said:
nice but you should cut out the visor before you do to much to it and vacu form it so y0ou can see out of it

I will, it's just easier for me to make sure everything is smooth now than it would be if the parts were separate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ended up finding a solution to my lighting problems, heres a video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj32PBvMi_w

I built a vacuum box, I have a 6hp shopvac, and a 24x48 sheet of clear PETG coming in tomorrow so I should be well on my way soon.

Padding the inside I will probably be using foam and then get some headliner fabric to put over the foam to make it comfortable.

After halloween I will maybe make a mold and recast this a few times because the fiberglass is pretty heavy especially with all the bondo thats needed.

img0381ya6.jpg

img0379cb3.jpg

img0383pw6.jpg

Vacuum forming complete.

If anyone wants to buy one of these and make their own helmet send me a PM.

No that I have a vacuum former I may make an EVA mask.

Fenix Chief said:
Just a Question: What exactly are daft punk helmets? I dunno really anything about them.

a musical group that you don't see in person because they wear these awesome helmets.
aleksdpft3.jpg

ILikeCats said:
That is the most awesome thing I have ever seen. So aren't you going to put LEDs on the visors?
Lol 3:43 am....
He did say something about LED sequencers, which would lead me to think he was planning on it.
Most people don't because... well... it's like, impossible to make it look as good as the originals. I don't see how they see out of those helmets!
anyways. Those helmets are looking awesome! You win four internets.

saw this on youtube it might be helpful.

"-EDIT- Now 100% done!! vid of completed helmet with LED front screen on my channel
-----------------------------------

I'm now 90% done with my mark-2 helmet. Still working on the LED front screen (Lots of work...) but I figured I'd give you guys a preview of my new diggs.

I tried to get closer to the newer/slimmer version of the helmet. Better EL and EL drivers helped free up some internal room and let me shrink it down. The lights are way(2-3x) brighter this time. Colors don't come out quite right since my camera tints the top 90% redish."

video:

Yeah I've seen that helmet, its a great inspiration, though mine will be a little different.

I do have the led sequencer but am having a tough time figuring out how I will make the actual light bars, so worst comes to worst I'll have to figure out the light bars after halloween, but I really want to get it done since that makes the helmet!

Anyways here are some pictures of the Thomas helmet my roommate is working on.

thomashelmetvr4.jpg

thomashelmet2ki5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back