Delta's Foam Reach Trooper WIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deltalead38

Jr Member
Hi guys!

Since my ODST build slowed to a stop, shriveled up, died, and became a necro, I have finally decided a suit of armor that I will FINISH! I am going to make a UNSC Reach Trooper/Marine out of cross-link camping mat foam, using these templates. TD2253 HAND DREW and SCALED these templates himself! So I have decided to try and imitate his ABSOLUTELY and AMAZING work, even though I am using a different material. So far I have carved out the 'main pieces' of the armor, but the shoulders still have one piece each to be cut out. I have not assembled anything yet (obviously), but I hope to finish cutting out all of the pieces soon. Here are some PICTURES! (that you have been so patiently waiting for)

FIRST: The pile o' crap!
Thepile.jpg

SECOND: Shoulder progress! I still need to carve out the part between the top nub and the bottom 'extra plate' (both shoulders are in this condition)
shoulder.jpg

THIRD: The Chest pieces! My pieces are pretty warped (it was a camping pad, so it curled) I was too impatient to wait for it to flatten fully :p Does anyone know a good way to fix this?
chest.jpg

FOURTH: The Back pieces! This is just the base layer, but the pieces are a BIT warped...
back.jpg

FIFTH: The TOTAL PROGRESS!!! Here are all the pieces I have done so far! (I forgot to include the bottom latch pieces on the chest piece in the chest piece photos)
progresssofar.jpg

I will be gone to scout camp for the next week, but I will jumpstart progress after the week is over! I am still debating on whether it should be Arctic themed, or Forest themed... anyways, hope you guys like it so far! Constructive criticism is ALWAYS welcome!

- Delta out

Update!

Okay guys, so I FINALLY have an update again. Started working on my armor once again just now, and made a bit of progress. I STILL have not assembled anything, but I will get to hot gluing in a few days. Here are some PICTURES!

First off, here are all of the pieces I have recently cut:
P1000912.jpg

Next, the full back assembly:
P1000913.jpg

Now, the full shoulder assembly (these pieces are mounted on a base plate):
P1000914.jpg

And finally, here is the full progress picture:
P1000915.jpg

BONUS! Here are all the templates laid out:
P1000910.jpg
(this photo was taken by my brother, Stormtrooper1138 [he is new to the forum])

If you guys know any good ways to flatten out very stubborn foam, please let me know. Also, constructive criticism is ALWAYS welcome! Thanks!

-Delta out

Yeah a heat gun would work but theyre not cheap. You just need the heat. A hair dryer hotwater or leav it in the sun would work probably

Looking really sharp. Great colour to be working with.

I notice Walmart (Canada) has low end hear guns on special for $25 every few months near the paint department.

Sometimes with cardstock, I curl the paper in the opposite direction with my hands, then apply pressure using a couple text books overnight. Works well - not sure if foam would work...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back