Did i just cause cancer in my whole family?

Status
Not open for further replies.

death

Well i went down to the basement, in an unfinished room, and opened 2 windows across from each other for a cross breeze. When i finished applying the first coat of resin, i came upstairs and my dad said "jeez Anthony, that reeks" so now i am worried that i just gave my whole family cancer. The smell made it upstairs. Any input anyone?

I wouldnt say you can cause cancer, but if exposed to resin fumes for a long period of time, especially indoors, you will get a lung infection and have a HUGE medical bill, and of course...be sick and need some time off resin.

Did someone forget to buy a respirator?

Nope i didn't forget a respirator, just that the smell came up through the floor and i didnt want to cause health probs. to my entire family.

This should have been done in a garage or outside, if you have room, move it to the garage, the fumes will go away in your house if you move the pieces outside/garage. Resin will smell for a few weeks.

If you have ionic air purifier, this may help with the fumes, I put mine in my garage where my resin pieces sat, most of the smell was sucked up and made into a goo on the metal plates, cleaned it up, and everything was A ok.

Rofl dude exposure once is not gonna give them cancer. They would need to be exposed tons of times before it happens.
Believe me. Cancer is only the mutation of cells. The best thing to do is take some antioxidants, that will flush the free radicals from your/their systems. Just go outside next time kiddo.

HAHAHAHHA! I warned you in the other thread;) I would not lose any sleep over it man. The smell should dissipate soon. What you may want to do is resin it in the garage and warm it with a heater of some sort rotating it to warm the entire piece but DO NOT put it too close, resin is flammable. Mine cured in a couple of hours with this method and then I moved it to the basement to fully cure. It stunk a little but not nearly as much as resining inside. I am also about to experiment with a new product I found called Sculpt or Coat. It is non toxic and the maker claims it will make the armor hard. I will update after I give it a whirl.

If you want the smell gone fast, the eaisest thing to do is BAKE THE THING in the sun, but since it's winter and cloudy all the time, a portable heater in our garage 3 feet from your piece will bake it, do it for 2 hours each side. It will have a nice hard shape and the smell will be nearly gone, resin will always smell like resin for a while, but the main toxic smell will go away with the heater.

I baked my armor in the sun during the summer and after 2-3 hours on each side, it was hard and the smell was gone.

Lol thanks guys. I don't have a garage, but i do have a large shed. And, my dad forbade me from doing it in the house anymore anyway. So, i called my grandfather who loaned me a space heater that is in the shape of a small satellite dish. It does a great job of focusing the heat at one spot. Also, should i resin the whole thing and just spin the helmet after one side cures? or would it be easier to just resin one side at a time?

good thing your dad caught you, but you are pretty safe from cancer, the only thing dangerous is if you got it on your skin, or the fiberglass mats.

yeah, just resin the whole thing at once. but i really have no say in it.

Resining at once may make it fall apart or smash down, I'd do the chin up, you can do all sides if you want, as long as the resin doesnt touch the newspaper.

Yeah, Listen to AoBfrost, he has more experience than i do.

but i'll get there someday.

if you listen to me, chances are yeah, your project will be wrecked. so dont.

Actually I resined my helmet upside down, I resined the top, then flipped it over after it dried, then started doing the visor, then the chin. Then after the first coat, I just globbed it all on for a second coat.

Lets just crack a window and give all our families cancer... for the holidays! It's festive!

Sorry but a one-time exposure to a hazardous material won't give you cancer. The guys who get cancer or long-term health problems form chemical exposure are ALWAYS cases of occupational exposure.... as in they worked with it every day for 20+ years and then they got cancer or brain damage.

Still, a journey of miles begins with a single step. ALWAYS USE A RESPIRATPR AND WORK IN AN AREA WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION. DO NOT...I REPEAT DO NOT USE RESIN INSIDE YOUR HOUSE.

i swear, every reference to resin has a reference to how bad for you it is. I just think it's interesting. :)

So anyways, I did my helmet all over, and it worked. it warped a bit, but nothing putting in the visor didn't fix.

Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back