Different Method Of Reinforcement ...possibly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieTrooper

Jr Member
Hi guys,

I was at bunnings the other day (its a hardware store here in Oz) and I walked through the gardening section by accident and saw a whole bunch of rolled up chicken wire for around $10.

This got me thinking - could it be an alternative to fibreglass cloth or mat? Chicken wire is very flexible, and wouldn't it be just as effected once covered in resin?

Its a lot safer to work with than fibreglass too.

Has anyone considered or done this? I might look into it more once I get up to the reinforcement stage.

Thoughts please ladies and gentleman.

It will definately reinforce your helmet. but you'd need at least a few layers of it and you would probably use up more fiberglass resin (possibly negating the money you save in the long run).
I've never done anything like that though, so I'm not sure if it would provide as much support as the fiberglass cloth. You could give it a shot though, I doubt it would be a total waste.
Good luck!

Go with fiberglass, it has been chemically designed to work with resin, causing an exothermic reaction making it strong.
Besides, fiberglass is cheap, resin is expensive.

-FSS

Finnish_Spartan said:
Go with fiberglass, it has been chemically designed to work with resin, causing an exothermic reaction making it strong.
Besides, fiberglass is cheap, resin is expensive.

-FSS

Yeah that is true, but I was also thinking about the other benefits such as the easiness to work with and the practically no danger to your health (unless you eat it).

I'm going to be using aqua resin or the like for my resining, so I might give it a go with this. That way, this will be a completely toxin free armour that is stronger than just having hot glue reinforcements on the inside.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back