Don't Have Mc Sized Muscles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyCoz

When I was scaling my arm pieces, I built quite a few size testers trying to find the best size. If I scaled them to fit the diameter if my arms, then the resulting pep was way too small for my chest armor. If I scaled them to match my chest armor, then they were way too wide for my arms. After alot of trial & error I ended up going with the larger size because they looked the best with my other parts, and I was going to just pad the interior to make them work.
I never really liked that idea and kept trying to come up with a better option. Here it is:

forearmmodify001.jpg

forearmmodify002a.jpg

forearmmodify002b.jpg

forearmmodify003.jpg

forearmmodify004.jpg

forearmmodify005.jpg

forearmmodify006.jpg

forearmmodify007.jpg

forearmmodify008.jpg

Here's what I'm planning to do with the biceps
forearmmodify009.jpg

Is this a tutorial? It might work idk. I thought in pepakura you had to give the height and the width of your arm?

Nice job finding that out by yourself Lol

TheSpartanMjolnir said:
Is this a tutorial? It might work idk. I thought in pepakura you had to give the height and the width of your arm?

You can adjust those values in pepakura, but you cannot change the height to width ratio. (making a model taller also makes it wider).

Last edited by a moderator:
TheSpartanMjolnir said:

Nice job finding that out by yourself Lol

Sorry.. That had to be the most retarded post ever.

It does work.. He clearly has pictures of the final outcome in his post. It also mentions nothing about the scale of the arm but the width..

Great job JoeyCoz.

Eh, I like the idea, but I doubt I'll use it. Mainly because you have to factor in the under armor and the fiberglass layer. Plus, if you modify it like that, it's gonna make you look like a wimpy Chief. :p

smilie120 said:
Sorry.. That had to be the most retarded post ever.

It does work.. He clearly has pictures of the final outcome in his post. It also mentions nothing about the scale of the arm but the width..

Great job JoeyCoz.

I meant it might not work for me, meaning i might not want to try that idea.

I think he said something aboutscaling a couple times in the first few sentences

Modification, it is the key to everything in life! What works for one, may not for another...

"Overcome and adapt" - USMC

Nicely done

im glad i wasnt the only one with this idea. i spliced mine on the same part of the forearm so it wouldn't be so bulky , and surprisingly it dosent make it look to different ....and i dont plan on wearing really bulky under armor or pressure suit or any thing so its what im doing...thanx for posting some pics about it...i was tired of explaining it lolz.....but i did mine at the pep stage so it would be easier to patch the edges around the opening .. and i have long arms so i have to do a pretty big size for my forearms so i think trimming them down is gonna make it more proportionate considering im no spartan(yet!).lolz any ways props dude keep it up....

I always wondered if you could cut the forearm somehow to make it fit, if I had known this a week ago I wouldn't have wasted all that cardstock... Thanks for posting this, should help a lot of people and keep them from wasting cardstock.

you could always use padding... but nice idea anyways, just seems like more work.

Enrisan said:
you could always use padding... but nice idea anyways, just seems like more work.
if you do it at the pep stage its like nothing at all really

I'm the opposite... wrist too small to fit hand through, but fits my wrist just right... top of piece fits well also... so I'm hinging...

good description with the pics...

yea i cut mine like that and it worked out great but i had to hollow the wrist just a little
P1604090001.jpg

P1604090002.jpg

Jjack said:
yea i cut mine like that and it worked out great but i had to hollow the wrist just a little...
I found the same problem after I fiberglassed mine. I had to cut out so much of the wrist cuff just to get my hand in, that it really made the armor look like crap. I'm making a new pair right now and I even added a couple centimeters to the length to help make the wrist cuff a bit bigger. abrant3 came up with an easy solution as well(check out his video below at about the 1min 30 second mark). I tried to put in the relief cuts after I fiberglassed, but I had already laid in the fiberglass too thick and the things were too stiff to "hinge". When I redo the forearms, I'll only use 1 or two layers of cloth in that area instead of the 3 layers of mat that I typically lay up.

wow nice, I just tried your idea with the bicep, worked great. Me, being a 14 year old, and it doesnt help that im 5.8 and skinny, have no where near enough muscle to fit these pieces. So thats where your idea brightened my day, My suit will live!!!! :lol:

I also think, it works better with pep'd pieces. so just a lil' hint to save some resin!

Nice!
I think I may have to try this..
I've been looking everywhere, and all they say is extra padding.
Since I'm 6 foot and pretty skinny haha

So I'll either try one forearm with padding and resize the other, see whats better.
:lol:

old thread but a goody

anywho

a better tip would be that:

You should modify the part before you resin it since it's only paper opposed to plastic afterwords

Jjack said:
yea i cut mine like that and it worked out great but i had to hollow the wrist just a little...
I found the same problem after I fiberglassed mine. I had to cut out so much of the wrist cuff just to get my hand in, that it really made the armor look like crap. I'm making a new pair right now and I even added a couple centimeters to the length to help make the wrist cuff a bit bigger. abrant3 came up with an easy solution as well(check out his video below at about the 1min 30 second mark). I tried to put in the relief cuts after I fiberglassed, but I had already laid in the fiberglass too thick and the things were too stiff to "hinge". When I redo the forearms, I'll only use 1 or two layers of cloth in that area instead of the 3 layers of mat that I typically lay up.

No, Don't do the "relief cuts" like I used to do. That was an experiment gone bad. I ended up using this same technique you're describing to get my hand through.

Nice work, BTW! If you still wanted MC sized muscles, just keep the model the way it is and go buy some 1" furniture padding from the fabrics section in any arts and crafts store or the like, and use spray adhesive to install padding around the inside; especially on the bigger opening at the end. Then spray paint it black. Works like a charm and won't budge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back