Dremel Tool question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, here is the deal. I am about to leave for my dads soon and I am thinking of picking up a dremel. I did some research though and see that, well... it seems to be a brand? What exactly does a dremel help with when it comes to paper craft and armor and what should I be looking for, there are so many packages.

The only thing I know to look for is an electric one, what attachments should I purchase with it?

Edit: Looks as if I am looking for a rotary tool after I did more research. Will most dremel brand attachments fit other brands? Or do I have to buy brand specific.

no, it really doesnt matter what brand you purchase, i have a black and decker wizard rotary tool, found here and it works jsut fine. from my experience, dremel and the wizard can use the same attachments, too! i have a bunch of dremel brand attachments for mine and they work just fine.

DemonSandWizard said:
no, it really doesnt matter what brand you purchase, i have a black and decker wizard rotary tool, found here and it works jsut fine. from my experience, dremel and the wizard can use the same attachments, too! i have a bunch of dremel brand attachments for mine and they work just fine.
Thank you!
Also, what role does a dremel play in pep armor?

Last edited by a moderator:
its for detailing the armor after you have applied all the resin and fiberglass, and bondo or putty. its for making small details, such as panel lines and the like. you will have to examine images of the actual mc helm from ingame to see what im talking about. you could probaly get away without it, but its probably nice to have if you want your armor looking as detailed as possible.

FuncootForever said:
Thank you!
Also, what role does a dremel play in pep armor?

Dremel helped me alot in the process. Grinding down thick layers of resin, drips that form at the bottom which will be a paint to sand by hand. Also, to grind down your extra layers of fiberglassed cloth around the edges.. It also help's to cut if you need to.

407_th.jpg

446_pd.jpg

420_th.jpg

If you fiberglass your helm, it helps cutting out things like vents, or the visor if its resined, or triming the neck hole to fit big ears (min)... Great for small detail work, and if you double visor, its great for cutting it out...

Either will work, they are both quality brands, their general bits and tools are interchangale, like cutting weels and sanding disks and such... No need to get the most expensive one, and the packaged deals are likely to have little extra tools that are use specific, and you wouldn't need them, just a standard Dremel, with a few different cutting wheels, I used a reinforced cutting wheel alot... and a few grinding tools... mini sandpaper basically...

DemonSandWizard said:
lol nice. did u decide if u wanted the black and decker one lik mine or the dremel one?
I think it'll be more of a at the moment decision. When ever I plan to pick up a specific model, they never have what I want. :p

Reinforced cutting wheels and coarse grit sanding drums are a must. Also if you buy dremel you can upgrade later with a flexible shaft attachment that make overall use much, much easier.

Don't forget a good respirator when you are at the store. ;)

Sean Bradley said:
Reinforced cutting wheels and coarse grit sanding drums are a must. Also if you buy dremel you can upgrade later with a flexible shaft attachment that make overall use much, much easier.

Don't forget a good respirator when you are at the store. ;)

thats funny you shjould say that. i have that exact same thing for my wizard. i have an engraving bit, and its like writing with that thing. mines like 2 feet long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back