Duke's CEA Army BDU - Jungle Marine

Just a quick update. I'm back to the foam and finally have a piece close to test fitting! Should have more progress this weekend!

20230223_114541.jpg

I didn't make it in time for ECCC, but still on track for Otafest!

Been working on the helmet. Glued together using ABS slurry and superglue. Epoxy putty on some seams. Reinforced with Rondo and starting the smoothing process with 3m Spot Putty.

20230225_230840.jpg
20230228_101438.jpg

20230306_100309.jpg

20230306_103031.jpg

PS: this is the forum Lukavago

Attachments

• 20230303_100320.jpg
    20230303_100320.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 60
Thanks for going out of your way to point this out to my blind self! ODST first, but I think I'll have to do a marine as a simple travel build. Why not? Maybe I'll steal Turbo's pilot.

I finally glued the chest piece together and I'm so happy with it!

I've been stuck and putting it off for weeks because:

1. This chest has a lot of layers that are hard to fit together.
2. I want it to be comfortable and strong
3. I want it to look good.
4. It needs to be able to support the backpack
5. It has to store in my check bag.

20230307_213756.jpg

Last edited:
Lots of little progress is big progress right?!

I managed to build up the top of the helmet seam with regular bondo. It's not perfect, but it's a lot better.

I also resined the backs of the thin buckles and spot putty'd the front.
20230310_084435.jpg

I wanted to make the range finder magnetic, but I didn't want a bare magnet showing on the helmet when I didn't have it attached.

So I cut out a piece of metal and used epoxy to stick it in (both sides for symmetry). Then I used epoxy to affix 3 magnets to the range finder and epoxy putty to fill out the circle so it remained flat.

20230310_085609.jpg20230310_231708.jpg

I haven't been slacking! Last week I got a motivation boost when SubXzeroXhero let me come over and work on my marine at his place! Pizza, SW Rebels and foam. Great time.

Added 2mm foam details to the biceps, ab plate and cod piece as well as the chest which now has the obligatory googly eyes!

20230317_213947.jpg
20230317_214030.jpg
20230317_221950.jpg

I'm also not ashamed to show you that my foam work doesn't always look that great starting out. But, with a little sanding and Kwik Seal these shoulders should be ready for duty.

20230317_214057.jpg

Weather permitting I might be able to coat these guys in rubber this weekend!

This build is looking really good PerniciousDuke . I'm at Planet in KC this weekend and was just thinking how much I need a light armor option. You and turbo look so comfy!

ArcSol has the ONI Operative I built, says it probably is comfier than a Spartan suit, but still plenty hot with lots of layers. I'm hoping to eliminate a layer or two with this suit.

You look great though!

I still want to trade out the velcro on Arcs shoulders with snaps. When I have my armor party, I might try to convince y'all to let me do that! On the subject of shoulders, yours are looking fantastic Duke.

I still want to trade out the velcro on Arcs shoulders with snaps. When I have my armor party, I might try to convince y'all to let me do that! On the subject of shoulders, yours are looking fantastic Duke.
ArcSol's biceps will be snaps before Otafest.

EDIT:

I spent a solid four hours from start to finish on these two thighs.

20230318_121158.jpg

20230318_213138.jpg

Last edited:
Lucked out today without having to do much work since I saved the Decals I made for ArcSol's ONI Operative. Just had to change the name.

Reach Marine Decals duke.png

Test printed for sizing:

20230320_124646.jpg

Decals made using GIMP. Original work file below available for editing.

Attachments

• Reach Marine Decals duke.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 76
Well, the weather turned nice sooner than I thought it would!

I managed to get 2 coats of Flex Seal on my foam pieces. I'm not thrilled with how aggressive the orange peel texture is. I'm thinking I might try another layer of Plasti Dip, otherwise I'll wet sand the base paint layer which should help.

20230322_162611.jpg
20230322_162628.jpg

I love your method for covering your arm while spraying :-D
Haha, yeah I've spray painted my arm enough times! Though I forgot to take off my shoes this time. Might have ruined brand new shoes!

For my arm, I wrapped it in a small trash bag and taped it together with masking tape.

I'm going to start painting the foam tonight! Starting with just primer, but if it goes well I might be able to add some color.

I haven't settled on what yet, but I should know by the end of tonight what looks good together.

I also made up this collage of close up shots. It may not be the color I'm going for, but it will show me where the primary (tan), secondary (gray), accent (silver) colors and decals will go.

Painting Collage.png

EDIT:

1st off, if there are any first timers following... Me sharing images like the above references or below color tests are for me. So useful to come back next week and have the question, "now which silver did I use for this?" answered within moments.

I did my color test and I think I nailed it. Khaki, Gunmetal and Silver for the little tabs. Also he4thbar , below are some examples of tan I referenced earlier.

20230329_165523.jpg

So I managed to get two coats of Grey primer on everything (except I forgot the helmet at home!)

20230329_171243.jpg

I tried to start a base coat, but quickly stopped once I noticed the cracking (gases from previous layers trying to escape)

20230329_171302.jpg

I hit the second shoulder with a heat gun before trying the tan and it made less cracks, but still not good so I stopped.

20230329_171257.jpg

I also took a stab at my gunmetal layer and I really like it.
20230329_171314.jpg

Last edited:
Sad. My camo khaki paint just won't shake the cracking issue. he4thbar I had to ditch that paint. Will try to find another color.

Rustoleum lists it as an Acrylic and I was using it with Rustoleum's Flat Grey Primer and even after 72 hours of cure time, the base paint is still cracking a lot.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 10 months old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back