Durabuilt Rotary Tool Reliable/worth It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronCostumer

Hey guys, I went to Target today in hopes of finding a cheap rotary tool. I found an $29.99 rotary tool with 80pc accessories on ebay, but I wanted better. I found in the tool section the Durabuilt Rotary tool. It's also $29.99 but has flexible shaft attachment and 102pc accessories. I'm having trouble finding reviews through Google so I was hoping one of you had some experience with it and could give me some advice about whether I should buy it or not. This would be my first rotary tool, and I would use it on my first piece of armor, and also on nerf guns. So if you guys could give me some help that would be greatly appreciated. Heres the link to the Target page for it: Durabuilt Rotary Tool

All the consumer level rotary tools I have seen are Chinese made (Dremel too) and of questionable durability. I would buy the cheapest possible and simply replace it under warranty when it burns out. Harbor Freight is good for this.

Spend the money now and get the best thing you can afford. Consider you will probably use whatever you buy for the next 4-5 years.

I bought the cordless stylus dremel and I'm sorta-happy with it, although I wish I would have just got the best and most expensive dremel that they had.

I have heard that the newer Dremels aren't nearly as robust as they used to be. That being said, I still have my original Dremel that I got in 1995. I have kicked the crap out of it over the last 14 years and it still gets the job done. Hobby use, commercial use, the whole deal. I don't have any experience with the Durabuilt tool but I generally recommend buying the absolute best you can afford. There really is no substitute for quality tools...

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Hamsterstyle said:
Spend the money now and get the best thing you can afford. Consider you will probably use whatever you buy for the next 4-5 years.

I bought the cordless stylus dremel and I'm sorta-happy with it, although I wish I would have just got the best and most expensive dremel that they had.

You missed the point. They're all the same. Look harder at a Dremel. Compare it to another cheaper tool. Where it matters, motor and bearings, are of the same quality. Sometimes identical. You can also see this with lawn string trimmers. Lowes had 4 different brands on offer but the engines were the same. Only the plastic shrouds differ.

Last edited by a moderator:
rube said:
You missed the point. They're all the same. Look harder at a Dremel. Compare it to another cheaper tool. Where it matters, motor and bearings, are of the same quality. Sometimes identical. You can also see this with lawn string trimmers. Lowes had 4 different brands on offer but the engines were the same. Only the plastic shrouds differ.

Your post wasn't up when I replied to the original poster, so I didn't read your post until after wards. But regardless you are probably right about all of them being the same.

I'm moderatly happy with my dremel, it does fine, although it does have issues cutting through thick acrylic.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, so now I'm confused. You're saying to buy the most expensive one, even though the cheaper ones are pretty much the same besides their shell? Because I was planning on using a $40 birthday debit card to buy a rotary tool, and buying one thats overpriced for no reason would not make me happy. Because the Durabuilt one seems like a pretty good deal.

You get what you pay for. If you want cheap, go here, but I wouldn't expect it to last very long: $9.99 Rotary Tool

If you want something quality, get a top brand like Dremel, Ryobi etc. In my experience they do last longer.

The newer dremels have a speed adjust slider switch that wears out within a few years time. The rest of the unit will last much longer, but for the price it's not really worthwhile to custom replace the switch. Keep the worn out units for parts that can be used for repairs like motor brushes, mandrel shafts and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back