"Easy Mode" for a beginner builder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EndWggn

Howdy,

I'm not entirely new to building armor; about 6 years ago I started an ODST build. However, I never finished it due to general issues working with the paper (I felt it was flimsy) and crushing (don't have a great place to store projects, ended up getting damaged a bit)

I'm back in the mood to try again, but I'm wondering if this time there's a better way for a beginner to start. Not necessarily the cheapest way, but an easier one. Like, is EVA an easier material to work with even if its more expensive? etc.

Question. On your first attempt did you use regular paper or cardstock? Typically people who use the Pepakura method use cardstock since its much sturdier than paper and can hold its shape.

As for an 'Easy Mode' there really isn't one. Both pepakura and EVA foam have its own skill sets to learn. The best thing you can do is do your homework on both methods. Then choose which one suits you and your build space best.
When you do choose your method.... Do some more reading, watch a couple of tutorial vids. There are plenty of those here on the forums and on YouTube.
When you finally get to the build stage start simple. EvilTed & Punished Props sometimes has free templates of very basic helmets or pauldrons that you can download and use to practice.
Once you feel comfortable after practice then tackle a full suit build.

To borrow a phrase from Dirtdives: Your build should be thought of as a marathon and not a sprint. Take your time with your build to get the best results. Rushing through it will lead to mistakes and frustration that, in turn can turn you off of your build.

Hope this helps a bit.
Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back