Eliminate Tutorial Searches? An IMHO Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bobby Boucher

Tutorials and How-To's are one of the reasons I am making my ODST. Seeing other people demonstrate their techniques and expertise is helpful for everybody. The only thing that bugs me is that all the how-to's are spread out over the whole forum. Some of them are stickies and some are just out there, only reachable by searching. The sticky tutorials are in their respective forums, but they are hard to find sometimes. So my question is this:

Would it be beneficial to have a forum set apart completely for tutorials?

I'm just thinking here, so this is my personal opinion and yours will probably differ. I got thinking about this because I am frequently on a forum called 355 Nation, whenever I am having trouble with my Colorado. They have a huge sub-forum only for member tutorials, with separate categories for each aspect of the truck. It is extremely helpful, and gives me new ideas.

I think a forum under "Armor, Uniform, and Prop Making" labeled specifically for How-To's would be helpful. To make it nice and clean, members should not post directly in there. Rather post their how-to thread in a submission area for review, before it is put in the forum by a staff member. A how-to forum will also have the necessary separate categories and sub-categories, to keep tutorials on similar topics together. Categories could each be the different types of building techniques, and different aspects of each. Maybe even different how-to's for a specific armor.

So what does everybody think? Obviously I haven't done a proper benefit/risk analysis, but I'm curious if anyone else has thought about this.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Great idea, also i would say to clean up the tutorials. Some are very old and the link/photos are not working. Keep the best Tuts.

We are in the process of creating a 405th Wiki to house up-to-date tutorials. It was started a while back by Katsu. Hurrican began a wiki for the German Spartans, and I had joined the team a few weeks ago to resurrect the project. Progress is slow as of right now seeing as it's only a couple of people working on it with limited time, but it's coming together.

http://405th.wikia.com/wiki/405th_Wiki

Like I said, it's not much right now, but we hope to make it the central hub for tutorials from the 405th.

Depending on what you need, I can lend a hand, Spartan. Shout me a PM with details and such and I'll see what I can come up with during my free time.

Many hands make light work, and all that.

Yeah. Tutorials with broken links are not very helpful. Good luck on your progress demogorgon!

Luckily I don't need anything right now, but thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back