Extreme Battle Damaged Mark 6 Complete - Picture Heavy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpent ZX

It's been awhile, and lots of things have happened (Another baby on the way, and being laid off). Projects which were to be finished got delayed... VERY delayed. I finally finished... After much remolding, reproportioning, resculpting, revamping, and material researching, this Chief is complete... I would like to thank you Adam for giving me one of the biggest headaches in the world (But awesomest project), and Walter for helping me out with the helmet, which gave me very good practice (And very successful). I don't think I would have ever had enough motivation to finish this project if I had never seen real pieces, and parts in front of me other then just pictures. I really thank you guys for the opportunity you gave me.

List of materials eventually used after much research, and trial, and error...

1.) All Stainless Steel Hardware - Screws, nuts, washers, bolts, etc.

2.) Stainless Steel plating

3.) Titanium Plating (When I could get my hands on it)

4.) Kevlar, and Stretchable Kevlar

5.) About 10 pounds of Black Leather (Undersuit)

6.) Pure Silver Solder, and Wiring (Hard as hell to get)

7.) About 20 Pounds milled Stainless, and Titanium.

8.) Pure Black Silicone (for custom Boots - Dust cover between the Toe and Ankle)

9.) Black Elastometric Latex, and Polyurethane adhesive for Boot Soles (Awesome traction, sticks to ice like glue, and replaceable, and easily repairable if need be)

10.) Custom LED Lighting

11.) Thick 12,000 lb. Test Grade 2" Polyester Strapping (Everything got 2" wide strapping)

12.) The obvious Gold Irridium Visors

13.) Of course Smoothcast 300 with added fire resistant additives (Details, and to pour on top of all hardware, and plating - you would never know anything was in it unless you wore it yourself, or I told you, heh.)

14.) 10 layer paint job (Adhesion Promoter, Black Primer, Grey Primer, Black Primer, Black Primer tack coat, Liquid Cold Weld Steel Coating - makes things feel like metal... because it is metal and also flame proof, Clear Coat, Metallic Paint, Black Paint, Green Paint.

15.) *This is where I should list padding, but alas... Not a single piece of foam, or padding on the whole suit. Just not enough room... But the bruises are worth it.

All in all, the suit weighs in at about 123 pounds, give or take a pound.

Worth it... Yes. Although bruises, cuts, and scrapes to prove the joy... Lets just say, it has to be the most uncomfortable thing in the world to wear, yet I lasted the 2 hour test run running around the mall. LOL

And one fun pic quick edited with photoshop to make one of the stills look like a plasma grenade...

There was an unbelieveable amount of detail put into it, but the pics just don't show it. I'll have to get some close ups some time.

This is amazing. Long term I've been shooting for this sort of deal. Weight to me is no issue. But to actually see it, now that's more than a bit of inspiration there. Beautiful work. Your suit looks like it's been through a war, not just hot off the press. You look like a real vet mate. Incredible job.

One question, what's yer estimated budget there, do I need to set up a bank account to attempt something similar this?

this does deserve elite status. whats the kevlar for (is it bullet proof.) also just curious how much did it cost to make.

Why do I like this suit...and I mean beyond the excellent craftsmanship...its because you look like you can kick some ass. You have the frame and carry yourself well and you look like you wear the armor and the armor doesn't wear you!

and now to give it to ghosty for free :) ook ook, ill pay the shipping

Nice lookin' suit there skippy! And interesting materials you've used. I am curious though, How long did the entire production take to make?

To answer a few questions before I hit the sack... This project took about 2 years just about, and ended up costing me over $3,000... And half the stuff I got was free... Everytime I got flexed over into a new trade at work, it was like a whole set of new types of materials got added to my project list. Realistically, it would have costed me around $5,500, and probably arose some questions with the FEDs or some crapola cause of the materials being shipped to a residential place. LOL And the Kevlar that I used was 2 different kinds... 1 type is what is used to fabricate bullet proof structures, and the other is a type of stretchable lycra-spandex kind of material, but has the cut resistant properties, abrasion resistance, and is used in lots of types of stunt gear for mobility, and protection. Maybe tomorrow night I will try to switch the pics out for the much higher resolution ones, and take a few armor only shots to show some detail. Still have to shoot some daylight photos down at the frozen wasteland of a beach after seeing the helmet pics, and how crisp and clean they came out. The lighting, background, and colors all go very good together.

Now, it's off to bed...

Yes... yes... Very nice. I am very glad it turned out so well. Glad I could supply a helmet. Suit looks great, very beefy.

Holy bejeezus! 123 lbs?! That's a lot!

But at the same time, that looks freaking amazing to be made of steel and titanium. Were the pieces forged? Or did you use some crazy cool method to make the pieces? Did you even look at pep files? lol. From the looks of it, this thing was completely hand crafted, and extremely well done at that.

And now, all those people wanting to go paintballing or airsofting in their costume armor, can see just what it takes lol. How much kevlar did you use? Is it part of the armor itself? Or is it integrated into the under-armor more? The steel plating seems very thick in places, is that just for looks, or does that serve a specific purpose?

I'm not gonna lie, knowing that you are surrounded with so much steel and kevlar, do you feel like a walking tank when you wear that? lol

Sorry for so many questions, this suit is just amazing and I want to know more about it lol. You've done a really great job on it, and hopefully this will trigger more of us to start making more realistic armor. Yours looks like it could actually be used in combat (if it didn't slow you down so much) Too bad we don't have crazy-cool body-suit exoskeletons that you could fit underneath the armor to increase your strength and speed lol. Then you'd be the 21st centuries version of the real Spartan II's.

God god after reading the materials 1-4 I thought there for a second "this guy is making a tank" then after reading further down the list and looking at the pictures I would say this thread isn't the only thing heavy with a suit weighing over 100pds. I wore a full set of knight armor when I was with the SCA but I don't think my suit was this heavy. But still I'll be watching this thread just for reference and curiosity I'm still grimacing with the price tag on this it's more than a used car.

Sorry for the delay on a little better explanation. In the middle of giving 'lessons' at my house for things, and also lots of overtime work. Trying to sqeeze lots of stuff into my schedule with myself going through a third layoff, and also got in a car accident.

EDIT: Also the suit was originally based off of Adams suit, and a helmet cast from Spase... That's where the journey began.

Good job on the suit it looks amazing. I am interested to know more about the details of the construction of the suit i.e. where which materials were used. Absolutely stellar job

well built. dude this looks really cool. i especially like the beach scene for some reason.

congrats

Screw a gym membership. wearing 125 lbs around the house should work just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back