Fabrics/Santoprene/Polypropylene/EPP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

First, I just wanted to say thanks for a great site, and great stickies :p

(Which, btw, I have either read completely or skimmed and get the gist of it, which I will of course go back and read when I actually start to build, which won't be until December, because I'm out of school then :p )

Recently a friend of mine got a rubber training knife by Cold Steel that was made from polypropylene.

I've done some research and it looks like Polypropylene/Santoprene must be injection molded at extremely high temperatures (320+ degrees).

I was wondering if anyone would happen to know if there are other ways of working with polypropylene/santoprene?

Also I was wondering if there were any fabrics tough enough, but still flexible like "normal" fabrics, to be used in armor making?

Maybe Kevlar?

I haven't researched Kevlar a whole lot, but I'm guessing that would be pretty expensive, and most likely out of my reach as well :p

Vacuum forming looks very interesting...

Thanks,

LC

PS: Does this forum have an IRC channel?

And are WIP threads ok?

Couldn't find a stickie on that :/

I have alittle experience working with polypropylene and it was just one huge pain in my tush.....the results are amazing but it requires ALOT of work and can get pretty expensive

as for Kevlar, it is pretty expensive to get from what I have seen but its workability is about the same as canvas

I dont know much about Vacuum Forming but you should ask Sean for any starter tips on it I think he works with it with his armor

zeronifty said:
I have alittle experience working with polypropylene and it was just one huge pain in my tush.....the results are amazing but it requires ALOT of work and can get pretty expensive

as for Kevlar, it is pretty expensive to get from what I have seen but its workability is about the same as canvas

I dont know much about Vacuum Forming but you should ask Sean for any starter tips on it I think he works with it with his armor

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back