Failure is just part of learning, but I hope for success!

Status
Not open for further replies.
great job so far. Gordon Freeman's HEV suit is pretty easy and is a good project to due in short time. Are you doing a mark IV or mark V? V is in hl2 and IV is from half life.
I hope you're right about it being easy! Haha...I plan to try to finish printing/glueing this week, and do resin/fiberglass this weekend.

And the pep from Null was the Mark V (HL2).

Well, the build schedule was definitely pushed back more than I would have liked, but here's the status update (pictures will come later):

Left/right upper/lower arms/legs are fully glued, as is the belt. The chestpiece is only missing the final edge pieces, which will be glued on this evening.

The upper leg/arm pieces & belt are able to slide on as-is for fitting verification, but the lower leg/arm pieces are too narrow to slide on (as indicated by null.exe in his original thread), but I expect them to fit. I also very carefully tried on the chestpiece Sunday night and it fit perfectly.

Today I should be starting the resin/fiberglass process. Being one to procrastinate, I am now scrambling to find tutorials on how to best do this step... Needless to say, this is getting down to the wire, and I don't truly expect to make the Halloween deadline. If I manage to finish the resin/fiberglass/bondo/painting process by Friday, I may be able to purchase and assemble the undersuit Saturday and still make it, but we'll see what happens.

http://www.405th.com/showthread.php...Tutorial-How-To?highlight=fiberglass+tutorial

This can prolly help you. . .

What I do to glass is this same method but after applying the resin I use the container to again put resin into and then dip the fiberglass into it and flip it over and dip the other side, after that you let the excess drip off and apply to your piece.

I cut my fiberglass into small squares to make it easier to work with

Also, looks great so far and good luck!

Thanks a bunch for that link, Omega Ravager! I unfortunately got inundated with work...at work (how inconsiderate of my employer, right?)... so I didn't really get to my research. That link looks like a good starting point.

No problem man always willing to help another 405ther!

As far as your work woes I totally understand, come work at my job. . .

Good luck to ya and let me know if I can help with anything else!

Well last night was a bust, managed to fend off a headache that seemed to be a cross between a sinus headache and a migraine, but was too wiped out to work on the costume. Tonight, though, I expect to start the resin process and I will get pictures up to show progress!

OK, finished assembling the chest piece, then took all the pieces outside for resin'ing. After about 4.5ish hours, my two friends and I managed to complete the first coat of resin on all pieces!

cimg0505y.jpg

cimg0519a.jpg

cimg0515v.jpg

OK...I don't think we used enough hardener, because the pieces don't look quite dry this morning, and the one piece I touched was still tacky. Any advice on how to fix this? Do I just add the second layer over it?

<--big Half-life fan. cant wait to see it finished.
Were did u get your files from?

Whoops, thought I posted a link, guess I forgot >.<

I managed to find a download link of all the parts compressed into a .zip file, but you can grab them individually using the links in this post.

Thanks man.
I think I might try this one after I finish my Spartan armor.
Most of it looks very easy besides for the Chest.

Thanks man.
I think I might try this one after I finish my Spartan armor.
Most of it looks very easy besides for the Chest.

The chest was...an adventure. The way I assembled it was...
1. Lay out ALL the pieces
2. Start with the larger pieces and assemble; for each piece found, take its mirror-opposite and set it aside (the chest is symmetrical...thank god), this reduced the massive number of pieces to sift through
3. Assemble one side, assemble the second side, connect in the middle starting from the back

The bottom pieces got a little annoying, and there were a whole bunch of pieces where the main part of the piece was literally 1/8 the thickness of the attached tab, which made folding ridiculously difficult. Other than that, it just takes a while and a lot of patience.

OK...I don't think we used enough hardener, because the pieces don't look quite dry this morning, and the one piece I touched was still tacky. Any advice on how to fix this? Do I just add the second layer over it?

Are you sure it wasn't just too cold outside?

That's also a possibility, it was definitely a little chilly last night (maybe around 40 degrees)...

Erm... may I suggest that you read the text on the back of the can? ;-)

Most likely it will say something about a minimum temperature of 20 °C. (That's 68 °F - for those of you who still use this deprecated unit. I refuse to do so ;-))
You should try to warm it up somehow, that should speed up the reaction.

Well here's the status update...I definitely did not make my Halloween "soft" deadline, which was a little disappointing, but such is life. All pieces have 2 layers of resin on the outside now, and I used a dremel with a barrel sander attachment to sand down any drips that I found. Unfortunately, I managed to break a non-essential part of one of the leg pieces (the top edge area) while trying to extract it off of the cardboard, but I think I can fix it.

I attemped to start fiberglassing but didn't get too far. I started on the belt, spent about 2 hours working on it and didn't even manage to finish that. I think I was just tired that day, though... Anyway, the project isn't dead, I will finish this, just at a more human pace now that the goal date has passed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back