Farris Mkvi Finished!

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the opinion of an absolute noob at armour making, it looks a bit too small. You would want the opinion of an expert though.

It looks good though!

Good luck with your armour. I just finished my helmet, and it is NOT easy.

Farris said:
OK... last pictures of the day. Does this look like it's the right size or is it too small?

I think it looks great. The first run did look a bit large. I keep saying Im gonna try to pep a chest peice before to long, but casting is just so much more controllable to me. However I will still prolly try out pep in the future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spot on Bud. first one was to big, but the second looks amazing.
i dont know what your planing for an undersuit but if you get some thing with detail on
the stomach it will look great.
(could try a THOR QUADRANT MOTOCROSS DEFLECTOR look on ebay/google)
Best of luck with the rest

Alright, I will continue the build on this torso then. Thanks for the help folks. I was starting to get a little worried that it may be a bit too small, especially since I cut the build height by a whole 8cm from the first one to make the width the right size... But I guess it worked out for the best.

LOL the armor looks great I thought too that the chest piece looks small in the photo(it depends if u fell comfy in it).

Kepp ur thread updated so we can correct u if u make some mistakes.

Ultrakiller

Thanks guys. I actually owe the good size to pep3 since it allowed me to scale by width. I got fed up of trying to measure heights and just went ahead and measured straight across my chest, added an inch, converted to metric, and plugged it in. So much for those equations I guess.

This just confirms my theory that I have to build each piece twice because the first one will be slightly too large and then the next one will be just right.

I'm hoping to have time to cut, score, and attach the main pieces of the back tonight. At least just enough so I can do a final size check before I have to glue the hole in the top closed since I will have to trim it after I resin to fit my head through. Or I could just find a medicine man that can shrink my head for me...

UPDATE: This thing fits like a glove right now. Haven't finished the back, but it's a pretty nice fit.

Alright... after working on the torso for a while, I've gotten time to go back to the helm. Today I was able to fiberglass the bucket, rondo the top of the brim, and play around with some bondo. I just know that I'll have a lot of sanding/bondoing to do. I've learned quite a few things along the way, like how to pour way too much mud and have it pool up at a low point. And how to get fiberglass matte stuck to everything but the place you want it. Anyway, here are the pics.

Please offer any critique as usual. I think I like working with the rondo better. Once I sand down this layer of the bondo, I may just mud the rest of it. Much smoother and easier to apply. I just wanted to try both methods before I wrote either off.

So yeah... I messed up. I got a little overzealous with a dremel sanding bit. I cut into the fiberglass, but not through the fiberglass, on a detail spot. I'll post a pic of the spot that I have yet to mess up and then post a pic of the one on the other side that I did mess up. I'm hoping that this can be fixed. The pics of my fail are followed by pics of my first sanding attempt. Please disregard the rogue rondo streams that escaped from the tape. I'll sand those off tonight when I get home.

First good

1015081024.jpg

Now bad

1015081023.jpg

And now the first sanding attempt.

Yah i would cut that out, put in a new piece, resin, fb, and rebondo.
One tip just at looking at you pics. go easy on the bondo. Small, smooth. "paint-on" like application are better. think more spot apps then big batch/rush applications. the helmet doesn't need a lot of bondo since it is a HD model. think resin over 1st and sand that. I thin layer of primer will help you see the smoothness. So fix the side, sand down what you have on, fix the overall shape you have, and prime. that will give you and best look.
good luck!

Alright... After being absent for months, I'm back into it. Here's where I am so far.

Torso and helm (a new helm. This time .5cm taller since my nose would have been resting on the lens on the last one) to be fiberglassed this weekend. Hopefully piece the rest together this weekend. I will need help scaling as I'm not sure how to measure for the arms, legs, and "groin" pieces. Does anyone have any suggestions? I've tried a search but wasn't able to find much.

Hoping to have this ready in time for DragonCon. Going to crash to get it done in time.

That is perfect! Thank you very much! Sometimes I just need things broken down for me. I can be a little slow. lol

I'm almost done with my torso piece. It just seems like it will fit a little snug. Should I squeeze into it or add cuts and straps? If I should cut and strap it, where should I do that at?

Here's a low def shin that I used for sizing... Does it look right? The top is at the very top of my knee cap and there's about 3 inches between that and my ankle bone. It's a little tight getting my foot through it and I had to trim the openings at the top and the bottom.

IMG00001-20090812-0729.jpg

It looks a little to tight and short too me. Use a ruler to measure about an inch and a half above your ankle to the top of your kneecap. convert to mm and it should scale just fine.

Alright. I'll try that. Basically add another inch or so in length. I'll try that tonight to see how it fits. If only I had enough space to extend the thigh pieces... Those fit really tight but I am at the limit on length before it hits my space diaper.

EDIT: Just checked the scale based on the height from the Robo shin files. Says that I'm about 8cm off. Not sure if I should go with that or not. Boot sizing seems pretty good though.

Built a shin size tester last night and it's much easier to get my leg into. The last one was 38cm but this time I went with the recommended 46cm. Hopefully this size will mesh with the boots once they're together. I have no time to rethink sizing on anything else if I'm gonna have this ready for Dragoncon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back