Felling lost and need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I do have a question, how do you guys estimate the amount of EVA foams to use. Currently the largest ones I can find is a pack of 4 puzzle mat foams that forms a large 60x60 cm area, hence, its 30x30cm per piece. I try to optimize the amount of foam used so it won't hurt my budget,

My best guess is based on the page count in Pepakura or Armorsmith depending on paper size. Usually it's an A4/Letter size fitting roughly six pages to a 2'x2' (60cm x 60cm) floormat but when transferred to foam you can get a bit tighter packing depending on the shapes and armour pieces you're working on. Most parts (gauntlet/bicep/boot/thigh) take at least one sheet and larger ones obviously take a bit more.

My Reach Spartan took about four packs of four 60cm x 60cm sheets to put things into perspective. I built chunky to look like an action figure but am 5'9" (175cm) so scaling might make it so you use more or less foam overall. The 60cm sheets are awesome for larger pieces such as the thighs and the top of the chest which have continuous panels and you don't have to gap fill for when using smaller 30cm sheets that are spliced together.

Last edited:
@Crusader1080 If you use pepakura you can sorta estimate from the number of sheets from the unfold. depending on how good you are at cutting and scaling you might want an extra few floor mats though.

That's what I did.
From my estimates, I have 66 sheets of A4 paper to be printed out and one 30x30 foam will fit approx. 1.44 sheets of A4, so I can fit 5.76 sheets of A4 on a pack 4. In total, I would need 11.4 foam pieces which equivalent to 2.8 packs ~ 3 packs. But I have to taking the thigh, arms, bicep, forearm, shins and boots into consideration as well which need twice the amount of foam, but I am stumped at that calculation.

My Reach Spartan took about four packs of four 60cm x 60cm sheets to put things into perspective

Meaning to say that the individual sheets are 60x60 large or the pack of 4 combined to form a 60x60 area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back