Fellow spartans I need some assstance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan113

The Mjolnir armor.
A beautiful thing.

I'm in the process of building some of my own, but I have several several ideas on what to use, I am a female... so I do have things that will interfere with some of the armor. But that's not a problem in the least.

I'm not sure what to build this out of, I could use sheet metal, and I could spend alot of money just buying it, But the most recent idea that I have come up with is using Bondo. I want to be able to wear this suit, and possibly go out and play paintball in it with out it getting ruined.

So can some of you Spartans give me a bit of advice on what it should be made of? And maybe a few links as to where some tutorials are? It would be much appreciated! :)

Thanks much, and other e-mails are as follows:

crow@gaggle.net
vampiress_cRow@yahoo.com

-Spartan 113

Well as you will find throughout the past forum posts you can use fiberglass, vacuform mold, cardboard, matteboard, ducktape, or just buy one off the internet.

THe last one is probably the easiest.

Well the thing about making female Mjolnir armor is that its not too much different from any other standard male armor. Being that ofcourse the breastplate would be definetly different or maybe even thigh armor. Going with vacuuform is "okay" for its price. I owned a suit of vacuuform and it was extremely light but the flimsiness just wasnt something i liked.
beware of bondo!
lol too much could make it very heavy.

Its this thick goooey sticky stuff that hardens to a solid. They use it on cars a ton. Go to home depot or walmart of something and they are sure to have it. You use it to fill in holes in diffrent things.

I know Adam's armor was kinda shattered and he used Bondo to piece it together and he did a kickass job at it. He might be able to give ya some pointers.

silvercookie said:
can someone please tell me what bondo is.

google can.

also, just read and you shall find many of your answers already written out, in detail .... welcome to the forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
bondo is a usefull product as a filler for small dents and such on cars and other things, but it should not be applied in thick applications, that could lead to the bondo not curing completely ad cracking later on, also bondo is not necesarrily vrey flexible in fact it is strong but i would not put a ton of money on it standing up to paintball very well, your better option for that would be reinforced fiber glass, which you can use bondo to help smooth out the surface. but only use it as a small dent filler it should not ever get to bbe more than maybee a half inch thick, because of the brittleness and because then you are gonna have some freakin heavy armor. If you are gonna go for durable light weight i would de fiber glass reinforced on the back with a good 10 layers of fiberglass cloth. and then maybee some of that Great Stuff expandable foam, but becarefull that stuff is nasty too.

Oki, so bondo is going to be too heavy.... but the vacuform.. where exactly can I find that and what would be a reasonable price? :shifty ninja:

I'm telling ya, if you've never done this stuff before, you should go with the mattboard approach, and reinforce it with fiberglass on the inside.

BONDO!!!! NOOOO!!!! We car restorers call bondo sometimes "blondo", simply b/c some restorers search, search, and search for a car they want to buy and restore; they buy the car and strip the paint/primer down and then low and behold. Blondo everywhere. I have a very sour attitude with fiberglass putty, b/c my '68 had a whole section of my rear quarter panel reconstructed (poorly) with bondo. Don't get me wrong! Blondo is good for shaping and filling in those gaps, but a whole lower quarter panel on a 1968 Mustang. HELLZ NO!!! Ok, now. Does anybody want their soap back? I'm done with the box. ;-)

Heheh , Nice.

It's cool to hear your perspective on this Matt. In my trade Bondo is avoided quite a bit too, although I think only for the health hazards it poses. And if you're going to get technical about it Bondo is essentially polyester resin (fiberglass resin) with a bunch of fillers already added to made it more 'putty like'. It's the same stuff, just in different thicknesses for different applications.

I dig it, but just for certain applications. If you mix a batch of polyester resin into it it's a real nice consistency for painting into molds. (Thanks Link) ;-)

Sheet metal raw material vs, processing

Cost wise for raw material cold rolled steel is pretty cheap. Metal supply houses often have "cutoffs" that they sell, here localy (san Diego, Ca.) for between 50 and 70 cents a pound ,16 ga. or so. In term of cost versus weight figuring that the armor weighs 40 lbs max thats only like about 30 dollars . The cost comes in in the processing or manufacture of the armour, a "beverly shear" is about 500.00 new, and welding setups run into the thousands depending on type and manufacturer. Then theres the time involved in cutting out all those little parts and making sure the fit .
Basicaly you are going to build two suits to get one in steel . Ive got plans to build a suit out of steel but not till I have all the necessary patterns and measurements fron the suit I'm building now. Maybe I'll have it chromed :wowie: LOL

Harbinger

Oki,

So there are a whole lot of ideas going around, but the fberglass seems to make the most since to me, but the thing is I'm still clueless as to how to mold it and form it the way that it should be.

I'm sorry, I am a bit new to this.. >.>;;; So pages with tutorials would be good, and maybe a bit of insight? :);;

thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back