Fiberglass gelatinizing inside of can

Status
Not open for further replies.

=AT=Seraph

Today I went outside to work on my Ywing helmet. I was able to use/mix/poor 1 layer inside of my helmet, trying to get it sturdy it for rondo.
However, when I went to poor more resin, I noticed that there were large jello clumps within it.
I was unfortunately stupid enough to forget taking a few photos, but it was like those italian salad dressings, when the thin oil rises to the top with the thick dressing underneath.
Does anyone know what causes this or why? The can I used had only been on my shelf a few months. I never leave the lid open either, I try to seal it as best I can.

Any help on this would be appreciated so I can perhaps not meet it in the future.

There probably is a hole in the seal. Or it could be because there could be some hardener that was accidentally dropped into the resin.
It could be a number of things. What I would do is remove the little chunks that are in the resin and then be sure the seal the can as best you can by smacking the edge of the lid with the butt of a screwdriver. Even if you put dents in the lid, at least you'll know that it's sealed.

thanks for the info guys. I'll use the screw driver thing on the lid next time, so thanks for that saber. Hopefully this wont happen again :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back