fiberglass Matt, and Cloth

Status
Not open for further replies.

redragon74

stronger/ weaker?
easier to use?
pros cons?
etc

i went to wallyworld today to get some more bondo and saw there was both but wasnt last time...i got cloth like last time but if Matting is easier to work with and is stronger ill switch to that

They are essentially very similar, generally people say that chopped strand is easier to wet out so is quite usefull when doing multiple laminate layers however woven mat offers more strength, when you're using woven mat its more complicated because you need to first work out a pattern to cut and lay the sheets in and add strips along any right angles, then cut smaller bits to reinforce them, whereas chopped mat you just stuff it in and use your roller to combine it all. It wouldnt really make too much of a difference for a costume peice I dont think, its just down to what you're happy with. In all seriousness, this forum is not really the best place to look for fibreglassing information, most of your searches here will result in posts from people spouting the safety information off the can and telling you what not to do and people who've used it in the snow and cant make it cure This place is much better for learning how to use it

true, true. However fiberglass cloth in my experience has a bad tendancy to arch and buble causing it to miss spots. it can be a little hard to work with. its good for strength. in my SPI shoulders it re-enforced it so it would take a paintball. hope that helps a little. and i digrese.

Spartan-104 said:
true, true. However fiberglass cloth in my experience has a bad tendancy to arch and buble causing it to miss spots. it can be a little hard to work with. its good for strength. in my SPI shoulders it re-enforced it so it would take a paintball. hope that helps a little. and i digrese.
yea see thats what ive noticed both times like on my needler it happend a few times and on my AR its starting to happen like on the clip itl bubble or arc up and i gotta cut it off with some wire cutters or some snips

hmm sweet thanks for the info guys

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't quote cause I'm on a cell but nz the reason is, is because me and my bro are gettn a lil jon boat and were putting in a livewell cause it doesn't have one and just stuff for poles and takle the motorcycles because I'm a motorcycle tech but would like to get into some custome work to :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back