Fiberglass Tape & Polyurethane Resin

Status
Not open for further replies.

XTTX

Questions...
1. I'm just starting the pepakura part of my helmet. I'm wondering what order I should do this in... Cutting; scoring; folding; gluing?
2. I bought fiberglass tape instead of cloth; I'm wondering whether or not it's the same thing.
3. Isn't fiberglass irritative? If so, how would this work if you apply it on the inside
4. Let me make sure this is right, resin on the outside (what type of hardener do you recommend), and then fiberglass on the inside. Should I coat the fiberglass w/ resin?
5. As far as toxicity and carcinogens go, they virtually disappear after curing right?
6. Relating to question 5, is a mask + gloves sufficient enough to prevent toxic poisoning?

Sorry for all the questions...
Thanks in advance!
Kevin
:)

XTTX said:
Questions...
1. I'm just starting the pepakura part of my helmet. I'm wondering what order I should do this in... Cutting; scoring; folding; gluing?
cutting, scoring, gluing
2. I bought fiberglass tape instead of cloth; I'm wondering whether or not it's the same thing.
not sure
3. Isn't fiberglass irritative? If so, how would this work if you apply it on the inside
It's only an irritant when it's wet.
4. Let me make sure this is right, resin on the outside (what type of hardener do you recommend), and then fiberglass on the inside. Should I coat the fiberglass w/ resin?
resin outside, resin inside, fiberglass inside. Hardener comes with resin, there is only one kind.
5. As far as toxicity and carcinogens go, they virtually disappear after curing right?
Yes
6. Relating to question 5, is a mask + gloves sufficient enough to prevent toxic poisoning?
More than a dust mask. Get a respirator.

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
XTTX said:
Questions...

Thanks in advance!
Kevin

Heres my 2 cents:

1.Seems good to me
2.Ive heard of it being used, but idk if its any good or not
3.Primer it and add padding to helmet
4.yes, resin 2-3 coats
5.No clue, just do it outdoors, or in a garage with the door open
6.It should be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fiberglass cloth tape is made of twisted strands of fiberglass that are woven at right angles to one another. Cloth has the highest glass-to-resin ratio and strength of all fiberglass materials. Fiberglass tape is usually a narrow, cloth strip with woven edges that prevent unraveling. Use the tape for reinforcing seams and corners or for holding it in place until you resin it.

:devil:
-Vex

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back