First Armor Helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've dropped this thing a few times. :/

Halo-evenmorepix001.jpg

You can actually get some really good detailing with paper mache, depending on what you're using underneath it. I rushed mine, and used duct tape, which was probably not a good idea...

ok je comprend lastspartan.

but maybe i shoul ask to my parent to make the resin and help for the bondo.

if you said that this is the best...

Right now I'm currently building a ODST helmet, using paper mache as a substitute base over fiberglass/resin. I'm using liquid starch(the stuff in the jug, not the can) as the 'glue', so to speak. Coat a strip of paper(1-2 inches wide, 5 inches long), remove any excess liquid, then place it so the paper is going from one ear side to the other(best place to start first is along the top of the helmet); Wait for it to dry(but not completely), then repeat the process again.

Do this across the whole helmet until it has at least 5 layers of paper, you are satisfied or until no light is visible from the inside. More than 5 layers is good, but try not to overdo it.

Only small problem I still have while doing this is the cardstock will start to sag a bit once you begin applying paper strips in the beginning; have something inside your helmet to hold it while you do this to prevent it from sagging.

(No pics yet, but will have some up soon)

I will say that if you are simply planning on doing paper mache and nothing else, it will not look as good as you might think. As far as the situation goes with putting bondo onto it, I do plan on using bondo but have not gotten to that point and will tackle that issue when it arises.

dude im 14 and am have used fiberglass and resin on a shoulder pad i made. its less expensive than a lot of substitutes and if you use proper safety gear for resin you'll be fine. good luck any way you make your helmet though

I've heard that aqua resin is less toxic than fibreglass resin and can be used with fibreglass fabric etc. It is also supposed to be less affected by tempereatures. You may want to look into that. If you have a good respirator and a well ventilated space, the resin etc really isn't a problem. If they are worried about mess and clean up, brake fluid makes fibreglass cleanup easy. Fibreglass and bondo arent't bad if you use the right safety equipment: respirator, goggles, gloves, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back