First Build! Any Help Appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GraffitiBoi

Soooo, I'm wanting to build the Halo Infinite "Mjolnir Mark VII" armor from the armory (this). I'm starting with the helmet but I'm feeling kinda overwhelmed. There's just a lot of really small pieces and I'm concerned about how well it'll work. I was planning on using some 1/2" EVA foam mats. Should I be building it a different way?

Welcome to the 405th! It's totally understandable that a spartan build can be overwhelming. Some advice would be to start with something simpler, like a boot, or a knee cap. That way you can practice your foamsmithing on these easier parts, and if you feel the need to remake them later on, it won't be so hard to do so.

1/2" foam mats might work for larger sections such as the chestplate, but for areas with higher curvature and small details, you may want to get smaller thicknesses. I'd recommend 0.27" (sorry, I use metric and we use decimals so this has been rounded up) /6mm foam when you need something thick but flexible, and 0.12"/3mm foam for details.

Is this your first time foamsmithing, or first time on a project of this scale?

Some advice would be to start with something simpler, like a boot, or a knee cap. That way you can practice your foamsmithing on these easier parts, and if you feel the need to remake them later on, it won't be so hard to do so.
I took your advice and made a knee. It definitely turned out a bit bigger than I would've liked, but not terrible. I haven't glued anything together either though, so maybe it just looks big. my hands are also pretty messy from working with the foam

IMG_20220104_183825470.jpg
IMG_20220104_183836635.jpg

I took your advice and made a knee. It definitely turned out a bit bigger than I would've liked, but not terrible. I haven't glued anything together either though, so maybe it just looks big. my hands are also pretty messy from working with the foam

View attachment 312724View attachment 312725
Definitely put it together to check the scale. Things always look wonky before they are fully assembled. Are you using any programs for scaling the armor? A lot of people here (myself included) recommend armorsmith. And some use pepakura designer. Both cost 30$ (last I checked) and armorsmith looks way cooler. It is always good to practice pieces esp with foamsmithing and esp if your not sure about the scale before tackling a big piece like the helmet. Helmets are hard. I don't work in foam but your work looks pretty good to me. Just keep on rollin'!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back