First Build. CARDBOARD :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it would work but you'll still need bondo or equivalent to remove the corrugated pattern that cardboard has.
I think all cardboard is pretty much the same so it wounded matter but the thiner stuff works better not the massive 2cm they use for heavy duty packages.

There is a member of the 405th that built his entire suit out of cardboard. I forget his name. He was serving in the armed forces abroad and in his spare time......he built a full Mark 4 suit. Do a search in the forum for "cardboard". You should find it and read the whole thread. And yes, you can use wood glue. It isn't as strong as resin or fiberglass but if your not planning on using it roughly, going the wood glue and paper mache route is possible.

I'm building an iron man helmet at the moment out of cardboard and wood glue. I am using foam files and found it much easier than normal pep ones.
I'm just using normal double corrugated box card (about 4-5mm thick) and have found it really easy to work with.

I made my Stormtrooper armour out of cardboard, resin and bondo. I used regular white glue for the cardboard. Resin on the inside to harden and bondo on the outside to smooth it out (although I could never get my bondo super smooth).

The cardboard part went quite quickly. The resin and bondo, not so much.

"I'm just a witness"

I used cardboard I got from packing boxes. I was driving by a gas station one day that had just gotten new refrigerators. They let me fill my truck with it. Free is always good.

"I'm just a witness"

Good luck with the cardboard, it can turn out just as detailed as other materials if done right.

There is a member of the 405th that built his entire suit out of cardboard. I forget his name. He was serving in the armed forces abroad and in his spare time......he built a full Mark 4 suit. Do a search in the forum for "cardboard". You should find it and read the whole thread. And yes, you can use wood glue. It isn't as strong as resin or fiberglass but if your not planning on using it roughly, going the wood glue and paper mache route is possible.

That was Redshirt, and yeah he did a really great job with that suit. Definitely give it a look.

@Xan Ives : Everybody remembers Redshirt. :) He's "Mr. Spartan Laser" guy. :) (amongst other things).
But most of all, he's a very friendly dude who's given me and a lot of people here a cr*pload of tips on how to do stuff. I owe a lot of ideas to him.

@Dirtdives : lol. Yes. Or it's a South Park reference. Take you pick. Both are equally silly.

@NemusHD : this will be interesting. Looking forward to your journey.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reason for not using and bondo or fiberglass is because

Toxic

Im afraid

- - - Updated - - -

I will try and do that technique

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks dood

some people use "smooth on" products to avoid resin and bondo since not toxic. They have several types. Worth while checking it out. They have several sculpting epoxies also for deal work. Bondo and resin cheaper but toxic and temperature dependent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back