First Build - Halo ODST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Repaired printer. New bowden tube, couplings, and nozzle have been installed. I am working on D&D projects to allow me to identify the root cause of the print failure incase I messed something else up. Ill probably squeeze a few things in here and there.

Goal for this weekend is to get the helmet reassembled and sanded to a nice and smooth before applying the first layer of primer. Stretch would be get the 2 chest pieces together and start applying bondo to it.

Updates: Pics to come later. Finished the DnD ship minus a few pieces and painting. After 4 failures for the forearm, I have decided to skip it for now until I can root out what the issue is. I suspect I am going to have to print out a cable chain which is causing the print to be knocked around 16 hours into the print. My bucket has been falling apart for the visor section. I am looking to using 2 part epoxy/plastic welding to improve the strength of it.

I am committing myself for a landfall build for the 3d prints since Travis sent me the files for it. I plan to start an ODST foam when this project is near done when I have more funds available.

Current tasks:
1) Reprint the shoulders
2) test assemble defective pieces for best method of attaching PLA together
3) Reassemble helmet and sand whenever I have free time.

I am planning on going into a grindfest this coming weekends to get this project done. I hope by the month end, i have 75% of the printing done andhave the chest pieces assembled for attachments to the soft goods.

Life Updates: I got a puppy. She has not been conductive to printing or projects...

Project Updates:
Shoulders were printed successfully along with some of the clips over the weekend. Printer was down Saturday during my attempt to print the lower back pieces.... I was disappointed...I became too ambitious in getting everything done in 1 print after I sliced it... but I realized it wouldnt work anyways. I bought armor smith and have begun sizing everything accordingly. This wasnt fun measuring myself...

v.01.jpeg

I look ridiculous in my armorsmith model. I did add some tolerance to prevent skintight armor pieces...
20191207_230825.jpg

Current pieces I have printed (-Chest piece and helmet) Notice the SMG has fallen apart since being assembled.... :(

Equipment updates:
  • Clamps (Spring/F)
  • 2 part Epoxy
  • EVA Foam

Why EVA Foam; because I am going to be making this ODST out of foam starting with the boots first. I will try and go for the Halo 3 ODST. I never did a foam build before. After a few months of thinking, and multiple print failures,
JPEG_20191023_172323.jpg
JPEG_20191202_174247.jpg
foam just makes a little more sense for me in terms of storage (flexible) and movement. I have a long break from work coming up (YAY Planned shutdown!) to work on this. My plan isto attack it from the ground up starting with the boots to learn more about cutting techniques, etc before I move to the more visual sections. I plan to try and have it done for c2e2. If not, for halloween.

I will probably still 3d print sections as I need them to save time on the build since they will be quickly produced. I will probably print the HALO ODT Landfall whenever I have printer time available or if I somehow acquire a larger 3d printer to help me avoid the struggles of attaching PLA to itself.. (Praying the epoxy works!). Otherwise, this will be a low priority project.

The ship is done BTW and is fully modular. I just need to paint it but will be letting my players do it because I am done with it for the time being...

JPEG_20191022_211115.jpg

Mostly finished ship minus a few pieces....

JPEG_20191022_211323.jpg

Upper and lower deck layers (with scrap bits laying around)
JPEG_20191022_211202.jpg

Example of modular format by adding a forecastle
JPEG_20191102_185027.jpg

Boats plus minis to show scale.

To conclude a long post:

Got puppy, life is good. Boat is done, its a big boat.

This week's goals:
  • Complete scaling for foam sections in armor smith
  • Identify sections for 3d printing
  • Confirm scale for existing printed sections.
  • Start the construction of boots
  • Continue lifting/running
Please let me know if you have any useful tips or advice for a first build! I will start posting more pictures as I remember to take them xD

Keep a steady hand.......sharpen your blades every so often........use a straight edge as a guide when either tracing or cutting.......and don't be discouraged with your first piece. By the 3rd or 4th, you may decide to redo that first one. Your technique will have improved by then.

Broke the printer again...thermistor this time..my fault for not being careful while I lost my grub screw...

Working to have this done for c2e2... going to be a very tight schedule but if I focus, I can make it happen. I printed templates tonight to start the tracing and cutting Wednesday due to scheduling conflict. I need to get baggies for holding templates tomorrow.

More updates will come later this week

Fixed and broke the printer again.... Going to put this build on hold until I have more time.

Moving onto a reach BDU build to speed build something for c2e2

Reigniting this project.

Printer is running now so I'm going to slowly chip away at this.

I am going to print the forearms and shoulders over the next 2 weeks at .1 layer height to save some work on post processing. I have no timeframes to finish this now.

Switching to esun pla+ due to pricing.

Goals for the next week or two. Complete gauntlets and shoulders. Assemble the helmet. Start the rounds of sanding now that its warming up.

I also just want to ask if you've tried using automotive filler primer to help fill in the print lines on your pieces? It's sold as a spray paint and helps fill in small gaps in surfaces. You'd still have to lightly sand down the excess after each coat but two or three coats would knock out the bulk of the work, then the spot putty can cover any areas that need some extra TLC. Just figured you might save yourself some time/money this way, though to be fair I don't know how much it's taking you right now with all that spot putty

I also just want to ask if you've tried using automotive filler primer to help fill in the print lines on your pieces? It's sold as a spray paint and helps fill in small gaps in surfaces. You'd still have to lightly sand down the excess after each coat but two or three coats would knock out the bulk of the work, then the spot putty can cover any areas that need some extra TLC. Just figured you might save yourself some time/money this way, though to be fair I don't know how much it's taking you right now with all that spot putty
I learnt quickly... I have 3 cans of filler primer at home ready to go! Spot putty was a mistake for the odst bucket

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back