FIRST BUILD! (Kinda) PIC HEAVY (ish)

Status
Not open for further replies.

murishani047

Hello! I've been here awhile but never really made a suit yet. Technically I still haven't. Let me give some back story! Bear with me, I like to think I have a sense of humor. :)

NOTE: This was not intended as a serious build, so please don't be hatin'.

Last year during in high school our homecoming theme was Hollywood. One of the days was "Back to the Future" where we were supposed to dress up like someone from the past or the future. So hearing about this the week before, I decided "I'M GOING TO BE AN ODST!" Then I thought "wait, I don't have any armor yet." THEN I thought "I'M GOING TO BE AN ODST!" So this build was REALLY fast, Less than a week. And the kicker, it was just the cardstock. Yup. I went around all day wearing paper armor. It worked, and people loved it. Unfortunately the helmet didn't get finished in time, so I had to go bucketless. I had a roll of black duct tape in my satchel to make quick repairs if something tore when I sat down. Turns out the only thing that tore were the shoulders, on account of I didn't scale the armor correctly. Now I say tear, but the thigh plates got SHREDDED. But that's ok, because since I was on a time crunch I just made the basic Halo 1 marine thigh plates xD. Anyway! Without further ado, here are the pictures of my "First" ODST build!

0921210403.jpg
Yay first cutting! (of this build)

0921223814.jpg
making good time!

0921225442.jpg
Center complete! This probably should have been how big the entire chest was. :p

0921232614.jpg
Yup, it may be a little big xD

0922101446.jpg
Holy Chief where did all that come from?!

0922110918.jpg
Got this idea from the shiny red envelope in the Halo 4 Limited Edition.

0922113143.jpg
Yeah, it's sideways, but the backplate's coming along nicely.

0922123245.jpg
Look at that pep work :cool

0922170131.jpg
sneak peak at the fitting ;) Luckily my dad's BDUs from Vietnam fit me perfectly :)

0922171403.jpg
Cool Helmet, Bruh.

0922190109.jpg
Whoever says spray painting cardstock directly is a terrible idea is a liar. xD

0922195752.jpg
Yay UNSC! Yay NWS! (NWS is my Spartan clan, Nationwide Spartans. I'm the head of the Spec Ops Division :))

0922214402.jpg
Helmet update.

0923200031.jpg
I think this is every ODST's most hated part.

0923224306.jpg
Yay WETA knees!

0924201008.jpg
Woo Shoulder! Starting to look like a Helljumper!

0925220652.jpg
The whole kit.

0925214610.jpg
Feet first into Hell! But first, lemme take a selfie.

You did that in less than a week as a first build? It looks great! I look forward to seeing your next project.

You did that in less than a week as a first build? It looks great! I look forward to seeing your next project.

Thanks! My next build is gonna be Halo 4 ODST from foam ;)

Looks epic! Im an ODST as well, I've taken a fancy to the Halo 4 Scout Helmet though. :)

Thanks! I used Scout in my Halo 3 days, but the NWS decided to use ODST for the Spec Ops Division. I mean, since I'm the leader of the division though I can pretty much wear what I want, but I like to think we're basically Helljumpers on steroids. :)

I'll try to post some pics of my helmet later today. I kind of guessed on the scaling to accommodate my glasses but I think it looks alright.

Are you going to harden your armor? One wrong bump and 6 hours of work is down the drain. I would highly reccommend you consider hardening it.

Are you going to harden your armor? One wrong bump and 6 hours of work is down the drain. I would highly reccommend you consider hardening it.

Do you mean the foam armor? Because if you're talking about this build, it's already pretty much destroyed from wearing for 8 hours.

Do you mean the foam armor? Because if you're talking about this build, it's already pretty much destroyed from wearing for 8 hours.
I was going to ask the same thing that Phil-907 did but this answered it. Hardening the armor with fiberglass, rondo, etc,etc will help the longevity of the armor.
To answer your question about the foam, No, foam armor doesn't need to be hardened. In fact, you semi-rely on the foam being flexible.
PS, I have converted all the Halo 4 ODST files to foam and they are in my ODST build thread in my sig.
Keep at it! :)

I was going to ask the same thing that Phil-907 did but this answered it. Hardening the armor with fiberglass, rondo, etc,etc will help the longevity of the armor.
To answer your question about the foam, No, foam armor doesn't need to be hardened. In fact, you semi-rely on the foam being flexible.
PS, I have converted all the Halo 4 ODST files to foam and they are in my ODST build thread in my sig.
Keep at it! :)

I knew about hardening the cardstock, but for the time I had there was no way I could have hardened it in time to wear, so I left it as cardstock. It tore a few parts and they'd have to be replaced, but no, I was not planning on hardening this set. It was kind of a one-time use build haha. I also know you don't *have* to harden foam, and that's why I wanted to go that route. I'm a college freshman so my armor budget's pretty low, as well as free time, so foam is way better than pepping. Also, I feel you can get a lot cleaner lines and detail/ a better overall look with foam so that's another reason I want it.

As for the ODST files, I already got them off of the Archive, but in all honesty my Spartan doesn't wear full ODST, so I'm missing a few pieces. Maybe you could help me out with those? :)

I knew about hardening the cardstock, but for the time I had there was no way I could have hardened it in time to wear, so I left it as cardstock. It tore a few parts and they'd have to be replaced, but no, I was not planning on hardening this set. It was kind of a one-time use build haha. I also know you don't *have* to harden foam, and that's why I wanted to go that route. I'm a college freshman so my armor budget's pretty low, as well as free time, so foam is way better than pepping. Also, I feel you can get a lot cleaner lines and detail/ a better overall look with foam so that's another reason I want it.

As for the ODST files, I already got them off of the Archive, but in all honesty my Spartan doesn't wear full ODST, so I'm missing a few pieces. Maybe you could help me out with those? :)
I can try and help you out but it'll take a little time. The con I'm going to is at the end of the month and I have to finish my suit and help my wife finish hers 0.0
If all goes well, I can probably help convert some files for foam use.

OK so Build Update...sort of. Here's the helmet I promised!

0929003511.jpg

0929012815.jpg

0929142320.jpg
Looking good?

0929212748.jpg
Visor!

0929212759.jpg
No Visor!

0930221210.jpg
Woo Dome!

1001180343.jpg
Woo Turtle!

1001222158.jpg
Does it look too big? I realize there's no padding inside, but yeah.

IMG_20131013_204209.jpg
COMPLETED ODST BUCKET!

1004180222.jpg
Has anyone tried using a 2 liter bottle for the visor?

IMG_20131124_174359.jpg
CNM Module!

IMG_20131124_211102.jpg
That's how this goes, right?

IMG_20131124_215547.jpg
Lol it needs padding. And yes I realize I mounted the UA in the wrong place.

IMG_20131124_215621.jpg
Even if it's too big for me, I still think it looks pretty good for my first completely finished Helmet.

That cardstock build was pretty sick! Too bad it's survival was short-lived.
Lovin' the pepakura helmet!

That actually does look pretty good. Nice pep work. It may be a little big but with padding you can make it fit. You just don't want to look like a bobble head

I can try and help you out but it'll take a little time. The con I'm going to is at the end of the month and I have to finish my suit and help my wife finish hers 0.0
If all goes well, I can probably help convert some files for foam use.

That'd be great. And please take your time! I'm nowhere near ready to begin this build yet! I think all I need is Twin-Plated forearms. I'm gonna try to make a "sliced" AR from the picture in the Limited Edition manual. I've already got most of a Reach Magnum made out of wood. Sometime I'll post that up too.

Random question to all, do you think the UA/CNM attachment from Reach would look strange on a Halo 4 Helmet? cuz I'd really like to have those. It's like the staple of S-247. I miss them in Halo 4 :cry

I honestly kind of miss helmet attachments. Do what you think you'd like and then who cares what others think :)

I honestly kind of miss helmet attachments. Do what you think you'd like and then who cares what others think :)

Yeah I'm gonna make them anyway. If I don't like it then I'll take them off, but I actually made a backstory to my Spartan and part of it includes those parts. They're important to him. I know it sounds lame but I love immersion.

Yeah I'm gonna make them anyway. If I don't like it then I'll take them off, but I actually made a backstory to my Spartan and part of it includes those parts. They're important to him. I know it sounds lame but I love immersion.
It doesn't sound lame at all. My Spartan is the leader of a select group of Spartan IIs that washed out of a piece of the augmentation process. Trust me, I know all about writing backstory [emoji1]

That cardstock build was pretty sick! Too bad it's survival was short-lived.
Lovin' the pepakura helmet!
It's mostly intact hanging in my closet at home, except the thighs are totally destroyed and one of the shoulders is pretty beat up.

That actually does look pretty good. Nice pep work. It may be a little big but with padding you can make it fit. You just don't want to look like a bobble head
Well I wanted to make sure I could fit it over my glasses without a problem, and I can. But I'm going to make a new one anyway so.

In case anyone was wondering, I mounted the armor directly to the BDUs with strips of Dollar General brand adhesive-back Velcro. Surprisingly the hold is really strong, and I had no problems with the parts falling off.

I could see how the Velcro would work for just cardstock, but when you have a fully hardened piece, Velcro alone won't hold up.

really loving how the helmet turned out. I agree with cha0s, with some padding and once you have the shoulders done, it shouldn't look so large.

Nevermind I just read your last reply :p.

really loving how the helmet turned out. I agree with cha0s, with some padding and once you have the shoulders done, it shouldn't look so large.

Nevermind I just read your last reply :p.

Thanks! Hopefully this next build will be even better!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back