First Build - ODST pep helmet. (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, pics coming soon. very close to finishing the pep model. I had a few questions about resin and bondo. Once I open the cans, am I on a timer? As in, will the bondo and resin start to harden or go bad after a while? I know they require the hardener chemical, but I just wanted to make sure so i don't rush through things if I dont have to. thanks.

Hey everyone, pics coming soon. very close to finishing the pep model. I had a few questions about resin and bondo. Once I open the cans, am I on a timer? As in, will the bondo and resin start to harden or go bad after a while? I know they require the hardener chemical, but I just wanted to make sure so i don't rush through things if I dont have to. thanks.

The only time the resin/bondo will harden is when you add the hardener to them and mix. As for leaving them open, I would HIGHLY recommend not doing that because it will release the fumes and probably make them go bad. Hope that helps!

First off, congrats on getting the materials and on to the next stage :)

To answer your question, I will make it thorough. No, there is not a "timer" per se. I have left the lid off of both my Bondo and resin accidentally for hours plenty of times, and it still functions just fine. It is just not something you want to get in the habit of doing because, as HaloMaster stated, it does indeed release fumes which speeds up the shelf life countdown. Equate it to gasoline though. Either way, after opening, Bondo and/or Resin, it should be used within 3-6 months for best quality. I usually purchase them in 1 gallon quantities, and use them easily within that time.

may have went a little too ham on the resin coating.. Felt like i worked in a panicked rush the whole time hahaha. the back might need a little more slapped on there. Pics after it dries. speaking of drying, how long do i wait before i can bring the thing in the house without it fuming up the whole place?

If you force yourself to take your time, you will be more efficient. I did the same thing the first time I resined a piece, it came out pretty bad. Resin really won't start hardening for about 10 minutes, which is more than enough time for individual pieces.

To answer your question, fiberglass resin usually cures in 2-3 hours depending on the temperature. Leave them somewhere ventilated for a little longer after that, and the fumes will be mostly gone.

If you force yourself to take your time, you will be more efficient. I did the same thing the first time I resined a piece, it came out pretty bad. Resin really won't start hardening for about 10 minutes, which is more than enough time for individual pieces.

I can still sand through the resin, yeah?

You can absolutely sand through resin, fibreglass, bondo, Rondo... Just about anything you're willing to slap onto your piece. The idea is to put thin layers on and build it up, however, rather than dash everything on at once and have to dig through your layers like an archaeologist to get back to your base.

Less is more, and generally you won't find yourself needing to sand through your resin too often.

so here is rondo'd interior/resin layer on the outside, prepped for the visor cut.

10408620_805354756148943_3952742989332526141_n.jpg

and here is post visor cut. My hand makes it look kind of too small but it really isnt.

10464190_805354799482272_8846191631088775108_n.jpg

the white rectangular parts seen are where i put some packaging tape on the inside to cover up small holes before rondoing. That way when i slushed it around it didnt seep out and i still got the support needed. Currently, it doesnt feel completely dry. It has hardened but if i push hard enough i can leave a finger print. Its been a few days sense I did the slushing so I'm a bit worried.

first bondo session. After looking at these photos i realized theyre pretty trash in quality..
from what you can see, do you think i put too much/little on as a first layer? I've only coated the top.

10463015_808736355810783_4819358504310897158_n.jpg

10444364_808736329144119_621128124416432478_n.jpg

10501708_808736379144114_1251883538992342854_n.jpg

You are doing better then my first try. I didnt know about line scoring my first attempt so everything got crooked. Only thing i would suggest is working away from detail lines. for example if this is your detail line put the smooth part of the applicator and work out [-----> that way you dont fill in the detail lines. I did that my first try and it was a pain to clean it out.

Some good work here,

On a side note where did you get the pep files for this helmet as i have had a look around and i am not sure which ODST one it is.

When it comes to the amount, that probably is a bit much, but no worries. I did the exact same thing when I started my bondo a few weeks back. Just be liberal with your sanding and in the future use just enough to cover the surface, globs like the ones you've got can be a bit tough to get rid of completely. Other than that, loving it, great pep job. Can't wait to see how things go. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back