First Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hero Otaku

So for my first build I'm thinking of doing Mk 6 from halo 3, Master Chief of course. I will use this build to gain experience. My real goal is to make a beautiful suit of Mk 4(halo wars) based off Chief when he was young. So here is what I know so far about my Mk 6. I plan to make it out of foam since it's just practice and I already know how to do it the paper-fiberglass way. I'm trying to figure out which is a better method. I want my armor to be durable(I wanna be able to sit down, lay on my back, put my weight on it basically, and I'm very light) but very detailed.

Mk 6 plans:

so I'll find a template/pepakura file, and if I do a pepakura file I'll take off the flaps since I won't need them. I'll resize it so that I have room for padding and my under-suit.

Then I'll cut out the template into foam and piece it together, winging it, and testing things out.

After piecing my armor together I will coat it in plasti-dip and/or bondo and paint it.

I will make straps and ways to attach it to myself, I'll pad it, and then I will either use a plain black under-suit or a motocross suit for that extra spartan thickness. I'll also purchase a visor since this is my first build, I already have one I want to purchase in mind.

and boom, it's done? I know it's not that simple so what am I missing?

Also tips, lots of them, shoot them at me like I'm a hoard of flood on heroic.

Good luck on the build and don't be afraid of asking questions here on the forums! Your build plan sounds like a good approach except for one little stumbling point.
After piecing my armor together I will coat it in plasti-dip and/or bondo and paint it.
If you're working with foam for this suit of armour you want to match a flexible filler to the flexible material or else everything will be likely to crack and fall off relatively quickly. PlastiDip is a good choice for a primer, Leak Seal is also another option that may be cheaper in your area. For gap filling specifically instead of Bondo take a look at Lumins Workshop Foam Clay and Woodland Scenics Foam Putty for flexible foam fillers that fix whoopsie spots on your suit.

Once again, welcome and good luck!

Good luck on the build and don't be afraid of asking questions here on the forums! Your build plan sounds like a good approach except for one little stumbling point.

If you're working with foam for this suit of armour you want to match a flexible filler to the flexible material or else everything will be likely to crack and fall off relatively quickly. PlastiDip is a good choice for a primer, Leak Seal is also another option that may be cheaper in your area. For gap filling specifically instead of Bondo take a look at Lumins Workshop Foam Clay and Woodland Scenics Foam Putty for flexible foam fillers that fix whoopsie spots on your suit.

Once again, welcome and good luck!

OH, thanks! I'm glad you told me before I made the mistake! I will definitely check both of these out! The 405th is very welcoming, it brightens my day.

OH, thanks! I'm glad you told me before I made the mistake! I will definitely check both of these out! The 405th is very welcoming, it brightens my day.
If I can also recommend some things I would totally recommend looking at foam tutorials and practicing some cuts like beveling, and doing angled pieces before you get to your actual armor. A bit of practice will save you a lot of foam (and stress).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back