First Helmet - Mark V[B]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stickalope

So this is actually about 90% post-mortem, since the helmet is basically done except the visor, but anyway here goes.

I'm new here and to cosplay/prop-making in general, so I went into this build with the goal of buying as few things as possible and just using what I had on hand, partly so as not to sink a bunch of money into something new, and partly because I was unemployed for the duration of the build (yay covid). I have done some making in various adjacent mediums in the past though, and had some materials on hand, so I felt like I could at least end up with something passable.

This being a budget build, I tried my hand at pepping since the cost of entry is low and I wouldn't feel bad about using a bunch of cardstock if I failed horribly. Which is good, because the first try ended up too small and a little sloppy. Second one was about the right size (and neater, thanks to the practice).
20210620_215550.jpg

Once I was confident with the size, I hardened the paper with some epoxy I had leftover from an automotive repair, then reinforced with fiberglass I had for the same purpose. Hours of filler primer and bondo later, it was onto paint; the base color wasn't quite what I used for Reach multi (as close as I was using to a reference), but honestly better than I expected for a rattle-can I had lying around. It is very orange.
20210817_205453.jpg
20210827_130238.jpg

I steeled myself and cut the first ding into my shiny new paint job, followed by lots more abuse to get the worn-and-beaten look. Anywhere it cut deep enough to show resin/paper, I hit it with a silver paint pen (that I also had lying around) and pretended it was metal. Then lots of dirtying up with acrylics I had from various painting projects.
20210916_201244.jpg

Overall I'm fairly happy with it, the photo doesn't quite do it justice in my opinion. I think it could use some more oil/grime and larger scale weathering, so I may revisit that once I have a visor to finish it out. I've been debating over going with a cheap motorcycle replacement or try my hand at building a vacuum former. Now that I'll be making a steady income again, I might put a bit of money into it, but as of now the only thing I had to buy was more epoxy.

Thanks for reading; hopefully I'll have an update soon with the finished thing, but for now we can pretend
20210916_201412 (3).jpg

Oh my word, that turned out beautifully! If I hadn't seen the first picture of the pepakura construction I would swear that helmet was a cast or 3D print, you did such a good job on smoothing that out. The weathering seems fine to me, but that's on your own personal preferences if you want it scuffed up a bit more.

Oh my word, that turned out beautifully! If I hadn't seen the first picture of the pepakura construction I would swear that helmet was a cast or 3D print, you did such a good job on smoothing that out. The weathering seems fine to me, but that's on your own personal preferences if you want it scuffed up a bit more.
Thank you! It was a lot of hours sanding/filling, but it doubled as therapy so I didn't mind spending extra time on it.

Also I saw your avatar and checked out your ghost, that thing is fantastic, I love it

Mate that looks real nice, so now you know you can do it quite well, you planning on doing a full armour set?
Thanks, appreciate it. As for the full armor, I'm debating, life is about to get pretty chaotic, so once things settle down I'll revisit. I'd like to get into the 3D printing scene a bit as well, so that might be the route I go for a full suit.

Update time: got a cheap motorcycle visor, which was a mistake. I had planned to heat form it as needed to get it into shape, but the heat required to soften the structural plastic of the visor degraded whatever was used for the tinting/mirror finish, making it impossible to see through. I was at least able to get it shaped enough for a picture, but there are still some hefty gaps:

20210929_114607.jpg

(I should mention I also did another heavy weathering pass, which I am a huge fan of)
I might still be able to work it into a passable display-only visor (I had thought about doing this anyway, having one cracked and holed-through like in the ending credits of Reach), but I'll need another solution for actually wearing it.

Anyone have any recommendations, without breaking the bank too much? Endgame would be vacuum-forming my own, but that would take some time to get the former put together and trial out the process. I've thought about some of the Icon props visor stuff, though buying a sheet of that would more than double my financial investment so far...

Final update on the helmet, new visor is fitted and dirtied up a bit, now easily wearable (and see-throughable) and no more unsightly gaps.

20211012_202733.jpg

That's all I've got at the moment, still debating on approaches to a full suit, printed (still need printer) vs pep vs some sort of blend of the two. Probably won't make a final call on that until I have a printer to play with and see how it handles.

Final update on the helmet, new visor is fitted and dirtied up a bit, now easily wearable (and see-throughable) and no more unsightly gaps.

View attachment 310701

That's all I've got at the moment, still debating on approaches to a full suit, printed (still need printer) vs pep vs some sort of blend of the two. Probably won't make a final call on that until I have a printer to play with and see how it handles.
The gasket, the visor grime, the heel of the thumb shaped smudges pushing dirt aside
Stephen Colbert Chefs Kiss GIF by The Late Show With Stephen Colbert

Always glad to see someone appreciate the little details!

Thanks Tyler! I tried to capture the "been through some (stuff)" feeling, hopefully it comes across
I am currently finishing off a raw Infinite Master Chief suit and will most likely be doing some heavy weathering. Good luck with your helmet.

If you didn't mention that it was pepakura I would have thought you either printed it or bought a cast. That is some incredibly clean work. Also... Mark V(b) with no brim???

If you didn't mention that it was pepakura I would have thought you either printed it or bought a cast. That is some incredibly clean work. Also... Mark V(b) with no brim???
There were definitely a few points where I sanded holes through the fiberglass trying to get rid of the pepakura peaks and creases, but if I didn't tell you that you'd not be able to tell, nothing fiberglass patches and copious amounts of bondo won't fix. And no brim on this one at least, maybe version 2 will have one, along with a few other minor fixes/mods.

that is soooo nice, especially for a first go. it looks pro level. how heavy is it in the end?
you should totally do a suit. with your bodyshopping skills you could easily do a pep-resin version as good or better than a 3d printer.

that is soooo nice, especially for a first go. it looks pro level. how heavy is it in the end?
you should totally do a suit. with your bodyshopping skills you could easily do a pep-resin version as good or better than a 3d printer.
Thank you! I just checked and it's under 2lbs. I actually have started some preliminary pep work, checking for scaling and such, for a full suit, so I'll probably start a new thread with those updates once there's more to show. Depending on how much detail I can get with that approach, I might graft on some printed bits but I think the main bodies will be pep/fiberglass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back