First Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demonic Crim

Well, been learning lots about the properties of paper in these last couple of days, and have finally finished assembling my first complete helmet. Plan on using some Rigid Wrap later on after I coat it with one more Mod Podge Layer. After it's all harder, I'm going to spray paint the helmet and screen seperatley. Metalic Gold for the screen, and textured Sandy Brown for the helmet. I'll try my hand at adding scratch marks, and other little things. My camera isn't working right now so I used my webcam. It wouldn't work if the background was white so I had to add some colour. Once I get the Camera working I'll post some new pics.
Tell me what you think :mrgreen:

UPDATE: Camera working, new photos.
000_0014.jpg
000_0013.jpg
000_0012.jpg
000_0011.jpg
000_0010.jpg

would someone explain how mod podge works? because i just finished my final helmet (paper) and i dont think it will hold up with 'glass. is mod podge a better solution or no?

TheBlue said:
would someone explain how mod podge works? because i just finished my final helmet (paper) and i dont think it will hold up with 'glass. is mod podge a better solution or no?

Well, I use Mod Podge primarily because I will be using a very wet substance as my final hardening layer. This is not my hardening layer. Mod Podge does stiffen paper, but it also makes it more resistant to water. You can layer Mod Podge many times and it will probably only make a better result. Hope that helps. :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
sweet. can i get the stuff from my local michael's? also, what are you using to harden it more?( the wet substance?)

TheBlue said:
sweet. can i get the stuff from my local michael's? also, what are you using to harden it more?( the wet substance?)

Ya, I got everything from my local Micheal's. I'm using this as my wet substance. It's Rigid Wrap.. Haven't used it yet, but heck, it looks like the same substance old casts (Not the mold cast, the medical cast) was made out of.

Last edited by a moderator:
sweet, i use rigid wrap too, the helmet needs some cleaning up, but it'll look great when your done. Oh and rigid wrap is just the company, the name of the actual stuff is called plaster gauze

ok. just bought stuff to glass my reg. paper pieces. is the mod podge good for reinforcing the reg. paper b4 glassing it?

Sorry, I just remembered...

With that plaster gauze, keep im mind that you can smooth it after applying it by dipping your fingers in water and rubbing out wrinkles and details.

Just a little advise.

I have made several full body casts with that stuff in art school. :lindsey:

Well, got the helmet plastered and first pait on! Still need to add scratch colour, black on the back, and screen thingy. Here are some pics;

000_0018.jpg

000_0017.jpg

000_0016.jpg

000_0015.jpg

For my first project, I decided to use some different paint, not the regular green.

Looks like concrete!

But I know that'll change when you paint it.

What kind of paint are you going to use?

I've had lots of luck with acrylics on plaster gauze... it really sticks, and has some smoothing effects that may help you out here.

That is the pain't ;-) . Have another helmet almost done and had that lying around so I used that can. But ya, for my next I'm using a steel colour. This project was kinda like a test run. I got a feel of the things I was working with and learned alot :mrgreen:

ok im not gonna fiberglass my stuff. it just emptyed my pocket money :eek
so im gonna mache it, since im using reg. paper. maybe next editon ill use cardstock and glass.

btw, your helm is lookin good.

Thanks Blue! Hope your mache goes well. This whole making models is kinda addicting :hyper: . Think I'm going to try and make a grunt mask out of wire, cardstock, and plaster gauze next :mrgreen: .

Good job, but you could've gotten the plaster gauze a lot smoother than that. Just rub it with your fingers... Good job, and I think you should put some acrylic paints on that baby there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back