FOAM TUTORIAL: Cleaning Up Excess Hot Glue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there! Welcome to another one of my mini tutorials.
When working on my builds I sometimes discover tips and tricks that make builds easier, ones that you don't see posted around often, so hopefully these mini tutorials will help you guys out with those 'Little things' that don't have tutorials.

Cleaning Up Excess Hot Glue
Step 1
Quite obviously, locate your overflowing/excess glue you want gone. (I had to purposely make this overflow as I had fixed all of mine.)
9K4aBYU.jpg

Step 2
Locate a lighter or a high source of heat and an old/spare Xacto blade. (To be honest any knife will work, I used scissors one time.)
What I'm using is a spare blade that's useless for cutting foam, but perfect for this, I'm not sure of its purpose, it just came with my blade.
ppotGyg.jpg

Step 3
Using the lighter/heat source, heat up the tip/flat edge of the blade. MAKE SURE you are not just holding the blade, it will heat up FAST. I' blu-tacked my blade to a post as I couldn't hold it, light it and take a picture all at once. I'd suggest just using a standard Xacto-blade handle. Whatever it is make sure it's large enough to keep your hand far away from the heated blade.
YiaX7ve.jpg

Step 4
In a paintbrush motion, slowly brush the flat edge of the blade across the seam, this will remelt the glue and spread it flat like butter. If the glue isn't melting, lightly jab into it with the hot blade to soften it up. After one stroke, wipe any glue off the blade with a cloth or cotton-bud (Again be careful IT'S HOT). Reheat your blade and repeat the process.
MVIBv1r.jpg

Step 5
You'll notice any glue left on the piece is in a very thin film, using your nails or a blade, you can pick the film off when it's dried, it will usually leave some rough edges over the seam, so go over the seam once more with the hot blade to straiten any glue left in the seam.
A1hl7wj.jpg

Step 6 (Optional)
You can repeat the first 5 steps as much as necessary, the more you do it, the better it will look.
ZYZQwV8.jpg

You can also heat the blunt udge of the blade and slide scape under the foam, it won't cut through the foam but will pretty much lift up any hot glue.

I hope this helped some of you guys! :)

-S420

PS: Props to anyone who can guess what I'm building.

9K4aBYU.jpg

ppotGyg.jpg

YiaX7ve.jpg

MVIBv1r.jpg

A1hl7wj.jpg

ZYZQwV8.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A useful tip, and one that could be tweaked for adding effects to a piece. For example, if the overflow happens to fall on a seam where it would make sense for the piece to have been welded (certain Halo 3 and even Reach armor pieces have such seams) you could use this method to build up and shape the glue to look like a welded seam.

Likewise I imagine you could use this method to shape small globs of glue for adding the little details similar to how some have used bondo to build up details on their fiberglass projects, although it would take some practice of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back