Foamies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan 101

I've seen armor parts made before by foamies or flexifoam I think (Ethica did show a cod piec made out of flexifoam)

so the question is can anyone explain how to use it in armour making or tell me where to start?

also, where are the places you usually find the stuff?

I'd really appreciat it.

yes, I was about to ask the same question. these "flexfoam" pieces look very nice and have lots of potential to them. I would be interested to know how to make them.

Unless I am mistaken, "Foamies" and flexfoam are two drastically different things.

Foamies are the sheets of foam material you can buy at craft stores,often called "craft foam," and come in around 3mm and 6mm thickness. It is possible to make armor out of them, as shown by this tutorial:

http://entropyhouse.com/penwiper/costumes/helmsdeep.html

Ithica had a tutorial video on applying resin to a a foamie to give it strength and durability, which works well. I myself recently made a piece out resin coated foamies for a different costume.

Flexfoam, if I have the right material, is a two part casting rigid foam. Basically, it comes in two parts, you mix them together, pour the mixture into a mold, where it sets into a rigid, yet flexible foam material.

You are correct. The Flex Foam It is a 2 part Urethane Foam with a 2-1 mixture. I use The Flex Foam It for my cod down to my boots and I will do my Gaunlets with it as well. The only plastic is chest plate, helmet and shoulders. I have also used Foamies for setail on my Helms. Let us know which one you want to know more about.

Ithica

@ Ithica (or anyone else with flex foam experience)

How durable is the flex foam? I have seen the video where you demonstrate it, but I am unsure of how long it would actually last/stay in one piece if you were walking around in it quite a lot.

How easy is it to mold and cast flex foam?

Apart from that it looks like a great sub for resin and fiberglass pieces. Especially for movement.

They will last as long as plastic. They are a lil harder to mold and cost twice as much but it is worth it.

Ithica

Thanks Ithica.

Is it just the same painting technique as fiberglass and bondo that you use or do you have to use a different one to prevent paint cracking from the flexing?

Hmm? Price versus flexiblity? (Intense pondering begins)

You will need to use water base acrylic paint or latex paint to paint the Flex Foam It.

Ithica

I see...

does this mean that I can't use foamies for pepakura models?

and can it be used instead of a fiberglass cloth or mat?

I know this might sound bizzare but isn't the main job of a fiberglass cloth to hold a bigger amount of resin so it can cure better?

please correct me if I'm wrong.

Spartan-101 said:
I see...

does this mean that I can't use foamies for pepakura models?

and can it be used instead of a fiberglass cloth or mat?

I know this might sound bizzare but isn't the main job of a fiberglass cloth to hold a bigger amount of resin so it can cure better?

please correct me if I'm wrong.

Even when soaked in resin, the foamie is still flexible, it does not become rigid, really it only becomes more resistant to tearing. The main job of Fiberglass is to act like the re-bar in concrete, adding additional strength and rigidity to the resin. Just apply some resin to the back of a piece of paper, and it will harden a little, but it can still be bent, and it still slightly pliable. However, put fiberglass back there, and the fiberglass fibers absorb the resin and almost lock into place when they dry, as they are designed to do, to give the piece additional strength and rigidity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys.

still, did anyone try to use foamies for pepping? I'm having my exams right now so I can't really go and get the stuff and try.

i dont think foamys would be good for pep unless you use it afterwards to add detail or smooth areas ,your card stock would hold form better and the foam is way to flexible, beside card stock would be alot cheaper,and yes ive used it on a few projects works great

Status
Not open for further replies.