Folded and Resined

Status
Not open for further replies.

xisox

Hey, I just got done with the first layer of resin around a "Flying Squirl" Pep helmet. I didn't really scale it, so I was wondering if I could have some input...

The size tester seemed to fit fine, but the actual helmet was a bit smaller than I anticipated, I'm not sure if I can even get a visor to fit in there, unless everyone uses a heat gun to shape it or something.

I'm planning on covering this thing with clay and using it as a base to sculpt on after I harden it up a bit with some matting.

img0954yk1.jpg

img0955im0.jpg

img0956eo2.jpg

What do you think?

EDIT: It doesn't fit on my head because of the lip on the bottom, but I don't want to cut it off, so I'm kind of stuck, as far as sizing goes. I don't know how big or small this thing is supposed to be, it fits over my head and covers everything, but there isn't much room inside for padding or the like.

Xisox said:
Hey, I just got done with the first layer of resin around a "Flying Squirl" Pep helmet. I didn't really scale it, so I was wondering if I could have some input...

The size tester seemed to fit fine, but the actual helmet was a bit smaller than I anticipated, I'm not sure if I can even get a visor to fit in there, unless everyone uses a heat gun to shape it or something.

I'm planning on covering this thing with clay and using it as a base to sculpt on after I harden it up a bit with some matting.

EDIT: It doesn't fit on my head because of the lip on the bottom, but I don't want to cut it off, so I'm kind of stuck, as far as sizing goes. I don't know how big or small this thing is supposed to be, it fits over my head and covers everything, but there isn't much room inside for padding or the like.

looks great! you will have to cut off another little bit around the rim to fit you head in unfortunatly. why sculpt over it? if anything you'd need to sand back a bit not add to it because of the way i modeled it. it might end up looking very chunky. about the visor, you might have missed it but i added about 5 mm all the way arround the rimm of where the visor goes(mentioned it in the post with thte visor,i think), this was to give you a bit of playe with how much you can cut away when fitting the visor. cut that off and you should be grand. there should be about an inch or so of space inside the helmit. cut of a bit of the rim on the base and try get it on then. did you use the supports bdw?
FS

Last edited by a moderator:
What he said. But I really like the idea of keeping the bottle under the helmet while it dries, it prevents it from warping

Zaso117 said:
But I really like the idea of keeping the bottle under the helmet while it dries, it prevents it from warping
that was why i added the support struts to it. ;)

This is where the resin paste Im getting comes in handy, consider it fiberglass bondo, as the glass particles are already mixed in.
Add it into the inside, then sand down the paper fold ridges to make it smooth.

Great job by the way!

The only thing now, though is it appears as though the paper got saturated down into the paper. Which will be harder to sand through.

I have done the same thing with my mandalorian helmet in my work shop. its made of paper as well, and cardboard for rigidity,
http://www.swftools.com/tools-details.php?tool=1979751239
Flying_squirrel:
One note,
For keeping the the shape in the helmet or parts people can cut out a ring of cardboard and epoxy/hot glue it in place. This will allow it to be worn, but also keep the shape, provided ppl canget a template to cut out. This worked well for my mando helmet. Instead of the paper supports that are like cross beams blocking the insides, and preventing it being placed on the head at all.

Im trying to find someone whom can use the Halo, 2, 3 models and place them into .swf viewers which is basically a 3d model viewer which allows you to view the model without actually getting it. This way you can rotate the model in every concievable direction so you can look into every detail. This helps with costuming immensly.

We all need to get on yahoo, and google, and post up every photo we can find in our gallery right now there is only a couple of photo's in it. Ill try to help with this, but if everyone could take out alittle time to upload photos int ot he gallery it will help everyone alot! Including the undersuit details.

Darth-Malevelus said:
Flying_squirrel:
One note,
For keeping the the shape in the helmet or parts people can cut out a ring of cardboard and epoxy/hot glue it in place. This will allow it to be worn, but also keep the shape, provided ppl canget a template to cut out. This worked well for my mando helmet. Instead of the paper supports that are like cross beams blocking the insides, and preventing it being placed on the head at all.
Im trying to find someone whom can use the Halo, 2, 3 models and place them into .swf viewers which is basically a 3d model viewer which allows you to view the model without actually getting it. This way you can rotate the model in every concievable direction so you can look into every detail. This helps with costuming immensly.
the idea is that you add these when your happy that its the right size then you add them. they go accross like beams because they were intended to gie the most ammount of anti-warp support. never heard of that .swf viewer. must check it out.

Cut before you fiberglass it, when something is resin'd you can still carefully use siscors and cut it, when it's fiberglassed, you could end up cracking the side of the helmet, then it's hard to fix.

@Flying Squirl: Hey, thanks for the comment! You did a really nice job with the pep file, it actually took me a couple days to get it all done, but it was well worth it.

I think what I'm going to try to do is print out the pieces of the back of the helmet where it turns to black in the game, and make another version of that, this time adding a little lip around the top of it, so that it can fit inside the helmet. I'll glass that up and attach it to the back of some sort of ski mask so that the lip around the helmet can be preserved. Since it's coming apart where there is a colour shift, it shouldn't be much of a problem, I'm hoping.

Actually, I didn't use the struts, I couldn't figure them out so I decided to just go over the folds on the outside of the helmet really lightly with the fiberglass resin, wait for that to cure, then go lightly over the inside, then go lightly over the whole outside, and heavy over the whole inside. It worked out pretty well, but I ended up gluing some home-made struts from the flat bill area to the inside of the helmet to keep it down, as it was sticking up quite a bit. My error, not yours.

@Darth_Malevelus: Thanks for the compliment!

Do you mean like Evercoat "Kitty Hair" filler, or is it a home-made concoction?

Yeah, a SWF viewer would be killer. I've looked for 3D models and stuff like that, but I can't ever find anything. It would help immensely for places that are hard to see, such as the back of the helmet.

@AoBfrost: Thanks for the tip, I didn't really think of it. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back