Gears Of War 3 Elite Onyx Guard Helm(Picture heavy)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImDocHolliday

Ok, so, long time lurker, first time....Poster-er? I decided to actually somewhat document what will be my first full helmet build, I made a mask of Dr.Doom for halloween but it was whipped together waaaay too fast.

Initially I made one helm, bondo and rondo-ed it, but after tweaking and messing with it, I realized that the initial paper model just wasnt symmetrical or straight enough. Lesson learned. So I went ahead and made another helm and am progressing along with that.

Im making this for a christmas gift for my buddy. I made him an arcade fight stick for his xbox for his birthday, so I have to outdo myself this time.

ckfeht8bf

initial helm
http://postimg.org/image/3sczrw4wx/

http://postimg.org/image/qkw07prs1/
New and improved!
http://postimg.org/image/enst1fl9b/
first coat bondo
http://postimg.org/image/82qdoel17/
first sand, rondo eye
http://postimg.org/image/5p54ihlj7/
new and old comparison
http://postimg.org/image/evqqkobuj/
Image showcasing the detail around eye.

More to come soon after yet more sanding and bondo-ery!

photo.jpg

photo_1.jpg

hopefully these actually show up on my page rather than just having a link to them. Like I said, first time really using this forum.
I have the cheeks carved out, and around the eyes smoothed. Tomorrow hopefully I am going to get the forhead divot grooves carved out. Its starting to come together!

Any comments, critiques, Gear-Heads, all are more than welcome.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 225
  • photo_1.jpg
    photo_1.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 210
Saw the title and subbed. Loving this build it looks good and you seem to be getting the details in well. If u finish and make a mold and give a cast to your friend I think a whole suit would be beyond epic. Can't wait to see it develop further

Hey! Thanks for the comment! I appreciate the interest. I would like to try a mold sometime, I am just not all that sure I am quite ready for that level of awesome yet. I would have to try molding something smaller first. After I got my grooves cut, I decided to get a bit more detail out of clay than from just carving it out of rondo. So....enter....."Green Stuff". We shall see when its done but I am hoping that it will give me a fair amount of detail that I can then paint for the finishing touches.

Also, Sorry about the picture size, I just take them straight off my iphone, and apparently my iphone is beast mode pic size.

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

Attachments

• photo_2.jpg
    photo_2.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 225
  • photo_3.jpg
    photo_3.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 247
Ok, I havent posted in a few weeks mainly due to the holidays, but that doesnt mean I havent been at work on this build to make it ready by christmas.

photo_12.jpg

picture of the hemet break
photo_15.jpg

magnets to hold the helm together when worn.
photo_8.jpg

inside hinge, soon to be covered with foam.
photo_9.jpg

Wearing it! not done yet. have to finish painting, only on second coat, and put the eyes in. I would like to put leds in, but I just dont think the helm is big enough. Otherwise it would totally happen.
photo_10.jpg

Attachments

• photo_12.jpg
    photo_12.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 216
  • photo_15.jpg
    photo_15.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 215
  • photo_10.jpg
    photo_10.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 211
  • photo_9.jpg
    photo_9.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 238
  • photo_8.jpg
    photo_8.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 241
This is looking seriously good. I like how well the clay looks along with all the small details. Are you using self hardening clay or something else?

I am actually using this stuff that lots of Warhammer painters use for small details. It is known as "green stuff". You can get it in a tube at any hobby shop that sells miniature models. You can get incredibly small detail out of it. It comes as yellow and blue clay that you mix together until it is green. Then you have between 4 and six working hours depending on the mixture. If you've never tried it I would definitely recommend it to try out. It's nice because it doesn't keep fingerprints like a lot of clay does.

It works Great on em too! When it dries you dont even need to glue it, since its soo strong already. A must for fine detailing. At least as far as I have used it.

Ok, heres what I have done for today. I think im done painting for the rest of the night. Exhausting! lol.

photo_3.jpg

This is the initial wash over a chrome and blue spray paint, I washed it with a blue acrylic, let it sit a bit, then wiped excess off. Then I painted the whole inside matte black, for the later detail to come.

photo_18.jpg

alternate view of the first pic.

photo_19.jpg

This is after I made it darker with some mystic black montana spray paint, I love using it to darken up things without having to completely repaint it.

photo_20.jpg

So, you can see that it is dark outside, so lack of light. I will get some of it tomorrow to show it better. Detail painted and highlighted most of it. Just have some little bits and pieces left to do. Then finish with lenses and it should be good to go.

photo_21.jpg

Attachments

• photo_3.jpg
    photo_3.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 208
  • photo_20.jpg
    photo_20.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 242
  • photo_19.jpg
    photo_19.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 237
  • photo_18.jpg
    photo_18.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 235
  • photo_21.jpg
    photo_21.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 226
If it were for myself then yes, I probably would. But as this is for my buddy for Christmas I don't have any plans to at the moment. Keep an eye out though. I am probably going to make myself a full suit of some kind of armor here in the not so distant future. Thanks for the "awesome" comment too.

Here it is. The final paint and build. I am ready to send it off after giving it two light coats of enamel and putting the lenses in the eyes.

photo_4.jpg

im going to post these pics a little bigger than the last ones, in case anybody wants to look at some detail/highlight work, etc...
photo_22.jpg

photo_23.jpg

Thanks to everyone who commented on it and lurked it, feel free to drop some more comments, statements, sentiments, talk about the snow, etc.

Attachments

• photo_4.jpg
    photo_4.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 230
  • photo_22.jpg
    photo_22.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 226
  • photo_23.jpg
    photo_23.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 209
If it were for myself then yes, I probably would. But as this is for my buddy for Christmas I don't have any plans to at the moment. Keep an eye out though. I am probably going to make myself a full suit of some kind of armor here in the not so distant future. Thanks for the "awesome" comment too.

Maybe next year you could make your friend the torso and then the legs/ boot the year after that :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back