Geeky Chick's Iron Man Pep

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeekyChick

Here it is, folks: my first pep! Currently a WIP. Iron Man, my favorite comic/movie/anything character. I have the arc reactor almost finished, just needs to be painted. Will post pics of that later.

Here's how it was about a month ago:

[attachment=12273:pICT0002 -- 2.jpg]

Today, after having procrastinated for basically the entire month, I got a lot of resining done. (Both the helmet and the torso piece.) It warped a lot in the process. )-: It looks a lot better in real life, that's for sure.

[attachment=12271:100_7307.jpg]

Unfortunately, when it came time to Bondo, I epically failed. To solve this, I'll probably just cut the globby part out and patch it up and repour some Mud. I know what I did wrong (miscalculated with the liquid hardener), so next time, I can avoid this outcome. Hopefully. XD

[attachment=12272:100_7309.jpg]

Now I smell like fiberglass resin! (-:

I hope to have this finished by Halloween, and now that I've stopped procrastinating, I think I can do it! It isn't the best Iron Man pep out there, but I'm pretty proud of it so far.

Well, you know what you did wrong so you are still doing good work. The only people that don't mess up are ones that never do anything.

Keep up the good work

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! I really appreciate it. (-:

Geo, I used http://www.mediafire.com/?mc5mzlpoj93 . Credit for it's creation goes to Belakor and Callmemilo, I think. (There may have been a couple others, but I don't remember their names. I'm sorry if one of them is you, dear reader.) The only problem with these files is on the left thigh, where two pieces overlap (it's easy enough to fix though, just trace the proper shape of both pieces). It's a great set of files. Good luck!

Updates: Not much to update. I'm finished pepping, now I'm just waiting for another sunny day to do some more resining & bondoing. Those blazing afternoons seem awfully scarce around here.

EDIT: Updates again! I bondoed the faceplate today, and it was a significant improvement over the first try. Here it is unsanded. It isn't great (yet) but it will steadily improve.

[attachment=12317:picture_07.jpg]

[attachment=12318:picture_08.jpg]

The second picture shows where that horrendous blob used to be. Bondo + Luck = WIN.

EDIT EDIT: Sanded the faceplate! I still have to fill in some of those nasty pits and pock-mars with bondo and trim a lots of fiberglass cloth, but I'm satisfied with it so far.

[attachment=12343:100_7319.jpg]

[attachment=12344:100_7317.jpg]

Happy Banned Books Week!

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Well, today it was extremely rainy all day, so I didn't think I was going to be able to do any glassing. However, it suddenly cleared up and was all blue sky, so I got out my glassing supplies and started resining and glassing. And of course, within half an hour the skies turned dark and stormy, the temperature dropped ten degrees, and the wind picked up so much that my unresined pieces started flying away!

Luckily, thanks to Tandhem's new technique, I got quite a bit done in the space of an hour. Now the biceps, faceplate, and left gauntlet are glassed. That is such a brilliant yet amazingly simple method! It works really well, and I would recommend it to anyone with little time in which to glass stuff.

Pictures wouldn't fit, sorry to double post.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: Worked again today (September 30th). Only about a month left! D8

Me working! Yay. (Picture courtesy of Dad.) (-:

[attachment=12370:100_7327.jpg]

Trying on the arm pieces. They fit, hooray!

[attachment=12369:100_7332.jpg]

Resized the thigh pieces (I didn't know about scaling when I printed the pieces), bondo'd the helmet. Still need to resize the shins and fix some issues with joints and movement.

Geeky Chick said:
Pictures wouldn't fit, sorry to double post.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT: Worked again today (September 30th). Only about a month left! D8

Me working! Yay. (Picture courtesy of Dad.) (-:

[attachment=12370:100_7327.jpg]

Trying on the arm pieces. They fit, hooray!

[attachment=12369:100_7332.jpg]

Resized the thigh pieces (I didn't know about scaling when I printed the pieces), bondo'd the helmet. Still need to resize the shins and fix some issues with joints and movement.

Your armors coming along great

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work so far. Keep it up!!

Wish my girlfriend would wear an iron man costume....guess itll be just me then..

Thanks for the makers! Looking great! Think you'll make Halloween?

By the way, what's your height? My son is right at 5' tall, he wants a suit but I still have yet to figure out the scaling for it.

Thanks!

Thanks, everyone!

Daftndirekt, you're right! What a weird coincidence. I've never played that, but I googled the picture (yay internets!)

Geo, I sure hope so! I've been working on it almost everyday. That would realllllly suck if I didn't get it done. (-:

I'm 5'8 and a half, but I didn't know about scaling when I printed everything, so I really won't be able to help. I've just been correcting sizes of stuff on the fly (cutting out pieces of the suit that aren't necessary and will look OK) . (-:

Speaking of which, I realized that the torso piece looked weird, so it's been changed pretty drastically from those pictures. Also, I found this foam stuff that I'm replacing the stomach plates and neck plates with so I can actually turn. I bought the spraypaint and yet more bondo and resin recently.

Thanks for the info!

Are the foam thin sheets? I've know a guy who made his niece a Star Wars Zam Wessell costume. He used the thin foam sheets for that. Michaels' sells it. Sounds like the same material, should work well. Good luck!

Geo: That's the idea, now I just have to get a ride from my parents (I only have my permit, no license yet) to a store that sells it around here. I hope it works. (-:

Update: I'm repepping the helmet. It just isn't good enough, and I want a better one. Also, I ran out of bondo yesterday. D: Remaking the helmet and resining stuff today.

Update 2: Not enough time before Halloween to repep the helmet. Got a giant tub of Bondo two days ago, and have since put it to good use. Torso is fully glassed, thigh pieces partially glassed. Had to redo the left gauntlet because of a stupid mistake. D:

Unfortunately, my mom randomly declared today that I am not allowed to use resin, bondo, or any combination of the two until I have a set of nitrile gloves. Unsurprisingly, I am extremely upset that she chose to tell me this now.

I have no idea (other than hand-sanding, urgh!) how I'm going to sand the chest piece. I really don't want to have to sand it.

Update 3: Sadly but unsurprisingly, I didn't get it finished in time for Halloween, even though I bought this nifty electric sander at Lowes. Many thanks to Necromancer518 for that suggestion. I'll still work on it, but not nearly as much without the Halloween incentive driving me. (-:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back