Getting More Then My Helmet Done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

koobs

Jr Member
I thought it is about time I showed what I've been working on for the past few months. I only need a few things done before Friday: finish my boots, paint a thigh piece and finish my webbing. Unfortunately, most of the body work has been behind my dorm, so I don't have very many W.I.P. pictures.
My helmet topic (please don't bump): http://405th.com/forums/index.php?showtopi...mp;#entry188494

Well, I finished at least.
Some finished pictures:

SL371435.jpg

SL371436.jpg

efasefgh.jpg

All my earlier pictures can be found here:
http://s200.photobucket.com/albums/aa161/mkubala/MkVI/

If you have questions, comments or criticism feel free to post them, and thank you for looking!

I agree with everyone above! (y) That looks amazing! Just in time for "Halo"ween too! I hope mine can turn out as good as yours!

wow dude, the paint job is really freakin good! any chance you'd go further into how you did the black effect? that is if its paint, it looks like a different material, which is awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with flipboy...that matt black finished you've used looks excellent. It seems to bring out the fine detail so much more and seems much more realistic on armor than something like a gloss black. Great work!

Thanks for all the awesome replies! :D

The neck details were made from 0.1 cm styrene sheets and just epoxied down:

SL4.jpg

Can you believe that the right side still peeled away and I had to redo this?
SL3.jpg

But for the black, I just used the dark grey automotive primer which gives a nice flat finish.
I also got some more done last night: (calf pieces were finished, just trying to finalize the boots)

SL34.jpg

Unfortunately only had time for the standard def. boot.
SL371.jpg

ooooooh okay, styrene. thats awesome! ill have to look more into doing something like that. ill might use it for my dual layer helmet, as thorossil has done. one last question, where could i go abouts gettin some styrene? did u have to order it, or like get it from lowes? and even though the boots are standard, they still look really good! glad u finished in time. good job mate!

So this is the HD format project?..... man I have a real desire to use that now. Could make my job a lil easier on my new EVA armor. Same concept..flexible material! Makes for a lot of fun. Got any more of the building pics for the armor? I'll definitely follow the same process.

Looking good, though I would suggest more padding for the boots around the ankle area. I've got the feeling those edges are going to chave and rub like a motherlover.

flipboy439 said:
ooooooh okay, styrene. thats awesome! ill have to look more into doing something like that. ill might use it for my dual layer helmet, as thorossil has done. one last question, where could i go abouts gettin some styrene? did u have to order it, or like get it from lowes? and even though the boots are standard, they still look really good! glad u finished in time. good job mate!
You can get styrene from most hobby stores (got mine from hobby lobby) but the clear plastics that you can use for a visor is probably going to be ABS or if you're luck lexan.

Crucible said:
Looking good, though I would suggest more padding for the boots around the ankle area. I've got the feeling those edges are going to chave and rub like a motherlover.
Surprisingly, the boots and calf pieces did not chaff too badly. Mostly it was my right thigh and right calf that were rubbing.

Thanks for all the great replies, questions are welcome.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats an awsome suit you have there. I'll have to pull my finger out and get a move on with mine, that is if the kids don't sit on my nearly finished HD helmet like they did last time. lol.

Anyway. nicely done mate.

Wow that looks amazing. Also the black wash looks amazing, I think I went overboard on my own helmet with that part. What did you use to bridge the toe and heel of the boot piece? It looks like some corrugated tubing.

Thanks everyone! For the boots I used some flexible tubing that I found at Menards for water drainage.

Got some more pictures:
n684216929_1473669_1787.jpg

n684216929_1473670_2086.jpg

I have no idea who this guy is...

n684216929_1473672_2692.jpg

It was such a nice day out.

Also, next on my list, besides completely finishing my suit (it needs a lot of Bondo still), is:
SL371482.jpg

SL371481.jpg

If anyone can guess* what it is I'll be amazed.

*not Iron Man

hmm difficult. Looks like its gonna have a organic feeling to it.
maybe you should show pics of it in further status cous now i really cant guess :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back