Goku's Pep MKVI Armor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for all the comments.

Unfortunately I'm still having problems getting my fiberglass to dry but it is, just slow. I should have some pics tomorrow, I would tonight but I can't use my left hand due to a stupid blister. >_>

Edit: If anyone else has problems with the fiberglass resin curing and/or changing colors, look at what you're mixing in. I was using a brown butter bowl and my resin turned green and would not cure. I switched to a steel pie pan and viola, it worked beautifully. Same resin to harden ratio, same temp, everything, just a different container.

Gokussj5okazu said:
Thanks for all the comments.

Unfortunately I'm still having problems getting my fiberglass to dry but it is, just slow. I should have some pics tomorrow, I would tonight but I can't use my left hand due to a stupid blister. >_>

Edit: If anyone else has problems with the fiberglass resin curing and/or changing colors, look at what you're mixing in. I was using a brown butter bowl and my resin turned green and would not cure. I switched to a steel pie pan and viola, it worked beautifully. Same resin to harden ratio, same temp, everything, just a different container.
put more hardener in the fiberglass cause it sounds like you dont have enough

Last edited by a moderator:
So your saying the resin leached material from the butter dish? and gave it that funny green color...

I have used a dish like that in the past and it always worked for me... bummer... I mix all my resin in foil bowls for clean up puposes now that I can eyeball the amount of hardner to mix in...

As for the not curing... most likely the weather/temperature... heat/sun/light all help, and if you can't get the temperature to about 70 degrees the fiberglass will take forever to cure... mixing in to much hardener to compensate will cause the resin/fiberglass to become brittle, and it may start stress cracking at any sharp corners on your piece later... but you couls always claim it was battle damage...

Thanks for all the tips, Spase.

As far as I can tell, the butter bowl was indeed what caused the green color. Since I switched to a pie pan it's all turned out normal and dark yellow.

I know what's caused the curing problems. It's been about 65* all weekend here, plus I use a bit less than recommended hardener. I sat a few pieces atop our wood stove night before last and they cured right up, so it's just a matter of heat.

Oh, and what you have got so far looks great... interested to see the final product of a plaster helm...

Spase said:
Oh, and what you have got so far looks great... interested to see the final product of a plaster helm...

Thanks.

I made up a super hot batch of resin earlier, slapped her on and it was cure within an hour under my heat lamp, fixed my tacky resin problem too. Anyhow, here's some pics of it after I sanded with 60 grit to remove the small dents, then polished with 320, plus a shot of red filler paint. The pics really don't do it justice, but trust me, it's so smooth it's like glass.

helmsmooth.jpg

helmsmooth2.jpg

Now that's I've got my technique down, I'm getting to work on the rest of the helmet. SO far I've just been experimenting with the left side, so now onto the rest. In case anyone hasn't been following, here's been my method;

1. Start with Pepakura base, single coat of resin, sanded with 60 grit paper.

2. Applied generous amounts of plaster of Paris, then sand to desired shape and detail.

3. Apply Bondo to fill in small holes, corners, ect. Sand with 60 grit to shape.

4. Apply a thick coat of resin, let dry, sand with 60 grit then 320 grit.

This method has yielded me a very smooth and shiny surface, as if it's solid plastic. Tomorrow I should have some pics of the crown up.

Gokussj5okazu said:
Now that's I've got my technique down, I'm getting to work on the rest of the helmet. SO far I've just been experimenting with the left side, so now onto the rest. In case anyone hasn't been following, here's been my method;

1. Start with Pepakura base, single coat of resin, sanded with 60 grit paper.

2. Applied generous amounts of plaster of Paris, then sand to desired shape and detail.

3. Apply Bondo to fill in small holes, corners, ect. Sand with 60 grit to shape.

4. Apply a thick coat of resin, let dry, sand with 60 grit then 320 grit.

This method has yielded me a very smooth and shiny surface, as if it's solid plastic. Tomorrow I should have some pics of the crown up.

Looking really really good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back