Grasping the Energy Sword

Status
Not open for further replies.

thatdecade

Does anyone have pictures in game of normal sized humans (marines, engineers, etc) holding the energy sword?

Problem with the energy sword prop is the massive hilt is hard for costumers to grasp. Makes sense because it was designed for an alien hand with four large fingers. Master Chief is human, but has no issue because his hands are huge too.

Attached pictures are me trying a few different grip types. Also available on https://flic.kr/p/EL1emr

The way Master Chief holds the hilt is the least comfortable, two fingers on either side. The last photo, with my thumb forward, is the most comfortable. The weight of the blades keeps the hilt balanced in my hand there.

Three fingers on one side is best when making swings.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    952.6 KB · Views: 248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    896.6 KB · Views: 286
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    841.5 KB · Views: 248
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 263
You talk about the center of gravity/balance. I'd imagine in game this makes sense, but I never anticipated a similar result IRL due to material differences and such, ie: metal/plasma:resin/urethane. When you describe balance, are you suggesting perfect balance or comfortable balance?

The energy sword that you're referencing is also a Halo 3/ODST style. One of the thickest, if not the thickest, of the energy sword blades in the series. It's also the shortest of the bunch. My build as you've seen is the Reach variant, the blades are a bit longer and a lot skinnier than that of the Halo 3 style. I assume this just means the weight will be spread out a bit more, but shouldn't be that much of a difference in balance. But I'm not sure yet.

Looking at your hand placement and describing it on my thread, I never would have thought about that, even looking back at some of the early promo work by Sean with the first energy sword builds he's holding it in the 'Master Chief' style split finger grip. Pretty interesting to say the least.

Exactly. Plasma would be near weightless, but irl we have pesky weight from plastic blades. I imagine the perfect grip being a hand placement that is both balanced and effortless to hold.

I didn't mention in the first post, thanks for reminding me. Pictured are mostly Halo 3 style, with a single Halo 2 style thrown in for comparison.

So how would you rate the balance on the Halo 3 style sword? With electronics and everything included. Front heavy, rear heavy? I take it because it's all solid material that there's going to be a slight imbalance. But again how would you describe the balance on yours and what is attributing to that balance?

Also until you pointed out the hilt differences, I didn't notice one bit, but man there is definitely a difference in styles going on, I didn't realize how different they were. After Halo 3 the hilts seemed to stay relatively similar with varying color and paint choices.

The blades and hilt are hollow, but the mass of the blades still make it front heavy. The electronics and battery add some weight, but it is near the pivot point (the hilt).

Basically, the energy sword has the same balance as a novelty balance bird. See picture
image.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back