Had a conversation with two seasoned members, and a newer member on discord today that I felt I should share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PapaBraus

I was in a voice chat with Littlebean, Rosebud, and ZettaiKagerou earlier on the discord, and Littlebean posed a question about conventions, how many everyone has been to, and what their first one was like.

I'm a talkative fellow so I figured I would chime in, and Rosebud and ZettaiKagerou told me after I was done I had completed a TedTalk.

So, heres my first con story.

We went to comicpalooza in Houston as the cast of firefly.

1578619252793.png

I'm a garbage version of Wash. Wife is Kaylee. Daughter is the tiny River.Reynolds is my buddy and Inara his wife. Jayne was a friend of my buddies. This is all important.

We were in line waiting to get in and a young lady rolled in front of us in a wheelchair. She covered her mouth and screamed "OH MY GOD ITS A LITTLE RIVER", then rolled away. I thought to myself, well, yeah, missed your chance on that photo.

Fast forward mid day, we had been stopped by people left and right after they would spot one of us and talk about our costume, not knowing we had a group within earshot. So. Many. Photos.

Me, the wife, and the kid split of from my buddies so she could play at the lego booth. Lovely people over there. My buddy calls me and tells me to book it to the other side of the con because some firefly fan page wants a group photo. Halfway there and 3 pictures in I saw the young lady in the wheelchair. I told the wife to hold up, and squatted next to the lady and put my hand on her shoulder. I asked if she would like a picture with little river, and she covered her mouth and said a muffled "yes."

Told kiddo to climb up and get a picture. Kid sat down and the lady had tears welling up in her eyes. It was a good picture. Its a picture that I don't have, but she does.

This was the first point I explained to the new recruit. We don't just cosplay for us. We cosplay to bring a universe to someone who cant bring it to themselves. We cosplay to bring others joy. This is not a one party system. It takes both halves for it to work properly.

Second story I told a bit later after he told us "sorry for asking stupid questions".

I've told this to turbo, and I told it to all of the people in the voice chat. This is the most supportive group online that I have ever met. You guys will watch someone do something wrong 15 times and still pat them on the back until they get it right. This group will sit back and coach because there is the knowledge here for them to do so. Ask a question in a PVP gaming group and the typical response will be "GIT GUD" where here its a "Hey man, I see what you did, good work. I've made a mistake similar to that, let me show you how I fixed it!"

Rose and Zettai asked me where I was in early 2019 as this was the motivation they have needed. I told them I would post this conversation because if they needed to hear it, someone else might.

I love this forum and the group. The Halo community has taught me how to find positives in the negatives. You guys are a wonderful community and I am proud to be a part of this.

Alright, alright!

This year I went to Grand Rapids Comic Con with my boyfriend Dragon Den Cosplay (Not on forums). He had just finished his Godzilla ODST a month earlier and we were enjoying walking around, blasting the theme songs and roars of the iconic movie monster.
74412222_922561258107008_1340522411920982016_n.jpg

I think this was Saturday, but we were walking through the main entrance when we were stopped by this kid letting out a huge gasp. We look down and this little boy (8-10) runs over and is GUSHING over Dragon's armor, saying how much he loves Godzilla and so on. His smile was a mile wide, I swear.

I stayed back so they could have their moment, but I was surprised when he looked to me and asked "Are you Mothra?" (If you dont know my armor was black and pink at the time). I was a little surprised, but a Mothra ODST is on the list of thing's we're working on; so I smiled and said "No, but we're working on it"

He smiled and said "You're so cool. You better bring Mothra next time"

"Will do. Be sure to be here next year"

The kid went back to gushing over Dragon and I got a word in with the dad. They try to come every year so I cant wait to see the kid next year. It seriously warmed my heart

Alright TheBraus, you throw one down I'll throw one down explaining why I aim for high quality armour and props that pass the 10, 5 and 2 foot rules.

At cons I'm kind of a be doing something or just be there in costume roaming around type. Giving a presentation, manning a booth and talking to people or just out on patrol. I get into costume immediately and it doesn't come off until the day is done. One convention that's every summer in Vancouver is one that's very much a hang out and find your own fun type situation, we had finished the Halo meetup, panels were wrapping up for the day and the breeze off the water was the perfect thing in the evening after walking around all day as a SPARTAN-III. The location has a notoriously popular photo pit on a large living roof that overlooks the Olympic Torches, downtown skyline, mountains and the Pacific so I was just hanging out and enjoying the calm while friends took photos during Golden Hour. Because of the views and the proximity to the Olympic Plaza tourists mix into the convention crowd constantly and some are polite, some are confused, some are terrified and others leave a lasting impression on you because of their interactions. A small boy came up beside me on the concrete wall that I was perched on and was obviously curious about what was going on but was drawn to the spaceman according to his father. They both had questions about what was going on, where we were from and other small talk while other family members wandered off and took photos. The question that always comes up from small children once they work up the courage to talk to a walking refrigerator of armour is "is it real" to which you always respond "of course, I made it myself and I should know" while knocking on the hardest plate of armour on your body. The small boy was enthralled with the concept that you could walk around in real armour and carry around real guns to protect people from bad aliens. Whenever I'm at a convention I have a second prop with me (usually an M6) that I pass of for people to hold during photos, in this case I passed it to him to play with while his father and I talked for the better part of half an hour. We were all on vacation just doing our own things and happened to cross paths but this small child before going promised to grow up and make armour so that he could also help people. I hope that by just hanging out and watching ships go past in the harbour I inspired a future maker who goes on to build cool stuff and help others along the way, he sure made me want to keep on helping others learn more about crafting.

The more real it looks and feels the easier it is to convince a small fan that X exists and they can go off to tell stories of the day they met X from their favourite movie, game or book. Sure my costumes are usually based on nostalgia but the concept was so interesting that I spent hundreds of hours to bring it to life and I just want to share some of that excitement that made me want to build that character in the first place.
received_237728566877950.jpeg

This is a photo of that day and the small boy that is one of I believe five people besides myself that have put on that helmet.

I have been in this situation and this is why I built my first suit. My older cousin went to our local cons every year dressed up as something. When I was maybe 12 my dad got me tickets to megacon which was coming up in about a month for my birthday. Didnt really know what they were, but I smiled and said thank you anyway. Forgot I had them until it was time to leave. When I got inside the building I was amazed. Had the time of my life seeing everyone and everything, but then we finally met up with my cousin. He was prince Zuko from avatar, and was going around with his friends also in avatar cosplay. I thought this was the most amazing thing ever and I became obsessed. Once I got halo 5 and unlocked the recruit charred armor, I forgot everything I ever wanted to make and built the helmet right away! Fast forward a few years, I brought it to outpost discovery and instead of being the person looked up too like all of your other posts, I did the same thing to the other 405th members. It is breathtaking just taking a moment to look at everyone's work and passion, especially when you know the effort behind it. You are all so nice and make everyone feel welcomed! I had a blast playing laser tag in armor and even got kicked in the shin by a kid, and had an absolute blast! Maybe my time will be next year to inspire someone else if I havent done so already :)

Thank you all for being who you are!

Love these stories! Cosplay is much bigger than what it seems ❤️

So my first cosplay was an Iron Banner Hunter from Destiny. I received a few favorable responses from the good people and decided to go to a resting area to relax a bit.

As I walked out the doors I heard a little child just shouting “Destiny! Destiny!”. I turn just in time to be tackle-hugged by him. We just stand there hugging for a while and then he grabs my hand and rushes me over to his mom so we can take pictures.

Later, on the same day, as I was walking back to my car I come across a group of young kids. They start running from me laughing. Somehow it turned into us playing hide and seek and me proceeding to getting my the crap beat out of me by them kids xD.

Honestly it can be draining for me to attend conventions at times but when I see the effect it has on the people who know and love the fandom you’re from or it’s someone who just appreciates what you’ve made it’s so amazing.

I don't have that interesting of an experience but here I go.................

So my first con turned out to be TAGCC 2019, where me and my sister was free. Coincidentally a few days before I start university.

When I went in there, my dad dropped us there and told us that he hoped we don't become a cosplayer after seeing the catgirls outside the hall ( at least he didnt mind my then planned to make spartan suit :p ). I got our tickets and started walking around, boi was I fascinated that there are many cosplayers from different franchises than I thought ( where I come from seeing these things are quite rare ). As someone who likes to take photos, I started taking photos of some of them with funny poses and also, mini dance moves! ( aaaahhhh if only I still have that older phone of mine that had the pics)

But yeah, I really do love how fun cosplaying can be! , definitely hope I can get a full suit up and running soon.

I don't have a touchy-feely story, but at least I did pluck a few memory cords w/ the older crowd. This was the first ever "Build" costume that I made. I'm going to call this my decade photo since this was back in 2009. At this point I had yet to attend a con since I had gotten married 13 years prior, and even then, Cosplay was in it's infancy.....no one went in costume. But this was for a Purim Carnival. Its the Jewish version of Halloween. So, using my most favorite material to build stuff with, Foamboard, I crafted my "suit"......well.....suit is a bit of a stretch.........take a look:

0308091503a.jpg0308091505a.jpg
Yes it's a box.....but not just any box...... It's Zoltar Speaks Fortune Teller box. Unfortunately the kids got a bit zealous and put their hands through my plastic shrink wrap window.......This was my take from the movie "Big" staring Tom Hanks. (For those of you youngens......he played Forest Gump)......I sat in the corner of the room for about 3 hrs, and handed out all kinds of ridiculous fortunes......But it was the parents that I got the most oohs and aahs from. They knew right off the bat who I was and what movie it was from....Its really gratifying when you build something and is immediately recognized w/o explanation. This was a huge nostalgic build for me, as at the time, the movie was one of my favorites.

0309092321b.jpg

I don't have a touchy-feely story, but at least I did pluck a few memory cords w/ the older crowd. This was the first ever "Build" costume that I made. I'm going to call this my decade photo since this was back in 2009. At this point I had yet to attend a con since I had gotten married 13 years prior, and even then, Cosplay was in it's infancy.....no one went in costume. But this was for a Purim Carnival. Its the Jewish version of Halloween. So, using my most favorite material to build stuff with, Foamboard, I crafted my "suit"......well.....suit is a bit of a stretch.........take a look:

View attachment 282966View attachment 282968
Yes it's a box.....but not just any box...... It's Zoltar Speaks Fortune Teller box. Unfortunately the kids got a bit zealous and put their hands through my plastic shrink wrap window.......This was my take from the movie "Big" staring Tom Hanks. (For those of you youngens......he played Forest Gump)......I sat in the corner of the room for about 3 hrs, and handed out all kinds of ridiculous fortunes......But it was the parents that I got the most oohs and aahs from. They knew right off the bat who I was and what movie it was from....Its really gratifying when you build something and is immediately recognized w/o explanation. This was a huge nostalgic build for me, as at the time, the movie was one of my favorites.

View attachment 282967
This is actually amazing! Being a youngin myself, I instantly recognized this myself, but I guess it is because of who I am surrounded by. It looks like you put alot of effort into this, and I love it!

This is actually amazing! Being a youngin myself, I instantly recognized this myself, but I guess it is because of who I am surrounded by. It looks like you put alot of effort into this, and I love it!

At the time, it was a ton of effort. Now I probably could do it in less than a day. The best thing about this build........it folded flat for transportation and I could assemble it on sight.

It's an awesome build but I feel they may have done you a favor.

That may just be the Texan in me though.

How so?

I haven't been to any cons yet, but I can tell you that just being here on the 405th, listening to al of your stories, and watching all of your builds has truly inspired me. I've always wanted to make a halo suit, but it had always been just a dream. Seeing all of your amazing armor is what finally persuaded me to start my own. You guys are all so nice and I can only hope that on day I can inspire some one else as much as you have inspired me. :D

Me and my husband @Kusak have several of these stories.

One involves a young member of the 405th. grifandsargert

Many years ago, Kusak and I joined the 405th to learn how to make our armor for our wedding renewal. Our second con was when we renewed our wedding vows.

While there, this young man can up to the Colonial booth we had set up. This was when the regiments where still in their infancy.

He was wearing an ODST armor, that he made in cardboard.

We all geeked out that he did such a great job. We told his dad about us.

He came back the next year in even better armor.

We geeked out more.

He inspired us to make Halo gear every year for a give away to help sick kids at this convention. We were always hoping he would show back up. But to our hearts sadness he did not.

But our story does not end there. Who should show up at Philly HOD this year? Our little ODST bud. Low and behold because we had geeked so much over his growing skills, he went and joined his drama club in highschool. He is at last I knew going to college to be in sfx and costume design.

20190720_110136.jpg

Short story here but I was chilling at HOD Philly waiting for the Canadians to finish taking photos with all the different Covenant species and apparently I was standing far too still for some person so when I moved they went "HOLY S**T YOU'RE ALIVE!" and jumped back which proceeded to make me laugh my bum off. Afterwards I ended up talking with him for a bit and he grabbed some photos with us at the booth but it's still just one of those fun experiences. I think the coolest thing though is when I get pmd by someone out of the blue on Instagram or something and they say "you inspired me to do this" and show off their very own suit of armor which has me geekin out over. Being able to inspire others to enjoy this hobby just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back