Halloween Help !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

madjon

Jr Member
Hi Guys,

Right i'm after a little help if possible.

I have been challenged to make the Spartan costume to wear at a Halloween party as a surprise as last year i turned up in full army cammo kit, kevlar helmet, loaded mags the lot.

Until now there has been nothing which I can think of to top this until after playing Halo 3. Oh yeah.

Ok where are the best resources to make a complete suit as close to the MK VI armour as possible?

Whats the best way to make it? cart first then fiberglass over?

I have until halloween to make this and would realy appreciate some assistance. the whole build will be documented for you all to see.

Lastly............

Is it really possible to make a whole suit in a month?

Thanks all.

Jonathan

madjon said:
Hi Guys,

Right i'm after a little help if possible.

I have been challenged to make the Spartan costume to wear at a Halloween party as a surprise as last year i turned up in full army cammo kit, kevlar helmet, loaded mags the lot.

Until now there has been nothing which I can think of to top this until after playing Halo 3. Oh yeah.

Ok where are the best resources to make a complete suit as close to the MK VI armour as possible?

Whats the best way to make it? cart first then fiberglass over?
I have until halloween to make this and would realy appreciate some assistance. the whole build will be documented for you all to see.

Lastly............
Is it really possible to make a whole suit in a month?

Thanks all.

Jonathan
one member just did it in about a week, so yeah if you want it bad enough, you can.
go to creation discussion and read the stickies, if you have something you want directly answered, first use the search box and look, if all else fails, then ask. theres quite a few members here that have any answer you may need. pepakura is a good way to get a armor done quick, and the level of detail depends on how far you choose to take it. good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your reply.

Sorry i have not given an update sooner but my official start date was 28th September and this is my progress so far:

-- Phase 1 --
Completed
Chest
Right Bicep
Left Forearm
Crotch
Right Calf
Left Calf
Left Foot
Right Foot

To complete
Helmet
Left Bicep
Left Thigh
Right Thigh

So so far so good.

Once complete i'm going to look into fiberglassing everything.

Looking good! The only difficult part left is the helmet; the bicep and thighs will seem like cake after that.

If you're feeling good about your progress you might want to order your visor and stuff now so it arrives in time :)

Keep it up!

:devil:
-Vex

Thanks Vex.

There has been a change of plan...... I'm not going top progress with the H2 armour any more i'm going to start on the H3 armour. i'm doing a bicep to see if i have got the scaling right (as i already have a H2 completed). if i have then i'll carry on with the rest of it.

i don't know how to post a link to my blog so i'm pasting it en todo below....

Ok.... so I had a dilemma. I was challenged to make a HALO costume for my family's halloween party this past sunday. the challenge was made the sunday prior.... one halo suit, one week and a budget of $100...

needless to say, after many a sleepless nights and many aborted attempts, i completed my armor in one (that's right, one) night....

i could bore everyone with the details, but i stick to the high points so others may be able to learn from my lessons.

quick facts:

- used pep armor from the pep armor sticky
- forgot to scale the first 2 times, then settled on a 24.273 setting (i'm 5'10"/200lbs)
- could not/would not use fiberglass

materials:

- 110lb cardstock from office depot ($5.24/pack)
- 2 x cans of spruce green rustoleum satin finish ($5.64/can)
- 1 x can of textured dark brown rustoleum ($5.64/can)
- 2 x cans of black rustoleum satin finish ($5.64/can)
- 4 x cans of great stuff expanding foam insulation ($7.62/can)
- 1 x sheet of gold tissue paper from the dollar store
- 1 x box of industrial velcro ($26.74)
- 2 x bottles of fast grab tacky glue (~$3.00)
- 4 x cans of black plastidip spray
- 1 x 3L bottle of generic soda
- 1 x roll black duck tape

technique:

- download, scale, print pep armor (if you can, print with grey scale faces, it helped me later on) **make sure you scale the armor a little bigger than normal, ~10%, this is important later **
- cut armor and score card stock with utility knife (** i know the tip about using red and black pens to score, but the xacto knife worked better for me)
- prefold all the pieces
- glue together all the pieces, let dry for 30-60 minutes
- paint pieces with 2-3 coats of plastidip, letting dry 30 minutes in between each coating. (this kinda makes the paper pep into a rubbery hybrid material)
- using the foam insulation, slowly spray the inside of the armor, using small rows of product about a finger's width, leaving a finger's width between each line of foam
- wait 60-90 mintues for it to expand
- using a small spaces hack saw (~$5.00 at lowe's or home depot) cut off the large bumps and any foam that's not where it should be
- make cuts in the armor pieces. this is so you can clamshell the armor around your arms and legs. (not needed for chest plate, backpack, etc.)
- using sand paper (i used coarse grit taped around a wiffle ball bat) sand the inside of the armor pieces, but not so much so that the structural integrity of the piece is compromised
- paint the outside green, and the inside black *** DO NOT USE THE PLASTIDIP ON FOAM!!!!! IT WILL SHRINK YOUR FOAM TO DOLL SIZE!!!! ***
- immediately using the brown textured paint, mist the armor. this will give it a more 'real' look and will shorten the drying time (i don't know why, it just did)
- once the helmet is dry, cut out the face plate hole, take the cut out and tape a sheet of paper to it
- trace the cut out onto the sheet of paper
- drain the bottle of soda, place the traced outline onto the bottle and cut out the visor
- lightly glue the gold tissue paper (yes it is somewhat transparent) to the soda bottle visor
- when the armor is dry, on either side of each vertical cut, place a 1" x 1" velcro square (hooks, not fuzz)
- cut straps from the fuzz velcro to be used for securing your armor.
- remove the backing from the adhesive on the fuzz velcro straps and place lengths of black duck tape on it. this makes the securing straps for the armor

i used a nerf longshot painted hammered black for my rifle and added some flair items like a name tag etc to personalize my armor.

hope this helps....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back