Halo 2 Stationary Human Turret

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have .5 inch PVC pipe, and it doesnt like to stay straight if it is over 3 ft(and it is the hard stuff

Damien said:
no offence, but how old are you? it takes about five min to cut through a steel pipe with a hacksaw. welding would take longer though. and that is if you have had classes for welding

first or all i am 15. second of all i have an oxygen/propane welder. but i dont have any oxygen. (the one in the container)
third of all, pvc might bend so im leaning towards a stiffer material.

any suggestions

Last edited by a moderator:
i was using the .5 in PVC for barrels for some guns that i am making(sniper, battle rifle) maybe a 1 inch might be stiff enough.i have 1.5 and it is pretty hard

silvercookie said:
Damien said:
no offence, but how old are you? it takes about five min to cut through a steel pipe with a hacksaw. welding would take longer though. and that is if you have had classes for welding

first or all i am 15. second of all i have an oxygen/propane welder. but i dont have any oxygen. (the one in the container)
third of all, pvc might bend so im leaning towards a stiffer material.

any suggestions

There is a special kind of PVC used specifically for wells, peizometers, and other types of major water pipes and lines that is reinforced and much harder, thicker and stronger than your run-of-the-mill plumbing stuff.

Downside is it costs about 3x as much as the regular material. And you have to buy it in 10ft or more sections.

Another alternative would be aluminum tubing. It's much lighter and a little cheaper than steel. I sure wouldn't want to weld it though.

Truthfully, if I went the path of metal tubing, I would check out the local scrapyards. They're much cheaper to get what you want. :mrgreen:

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's white, it's not the stuff I'm talking about. The well PVC can be either transparent or gray. I don't know if a place like Lowes or the Home Depot would sell that kind of stuff. The university gets it straight from the manufacturer. Try googling it.

I want something that isnt messy that will be able to hold the pipe in place without it falling out.

Any suggestions?

pteg (the clear stuff) works good for supports and uses standard pvc cement

if you want to go realistic with the steel pipe dont forget about pipe elbows (90 and 45 deg) or if youre that cheap you could pack the pipe with sand, cap the ends, and smack it with a hammer (sand absorbes the shock and keeps the pipe from kinking) :lindsey:

You realize PVC pipe is a hell of a lot cheaper than steel? Even at 10', you might spend like $15. Plus you'll have extra for other projects. And no, it will not bend just by pushing on it or by carrying the weight of a faux rifle. The only way to bend it, for example if you want to put bends in it to attach different pieces, you'd need to heat it with a heat gun after filling it with sand and closing the ends, then bending it around a hard stationary object.

Afterwards you can sand it nice and get some plastic-adhering metallic paint. :Steve:

Edit: I just realized this is pretty old :wowie:

ok now that my attic has been turned into my workshop i will resume all projects cause it is killing me to look at 2 things that are halfway done.

and for now im just using a stright piece of pvc until i can shape a metal bar.

as soon as i have the base put together and the pole set in i will get pics :hyper: :hyper:

just to let you know. it will only top out at around 4'7" until i get the metal bar then i will raise it major

Its so it will fit the master chief , they say he is around7 foot. so prolly like 5'7" around cause right now i am 5'10"

yeah but the marines use it too so there around 6'....i dont think you should make it that tall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back