Halo 3 Odst Will Screw Up Your Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoalindiciple

Jr Member
i rented halo 3 odst to play it and get some refference pics and it screwed up my 360.... just spent the last hour trying what the tech people at microsoft said to do and now it wont play any games, and he started to tell me about 3000, complaints they have recieved from others that have played it in their console and it froze up, erased memory, a message that says.... disc is unreadable, clean and try again, so a 350.00 console gets screwed up by a game, that will cost about 100.00 to 150.00 to repair. wow im impressed!!!! everyone becareful.

shoalindiciple said:
i rented halo 3 odst to play it and get some refference pics and it screwed up my 360.... just spent the last hour trying what the tech people at microsoft said to do and now it wont play any games, and he started to tell me about 3000, complaints they have recieved from others that have played it in their console and it froze up, erased memory, a message that says.... disc is unreadable, clean and try again, so a 350.00 console gets screwed up by a game, that will cost about 100.00 to 150.00 to repair. wow im impressed!!!! everyone becareful.

Are you sure it's the game? I've played ODST hours upon hours and never had a problem. Bad disk maybe?

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly doubt it's the game. If it was ODST, I think there would be more talk about it. How long have you had your Xbox?

I have never had this problem, nor have I ever heard of anyone I know having this problem either. While I feel for you and your technical difficulties, this is a misleading thread that should probably be closed.

Yeah, my friend has never had an issue with his 360, and he palys ODST. I would highly advise NOT renting games

NAGA said:
I have never had this problem, nor have I ever heard of anyone I know having this problem either. While I feel for you and your technical difficulties, this is a misleading thread that should probably be closed.

miss leading thread.....whatever, playing that game, whether a bad disc or not why would the techs lie??? im just letting others know , and the 360 is new, got it saturday. so whether theres talk about it or not......it happened. so if yours works, im happy for you, get yourself a cookie!!!

I have had my xbox 360 elite for about 2 months now....and have played ODST through the whole game twice and it is working just fine.

Hope you get your technical difficulties sorted out.....suprised with that many complaints that there hasn't been more press about this.

shoalindiciple said:
miss leading thread.....whatever, playing that game, whether a bad disc or not why would the techs lie??? im just letting others know , and the 360 is new, got it saturday. so whether theres talk about it or not......it happened. so if yours works, im happy for you, get yourself a cookie!!!

Well, if you were just letting people know that you had some technical difficulties, that would be one thing. Unfortunately, the title of your thread is "Halo 3 ODST Will Screw Up Your Xbox". Since the vast majority of people have not experienced this, it has not made any sort of widespread news (which it would if this were actually a true statement and the "tech" was not mistaken), and you experienced problems on a RENTED copy of the game, I think it's safe to say that your unfortunate technical difficulties are an outlier in the midst of a statistical majority of positive, problem-free experiences.

Simply put, your title claims something that the vast majority of people have not experienced. It simply isn't true - it probably won't screw up someone's Xbox. While it really does suck that it happened to you, your problem is rather unique. Your statement - your title - is thus misleading. The end result of your thread is likely going to be the dissuasion of gamers from the potential enjoyment of a great game. Maybe you should have titled the thread, "Halo 3: ODST Screwed Up My Xbox". That, at least, might be a generally true statement.

----

Here's the official Microsoft statement on the matter, by the way:

"We are aware of a very small number of customers reporting that their copy of Halo 3 ODST is causing a "disc read" error, which cannot be corrected by Bungie. Microsoft is fully prepared to address this issue via customer support. If you are receiving this error, please contact Microsoft customer support at 1-800-4MY-XBOX for troubleshooting assistance."

- Found HERE.

NAGA said:
Well, if you were just letting people know that you had some technical difficulties, that would be one thing. Unfortunately, the title of your thread is "Halo 3 ODST Will Screw Up Your Xbox". Since the vast majority of people have not experienced this, it has not made any sort of widespread news (which it would if this were actually a true statement and the "tech" was not mistaken), and you experienced problems on a RENTED copy of the game, I think it's safe to say that your unfortunate technical difficulties are an outlier in the midst of a statistical majority of positive, problem-free experiences.

Simply put, your title claims something that the vast majority of people have not experienced. It simply isn't true - it probably won't screw up someone's Xbox. While it really does suck that it happened to you, your problem is rather unique. Your statement - your title - is thus misleading. The end result of your thread is likely going to be the dissuasion of gamers from the potential enjoyment of a great game. Maybe you should have titled the thread, "Halo 3: ODST Screwed Up My Xbox". That, at least, might be a generally true statement.

----

Here's the official Microsoft statement on the matter, by the way:

"We are aware of a very small number of customers reporting that their copy of Halo 3 ODST is causing a "disc read" error, which cannot be corrected by Bungie. Microsoft is fully prepared to address this issue via customer support. If you are receiving this error, please contact Microsoft customer support at 1-800-4MY-XBOX for troubleshooting assistance."

- Found HERE.

first of all i was told the same thing by the supervising tech, at xbox/support. i literally went through everything he said to do, afterwards he said it will eventually have more and more poeple with the same prob.

shoalindiciple said:
first of all i was told the same thing by the supervising tech, at xbox/support. i literally went through everything he said to do, afterwards he said it will eventually have more and more poeple with the same prob.

I don't want to turn this into a lengthy debate, but I will say this:

1. I don't really trust the techs at Xbox customer support. I've had them actually make my problems worse on numerous occasions in the past. So please, if you don't already, take anything they tell you with a very large grain of salt.

2. What he said and what you personally experienced don't make the title of this thread any less misleading. There are facts out there, and that title can do nothing except influence people to not play ODST for fear of their Xbox breaking - a fear that is statistically unfounded.

3. Furthermore, I don't see why this thread is in the Armor, Uniform and Prop Making section of the forums instead of somewhere under the General Talk section.

I don't mean to sound harsh or uncaring; I really do think your situation sucks. I'm just standing by my original statements. The thread should either be moved, locked, renamed, or any combination of the three. I feel that is very, very reasonable.

Well newer games DO have a small effect on really old systems. As Microsoft usually does, they get cheap about release items, such as the 360. For one, the 360's actually have stronger processors as the newer models come out. but the most drastic change is the power management. The newer ones have COMPLETELY refit power systems, both inside the system and outside the system. An old system combined with a new (and demanding) game is very bad. When Beatles rockband came out, (less than 2 weeks from ODST), my 360 (Release year console) was fine and dandy, after a few years from its Repair. but AS SOON as I put in John, Paul, George, and Ringo, SPLAT! my second RROD. although i don't have any hard proof, it seems to make sense that a game that is newer, and therefore more demanding, could have an impact on an older system. Make sure to keep it COOL and WELL VENTILATED when you get it back. :)

Same happened to my xbox with spiderman: friend or foe, so don't worry, you're not the only person this has happened to on here. Unfortuneately, I think some games cause the xbox to update, and somewhere along the line the update goes wrong, so it wont play anything. Good for you for making this thread and trying to warn people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back