Halo 3 rogue helmet build

Status
Not open for further replies.
so my journey began when i was playing halo 2, 7 years ago, when i was a mere squeaker on Xbox Live (i'm 19 now). halo was always my favorite series, from the first moment i picked out my Xbox Live Gamertag: shotgun rumble when playing Rumble Pit on Wetwork, and each midnight launch, i never missed anything. I never had the tools, resources, inspiration or determination to make anything such as a suit or armor until i moved up here to Austin Texas. my first gaming convention was SXSW 2013 and this is where i said i'm doing it! i'm making halo armor! i went with my best friend Mac Roy and i met a armor enthusiast by the name of Matt Smith
IMG_0815_zpsb49c86f0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG] Mac (left) and me (right).

the day after the 3 day convention was over i started the pep! and the journey begins!

first i looked up a tutorial on how to download pepakura files and the program 4shared

second i scaled my head size from the top of my head to my chin and printed the pieces and started cutting, scoring, folding, and glueing

IMG_0834_zps3afef288.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0831_zpsc8db4449.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0832_zpscdd69f1b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0838_zpse8d2fb70.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0840_zps381bcc98.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0851_zps723bba83.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0852_zps87a4d238.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0854_zpsf52a52d7.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0855_zps89b72fd9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

video of the finished pep on my head,
http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/shotgunrumble/media/IMG_0856_zps79762b6b.mp4.html

unfortunately i wasn't able to take videos of the fiberglassing process or resining the outside but i took lots of pics after. and i didn't build any supports on the inside of the helmet so it warped a tad, but i only resined very small parts at a time for the first coat because i had thought about it warping! i did the back, top, front , bottom, left, and finally right side in that order. the 2nd coat i went ahead and did the whole thing because the basic shape was in place, from there i fiber glassed the whole inside of the helmet!

IMG_0874_zpseb8a89a3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0875_zpse11eb054.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0876_zpsb92fc1d0.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0878_zpsfbe9b76e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

my video of the fiberglass and resin done! and the visor cut out,
http://s1365.photobucket.com/user/shotgunrumble/media/IMG_0868_zps9d4bb889.mp4.html

i started the bondo faze and used primer to highlight low points because the rogue helmet has a perfect sphere on the back and the top is like an almond, it has a combination of detailed areas with 90 angles and it was extremely hard and lots of curves, right now i'm still believing this is the hardest helmet to make out of all the halo 3 ones!

IMG_0881_zps3f174121.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_0883_zps2cb7e3bf.jpg
IMG_1039_zpsabae9b77.jpg
IMG_1040_zps37da2964.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1041_zps69bbaa63.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ok so up to this point its been about 3 or 4 months, ya i know right, how? the reason was becuase i lost a few pictures and had school and work. so its 3 weeks away from rtx and me and my dad went to arizona for 2 weeks and had a blast, i finished the body of the helmet and got it primed and bought the paint! home depo had the perfect color, lagoon teal!

IMG_1356_zps3b3b2823.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1357_zpsa1c1cfb9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i didnt have the vent holes finished when i took those but i did them that day

after i got the helmet absolutely perfect i started destroying it!!!!

viewers- wait what?!?!?

yup i got my dremel and started destroying and putting damaged effects on the helmet! used a sander and went over the whole thing to clean it up, then i painted it chrome!

IMG_1575_zpsd2879f7b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1576_zps3fc029ca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1577_zps7e241771.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1578_zps26329154.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1579_zps91c46349.jpg

damage done

IMG_1586_zps6e58bd0a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1585_zps0bf1f33f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1587_zpsda7aee8e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_1588_zpse9b6ab6c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1589_zps574f388c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1590_zps3f72663a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1591_zpsbbee8b8d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1593_zps8143740c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

ok so in this picture you can see the perfect round bondo work, the 2 motorcycle helmets i had came with visors, so i covered one with masking tape and fitted it in and pressed the bondo into the seal, then fiber glassed thebottom of the bondo to give it alot more support!

IMG_1592_zpsf2fdb321.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

that was all i did in Arizona, and another thing i want to point out is that in the game there is actually 2 led's in each vent hole on the sides of the helmet, since i wanted to use them for airflow and to hear i decided to put the led's beside the eyes... although not completely game accurate... it still looks badass!

once back in austin i stayed at my dads (2 days till RTX 2013)

goals:
1. paint helmet
2. epoxy visor (i didn't know that i could just buy a screw and receiver then and epoxy the receivers in and cut holes in the visor and screw it on)
3. wire Led's and 40 MM fan, Power source is 8 AA batteries
4 pad the helmet and spray foam for all gaps (ended up almost ruining visor and had to rip all 1/2 cured foam out) so no foam XD

so i first painted the area around the visor and led's blak then taped that off

for the wear and tear i mixed sand and Vaseline and applied to all the rough areas then coated whole helmet with first coat of teal

IMG_1613_zps9792986d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1614_zps4e5d70bb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

i didn't take any pictures of the white line being painted on because of the time crunch but here is what happened, the white paint was not the same brand as the teal, (krylon-rustoleum don't mix) the paint wouldn't seal on the surface and just cracked so i got paper towel and scrubbed the paint off all the areas i could and then sprayed it again and the paint adhered!

the next day i started detailing the helmet with silver scratches and black wear and tear. so had 10 $1 paint brushes and the chrome spray paint and black spray paint.

and then i epoxied the visor in... learned that less is more with epoxy.

IMG_1615_zpsef35a71e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1616_zpsccbe5ab8.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1617_zpsbaa1dc3c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1618_zps553131b9.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1621_zps6c4b9882.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1622_zpsa141dba2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1623_zps6f63340f.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

got lights in, got pads in and you can see the remainder of the spray foam in the mouth area...

IMG_1632_zps742e9767.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I ended up not having enough time for the 40mm fan because i ran out of time but its all good!

IMG_18051_zps4af89c8a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_18061_zps851f56a4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

here is a couple of photos from RTX

IMG_1639_zps99be78ca.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_1746_zps28e217fd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

so that's where i'm at today and everyone knows a suit or armor is never complete! its always unfinished :D, i'm going to put shooting range headphones in the helmet with speakers and mics so i can hear everything going on around me and so people can hear me! also 3 40mm fans in the front and a neck seal!

i hope you like my build and i will be starting my halo 4 rocket launcher build in the near future! if you have any questions feel free to ask because i would love to help you make your build even more successful!

Wow man, way to go on the helmet! :) Looks likes its been through quite a few battles lol
Very good job on taking pics and stuff showing what you did.
I cant wait to see you start building your armor :)

In actually choosing the armor I'm going to build... any ideas?!? I'm doing full foam!!!! And I'm about to start a thread for my rocket launcher prop! I need some way to get the whole barrel assembly to rotate 180 degrees when pulling the trigger... U know like a big cog being spun by a little gear in the middle powered by a motor with a relay, Then all the led's! Red and orange in the barrels ad only the one in the forum position will light up (they will trade off), and finally the sound effects! Want to put in some speakers that are hooked up to a sound board to play the launch sound and the reload sound hahaha!

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good! do the CQB chest, it looks cool. i have no idea about the rocket launcher, i'm no mechanic. Good luck!

Ohhhhh,
If you want Halo 4 then it's Mark VIA all the way.
for Reach i like U/A CounterAssault chest, Multi threat shoulders, and Commando/Grenadier helmet
good luck!

Ok awesome! I have all the armor in all the games pretty much so I will go check them out when I get back home to Austin on Monday! Any halo 4 armor that looks awesome? I was kindof thinking a full halo 4 rogue build!!! But I would have to make a vaccume mold for the visor but that's not to hard. I and I officially decided to make dual smg's before I make the rocket launcher

Regarding the picture of you holding the SMG, I know where that was! Anyway, any progress on the armor or launcher? I'm starting an ODST kit now, hoping to be ready for Grifcon 2014 (aka RTX).

Regarding the picture of you holding the SMG, I know where that was! Anyway, any progress on the armor or launcher? I'm starting an ODST kit now, hoping to be ready for Grifcon 2014 (aka RTX).

i recently talked to sean and a few other people about the vacume molding for the halo 4 rogue helmet and they said they could do it so im very excited, unfortunately i havent made any progress on the armor or launcher due to family stuff and person life but i will be making the halo 3 rogue suit after i move into my new house this month, i will have the space, time, and money to do the build :D.... on a side note, i am stuck between waiting to see the halo 5 armor and stuff and might do a build based off that or i might do my halo wars spartan build or possibly even halo wars Sargent forge, just so many choices!

thanks for leaving this comment myrherder, i officially have the urge and drive to make this suit! :D

whoa that looks super amazing and i really love the painting and details on it!!

Please check the last post of this thread before responding - it's been inactive for over a year now. Posting in dead threads is considered to be against the forum guidelines, and could result in disciplinary action for multiple infractions, so: please save yourself a warn, check the post dates before hitting 'Enter'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back