Halo And The Bible, A Weird Quincident?

Status
Not open for further replies.

big4wheeler

Jr Member
Ok so today in church i got really bored and started to flip through one of the bibles, then I saw the chapter named john (if thats not how you say it please don't rip my head off), and I thought "john 117= john 11:7" well long story short it didn't, but this is what else I found, its john 17:10-12 and it says... "10All I have is yours, and all you have is mine. And glory has come to me through them. 11I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name—the name you gave me—so that they may be one as we are one. 12While I was with them, I protected them and kept them safe by that name you gave me. None has been lost except the one doomed to destruction so that Scripture would be fulfilled."

Ok to me it sounds like 10 is talking about cortana, chief and possibly the other AI and the spartans, 11 reminds me of the ending of halo3, and 12 sounds like its talking about chief protecting earth...btw this is just what got from it when i combined the two.

If you dont believe me look it up.

It's been known since Halo 1 that Bungie linked a lot of Bible passages to the games. Still must feel pretty awesome to discover it yourself isn't it?

I'm pretty sure HBO has a list on their website somewhere.

Sigma-LS said:
It's been known since Halo 1 that Bungie linked a lot of Bible passages to the games. Still must feel pretty awesome to discover it yourself isn't it?

I'm pretty sure HBO has a list on their website somewhere.

Oh I didn't know that, thanks for the info.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Bungie story page on HBO has write ups on all kinds of coincidences and influences like this:
http://halostory.bungie.org/news.html

I am actually working on my college thesis right now as Halo as a modern interpretation of the classic mythic story, and as an extension, video games as the new myth telling medium, taking the place of the ancient oral traditions and written stories for the next generation, so I am exploring all kinds of connections Halo has to other myths ad legends.

I was actually thinking about this earlier.
One of the more obvious references bungie makes is the continued use of the number 7, and then I realised something:
The last version of mjolnir is number 6.
My hypothesis is that if 7 were to represent perfection, then this is bungie's way of saying that none of us are perfect, and that in this world, none of us will be.
Just my thinking...

Bungie uses alot of biblical references with there games

Heres a few about John-117 taken from http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Biblica...o#Master_Chief:
Most Biblical references relating to Master Chief are not quite as obvious or solid as the Covenant references, but there are still a few that seem likely. Two examples come from The Book of Revelation, formally called The Revelation of Saint John the Divine. The first is from Revelation 1:17-18 (the 1:17 is thought to be linked to Master Chief's Spartan Tag, John-117).

17 And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:

18 I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

The 'first and the last' comment may be referencing that the Master Chief was the first Spartan to be studied by Dr. Halsey. This coupled with the fact that the game manuals continuously refer to the Master Chief as the last Spartan (as all other SPARTAN-IIs were killed or taken out of action), makes him the first and the last. The comment 'I am he that liveth and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore' may refer to Master Chief being one of the 33 Spartans that survived the SPARTAN II project. Also 'and have the keys of hell and of death' most likely refers to the Indices to the Halos destructive power. It could also be a reference to Captain Keyes neural implants used to destroy the Pillar of Autumn, and Installation 04, in the first game although this is less likely. Another important thing to note is the fact that the passage states that "I am alive for evermore". In the novels it is often said that a Spartan never dies and during the novels and games Master Chief repeatedly survives many near-death situations. It has also been speculated that 'And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:' could refer to the end cutscene of the first level of Halo: Combat Evolved. In this scene, the Master Chief puts his right hand on a Marine that is at his feet, and saving him by putting him in the Lifeboat.

The next quote is from Revelation 11:7, another reference to John 117. This verse was also part of the battle of High Charity reference, showing it may have some importance to Bungie and the Halo story.

7 And when they shall have finished their testimony, the beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit shall make war against them, and shall overcome them, and kill them.

Prior to the release of Halo 3, we witnessed TV spots in which towards the end would display the word "BELIEVE". This next one, read from St. John 1:7 references to the Master Chief inspiring hope in those around him in the fight for humanity:

7 The same came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all men through him might believe.

1 John 1:7 fits the name better, and goes like this:

7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.

However, 1 John 2:17 fits the story better:

17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

These are less likely to be references:

7 Then after that saith he to his disciples, Let us go into Judaea again. —John 11:7

17 For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ. —John 1:17

The second of these could relate to the Ark, because the Ark of the Covenant contained the laws given to Moses by God, but this is a stretch.

Additionally, his name is itself a reference to religion, being derived from Johannes, which was the Latin form of Ioannes, itself derived from the Hebrew Yochanan, meaning "Yahweh is gracious." Yahweh is the Hebrew name for God[1].

Probably the most obvious biblical connection to Master Chief is that John I became the seventh bishop of Jerusalem in 117 A.D.

When looking at the Halo storyline very direct parallels can be drawn between Master Chief and Jesus. The concept that the Chief is seen as a savior and the one man who can vanquish evil (the Flood and the Covenant) is reflective of this.

More evidence of this occurs at the end of Halo 3. When Master Chief is listed MIA, he disappears from humanity, much like how Jesus died on the cross. The line "Wake me when you need me." is also another reference to Jesus in that he will return someday, most likely when humanity is suffering again. After Chief had separated, during the ending video on legendary, Chief and Cortana say to each other "It's finished" which seems to refer to John 19:30

"30 When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost(or Holy Spirit)."

His cryotube may be compared to the tomb in which Christ was buried.

Ever since Ive heard the theory, it always interesting to hear more about it.
It becomes even more obvious every time I hear it though, I mean, the ark and the flood, come on?

for all i know its all just quinicidents and maybe first game was suposed to reference.. or was it not?

Cadet said:
[...]
I am actually working on my college thesis right now as Halo as a modern interpretation of the classic mythic story, and as an extension, video games as the new myth telling medium, taking the place of the ancient oral traditions and written stories for the next generation, so I am exploring all kinds of connections Halo has to other myths ad legends.

that sounds really interesting!!! i wrote my thesis on the reoccurring mentor figure and followed it from the original 'Mentor', Odysseus' friend, right up to the mentor figures in Batman Begins.
i assume you already have (probably the first thing you read up) but if not, look into 'the hero journey' or 'mono-myth', its basically a rough template for any sort of story and can pretty much be applied to anything.

Everything has a religious "backstory" to it nowadays. Its gettin old............star wars had a religious/mythological start, almost every movie/game has some kind of religious influence............

You're quite young to be going to church, in some cultures exposing children to religion is considered child abuse.
..star wars had a religious/mythological start,
Star Wars is a very secular film, it's about the separation of church and state. Luke "brings balance to the force" by removing the last of the warrior priests (jedi+sith) from government, so religion (the force) is no longer being used as a weapon against the people. That's why I've never liked the EU rubbish about Luke going on to set up Jedi training temples.. its stupid, so much work was done to get rid of the priest class.. so they set it up again?

I knew it!!! oh wait intill i tell my mom and all the other ppl that call halo the devil's game! I knew you guys would find the references. lol i can't wait to see the faces of all the non-believers! :p

People use Religious terms and phrases in movies, It makes for good story, Its not like anyone is shoving it in your face. And the people that do that are the people that give Christians and others a bad image. People dont want to get preached to or have it be a one sided conversation or feel like its a debate. I am sorry

NZ-TK said:
You're quite young to be going to church, in some cultures exposing children to religion is considered child abuse.

Star Wars is a very secular film, it's about the separation of church and state. Luke "brings balance to the force" by removing the last of the warrior priests (jedi+sith) from government, so religion (the force) is no longer being used as a weapon against the people. That's why I've never liked the EU rubbish about Luke going on to set up Jedi training temples.. its stupid, so much work was done to get rid of the priest class.. so they set it up again?
Well, i dont know if you know about "AMERICAN" culture, but almost all parents at least in the christian faith start their kids going to church by the time they are 1 year old. We have kids of all ages in my church.

reactor beam said:
Well, i dont know if you know about "AMERICAN" culture, but almost all parents at least in the christian faith start their kids going to church by the time they are 1 year old. We have kids of all ages in my church.

The sad thing is that most of these people are what we call "Sunday Christians" They show up at Church worship there heart out repent and all that good stuff but go home throw there Bible on the table and for the rest of the week they dont show any action that says there a Christian when Sunday comes around they cant find there Bible. But the reason we introduce are young people to the Church,no matter what the Religion is because we grew up in the Church (this can be good or bad) so its what we believe to be right we are kids to grow up with those same good theachings

SNIPER 118 said:
The sad thing is that most of these people are what we call "Sunday Christians" They show up at Church worship there heart out repent and all that good stuff but go home throw there Bible on the table and for the rest of the week they dont show any action that says there a Christian when Sunday comes around they cant find there Bible. But the reason we introduce are young people to the Church,no matter what the Religion is because we grew up in the Church (this can be good or bad) so its what we believe to be right we are kids to grow up with those same good theachings

I wish I could help you but, this forum is not really the place for it. Fundamentalists are often unable to discus free thought with civility so the thread would just deteriorate and get locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back