Halo Infinite Mangler - July 23rd Game Trailer Demo Version

TurboCharizard

RXO and BCO
405th Regiment Officer
Community Staff
Stream Team
Member DIN
S068
I've always been a sucker for the Mauler and now that Infinite is bringing back a handheld shotgun in the form of the Mangler I had to make one. This thread will serve three purposes.
  1. Be a repository and reference for others who are also searching for images to use for their own Mangler builds.
  2. Act as a permanent link for free printable files for what I've designed.
  3. Showcase the build process as any other build thread.
Since it's a bit of an odd thread that will need updating throughout the process this first post is reserved as an index for the rest of the thread.

Reference Images (343 Industries sources)
CAD References Images (Self made)
Build Pack Files
Materials Used
Finished Photos

Last edited:
This collection of images was the set that I found most useful while preparing a Fusion 360 model of the Mangler. For modelling a prop from screen captures there's going to be some estimation on approximate size of objects and some frames of video will be more useful than others due to animation/motion blur/lighting or just things getting in the way. The bottom of the grip was almost never in frame fully and when it was there was often a blur from explosions or other dramatic lighting. At this stage I took a best guess in designing my Mangler using a mix of screenshots as reference combined with the HUD icon to get a rough shape and minimal detail.

Another helpful reference was the Mega Construx Mangler piece (thanks Rock Lobbster for those photos) and comparing sizes to other scale Brute weapons of previous games.

Also thank you MrJamin for finding 343 official artwork that had an angle of the Mangler that was very rarely shown in great detail during the trailers.

To get an approximate human sized prop I used the reload animation and the speed loader of the drum to compare a gloved SPARTAN hand to my own armoured hand to create something believable for a costume.

Mega Construx Reference
20200723_170327.jpg
20200723_170332.jpg

Top Profile
Upper Detail 1.png
Upper Detail 2.png
Upper Detail 3.png

Left Side Profile
SideProfile.png

ThreeQuarterProfile 1.png
ThreeQuarterProfile 2.png
ThreeQuarterProfile 3.png
ThreeQuarterProfile 4.png

Right Side Profile
RightSideProfile.png
RightSideProfile2.png
RightSideProfile3.png

Front Profile (Brute holding Mangler Straight On)
FrontProfile.png

Reload Animation and Motion
Reload1.png
Reload2.png
Reload3.png
Reload4.png
Reload5.png

HUD Icon
Icon.png

Last edited:
After about 4-5 hours of monkeying around, we have a model heading to the printer. I'm going to be doing a prototype print of all the drum and forward housing parts to make sure that my pinning and rotation scheme works and once those are done I'll be uploading a zip of files for everyone to use. For now though have some drawings and renders of the Mangler while the print robits do their work.
Mangler Drawing.png

Profile shots showing the shapes of the thing. In this version the slide is stationary and there is no trigger (con safety) but the drum freely rotates on a pin and the drum arm extends outward on a pin as well. There is cutouts for batteries and cable runs for illuminating the red panels on the side of the Mangler as well as a magnetized battery hatch in the bottom of the grip. I didn't model the fabric wrap of the grip because I'll be using a synthetic leather wrap on the finished prop.
Mangler3.png
Mangler1.png
Mangler2.png

Mangler4.png
Mangler5.png
Mangler6.png

The ammunition is separate and removable.
Mangler7.png
Mangler8.png
Mangler9.png

Wish the printers luck with the prototypes!

You have once again outdone yourself TurboCharizard
Let's just hope all the pieces fit together and assembly goes well!
I love the walrus tusks on the mangler. I can't believe you managed to make this in the day after the trailer was released!
If all goes well print files for everyone will be up this weekend and we can potentially have a bunch of Manglers finished within a week of the trailer being released :lol:

Holy cow!! That model looks amazing! Your 3d model even matched the in-game texture! (I kid, saw the low hanging fruit and had to go for it). This is still super amazing work though, you have captured all of the little details!

A little over 72 hours after the demo was released and the prototype build is press fit and ready for final assembly. It's a big ol' mean Mother Hubbard.
DSC_7262.JPG

I'm excited to get this thing loaded with electronics and painted up so I can take some photos with it next weekend hopefully. It came out as an awesome scale for my Army Trooper to use.
DSC_7266.JPG

For extra hardware in this there is plenty of 2cm long 5mm diameter steel pins to help with alignment during glue up as well as a two 6mm diameter steel rods to use as free pivot pins for the drum to rotate on and the drum arm to swing out on. For the magnetic battery hatch there is four 5mm diameter N35 magnets that are 2mm thick. For good measure I also have several washers as spacers in the points where rotation will cause wear on the 3D printed parts.

There have been a few small tweaks to the files that I worked with to the ones in the zip, mostly quality of life improvements for fit of parts and ease of assembly. The main rule I follow when releasing model packs is that I can be a jerk to myself and make things difficult but being a jerk to others is not allowed. Please enjoy the fixes for things I had to suffer through :p

Below is the thing that you guys want though. Please respect the Creative Commons licensing stamped inside, I designed these files for the 405th folks to have fun with and help everyone get excited for Infinite, I don't want to see people selling these as kits or castings.

Mangler Filepack

Last edited:
Ohhhhh yesssss, with a new Halo game comes new weapons and armor for us to make! :) this is going to be good.
One designed, onto the next!

THIS IS AMAZING!!! I'll definitely be following this thread
The files are up, start building!

Holy cow!! That model looks amazing! Your 3d model even matched the in-game texture! (I kid, saw the low hanging fruit and had to go for it). This is still super amazing work though, you have captured all of the little details!
I don't get why people are knocking the appearance of the demo to be honest. It might be because I'm an old fart by comparison and grew up with polygons but I thought it looked amazing.

This is pretty fantastic, the speed of your work is absurd.
MANGLER MANIA BAY-BEE

First post alert
We got her hooked, time to make her a regular through friendly peer pressure!

That is so awesome!!!! Can't wait to see more models from Infinite
I think there's a few folks out there working on stuff for props. My next goal is the VK78 Commando so we'll see what comes after that.

I can not wait for this to be ready and to try and finish two. Double Manglers, anyone?
START YOUR PRINTER UP.

I'm not planning on it and gearing my printers for it... no...not at all
Warm up the print farm Purple!

After seeing the size, I am going to stick with one and maybe get to work on it. We will see... I should probably do the ODST stuff first and properly test the CR10 :p

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back