Halo Legends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ummi60

Jr Member
So people, have nay of you seen the halo Legends movie yet, i have and im wondering what costums would you guys like to build if u had the time (im not gonna make the pepakura or 3D model) so im just curious to know.

got armour said:
Ive seen the tv shows but is there an actual 1hour And 30 min movie?

No its the seven short films.

I liked it, got it on blu-ray so if anyone needs reference I could get some.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well watch it. It's awesome. Be Human is my fave. I love how the cam follows the bullet all the way to the Prophet's head in The Babysiter.

Lucas said:
Well watch it. It's awesome. Be Human is my fave. I love how the cam follows the bullet all the way to the Prophet's head in The Babysiter.

i bought the dvd of it and its awesome, well about 4 out of the 7 are awesome, im not a big fan long drawn out bs of japanese animation, but for the most part its awesome info on the beginnings of halo, my fav is #7 the last short film. i want to build thebig ass prototype robot suit that dude was in killing everything that walked, i've already got several ref. pics and sketched an sampler out , now deciding what to make first, cant wait, i'll put up pics when im ready.

oh, I reaallly want that prototype suit. I got all giddy when that thing opened up and started having fun

i didnt like this too much at all. im not a fan of anime, and i hated them using so much of the style for this. especially when it came to the Spartan 1337 segment, and the elites in kimonos. wtf. the 1337 segment was just a kids cartoon, nothing halo about it. and as i recall, the entire halo franchise is rated M for mature. i also HATE it when people just start inventing tech and characters, when there is an entire universe already created for them to pull from. i definitely dont remember any gundam style mechs or speeder bikes on crack in the books or games, and yet they play a huge role in the short films. the action was killer, when it happened, but it was like a dragonball z saga. 6 episodes of powering up and smack talking for half an episode of fighting. i do media reviews for a website and i gave it a 4/10. please dont take my distaste of this personally. i just didnt like it. at all.

Goosebot 5000 said:
i didnt like this too much at all. im not a fan of anime, and i hated them using so much of the style for this. especially when it came to the Spartan 1337 segment, and the elites in kimonos. wtf. the 1337 segment was just a kids cartoon, nothing halo about it. and as i recall, the entire halo franchise is rated M for mature. i also HATE it when people just start inventing tech and characters, when there is an entire universe already created for them to pull from. i definitely dont remember any gundam style mechs or speeder bikes on crack in the books or games, and yet they play a huge role in the short films. the action was killer, when it happened, but it was like a dragonball z saga. 6 episodes of powering up and smack talking for half an episode of fighting. i do media reviews for a website and i gave it a 4/10. please dont take my distaste of this personally. i just didnt like it. at all.

I'm gonna have to agree. I liked the action when it occurred, but all the bs talk filler ran me up the wall. I understand that there is a purpose for that in Japan, and I understand that this was released in Japan. But it's an American franchise, so the bulk of the buyers/viewers are likely going to be American, and so that purpose for all the drawn-out monologues doesn't translate well for our particular media standards/expectations.

I watched the special features before I watched the film, primarily because of the detailed history feature, but I also watched the "Making Of" spots for each short film. I recall them specifically stating that they hired on the Animatrix guys because they made the Animatrix. And they talked about each director they hired because of what they've all done in the past or their particular visual styles. They never really talked about hiring people for what they can contribute to the Halo Universe. It all seemed like they hired these specific people so they can create what they've already made, except put their old characters in Halo costumes. They hired the Animatrix team because they wanted the Animatrix in Halo costumes.

Along the same lines, the other thing that bothered me was that they specifically hired anime people for the project. Sure, they could have happened upon an anime producer that was right for job. But it seemed that they were focusing on wanted it to be anime instead of focusing on making a good production. That, I think, is where they screwed up.

Oh, and as for the aesthetics... it's the military. GIVE THEM MILITARY HAIRCUTS, not long flowing anime hair. Sheesh.

Goosebot 5000 said:

i would have to respectfully disagree. I think they did a great job bringing the world of Halo to the anime view. My girl friend doesnt like halo because its a fps but she really enjoyed the anime. basicly it give those who dont like the games a view into the halo universe. I think its great that the directors where not glued to the halo frame of mind (ODD ONE OUT) and took a chance to be silly and creative which i personally think worked. i would love the guys at 343 to bring out more. But i can respect if you dont like anime, not to like Legends. i give it 7/10

lol, i didnt even think about the hair torsoboy!! and your animatrix comparison is dead on. i loved the animatrix, but it was because they actually developed the main plot of the series with their shorts. They gave us background info on characters and situations that gave us a little more insight to their universe. it also helped that they had another movie coming out and i had a burning desire to figure out what was going on before everyone else did, like on LOST, lol.

and i dont want to convey that i dont like this solely based on my anime point. i dont know if i did or not, but just clearing that up. i have a bulleted list of things i dont like about it, its just headed up by that, hahaha. (and the brother and sister from the 1337 segment. wtf. seriously?).

Have you guys even watched or have the second disc it tells the reason why then went with those styles. After watch the extras I gain respect for the styles they used

torsoboy said:
I'm gonna have to agree. I liked the action when it occurred, but all the bs talk filler ran me up the wall. I understand that there is a purpose for that in Japan, and I understand that this was released in Japan. But it's an American franchise, so the bulk of the buyers/viewers are likely going to be American, and so that purpose for all the drawn-out monologues doesn't translate well for our particular media standards/expectations.

I watched the special features before I watched the film, primarily because of the detailed history feature, but I also watched the "Making Of" spots for each short film. I recall them specifically stating that they hired on the Animatrix guys because they made the Animatrix. And they talked about each director they hired because of what they've all done in the past or their particular visual styles. They never really talked about hiring people for what they can contribute to the Halo Universe. It all seemed like they hired these specific people so they can create what they've already made, except put their old characters in Halo costumes. They hired the Animatrix team because they wanted the Animatrix in Halo costumes.

Along the same lines, the other thing that bothered me was that they specifically hired anime people for the project. Sure, they could have happened upon an anime producer that was right for job. But it seemed that they were focusing on wanted it to be anime instead of focusing on making a good production. That, I think, is where they screwed up.

Oh, and as for the aesthetics... it's the military. GIVE THEM MILITARY HAIRCUTS, not long flowing anime hair. Sheesh.

Def agree with you both. Not only did they use diff voice actors and go against the canon for huge chunks of it (John, Fred, and Kelly are in one episode invading a covenant carrier on what are essentially space motorcycles; but John is in his Mk VI armor- and anyone who has played Halo 2 and 3 knows that the events of the 2 games are fluent and through one period of time. That being said, during the events of Halo 2, Fred, Kelly, Linda and Will are set in the events of Ghosts of Onyx... PLUS "Soloman" and "Arthur" don't exist if you've ever read Fall of Reach or First Strike...) Overall I think Legends is a disgrace to the Halo franchise- and if you like it then that's great. I'm not trying to offend anyone here, just stating my opinion, but anyone who knows the halo story should also know all the flaws through this series...

In my opinion 'Odd one out' was by far the worst, that style of anime works well in Dragonball (which i happen to like) but for the halo universe it is just all wrong. I know it is supposed to be a non-cannon parody of the halo universe but in my mind that whole concept is wrong from the start, you dont parody your own creation and then hand it to all the fans who you have spent years gaining.

I did like the rest however, my favourite was 'The Duel', the animation style was a little strange at first but the insight into the honor bound culture of the elites and the explanation of why the arbiter title is both a mark of respect and humiliation was particularly interesting to me. I dont quite know how all these new spartans fit into the halo cannon as the numbers dont quite add up with the number of spartan II's to make it through the program or the number left at the time of the battle on reach. I have only read the first two books so far and i am sure reading the rest will confuse things further.

I think the main problem is that the halo universe is being fractured too much in terms of the books, comics, short films and games. When a continuing story is told by multiple people there are bound to be some areas where things dont add up. 343 Industries need to take controll of the direction of the franchise more, the legends series, whilst good overall in my opinion, are a prime example as the various animation houses were all given free reign really on these and that is the sort of thing which can really screw up continuity.

And to finish my essay of a post, WTF space bikes! NO! Just NO! It is not star wars so i dont want to see some stupid ass speeder bike/x-wing combo!

I watched it last week and overall, I liked it. "Odd One Out" seemed to try too hard to be funny so I didn't particularly enjoy that one other than the few brief moments where you got to see the strength and speed of what a Spartan was capable of.

I like "The Duel" because I was wondering about the past of the title Arbiter since Halo 2. I found it amazing that the "Prophets" would go to such lengths to have the Elites under their thumb and change a title of Honor to a title of Shame. Oh and I didn't particularly care for the Water Color Filter the whole time. And BTW that Hunter was freaking HUGE!

"The Babysitter" was good. I loved the character interaction between ODST and Spartans as I've read "Fall of Reach" I didn't like the lack of detail on the Spartan armor and the fact that when her helmet came off she had a jungle of hair underneath.

In "The Package" I loved the style. But I quickly noticed some rather interesting and sadly corny liners that presented themselves during the progression. I wish the duel would have concluded better and I laughed the first time it went FPS. Though I liked how when they did go FP that the cross hair wasn't limited to the center of the helmet. That was the AI in the Spartan armor at work. Loved that. The coolest part as far as the links to John 117 I liked was in the escape pod and the Dr. said "Can't you do anything?" and John just shrugged. From "Fall of Reach" you learn that John actually hates to be on ships as he prefers to have his feet on solid dirt on the battle field.

I was interested in the Prototype that was in "Ghost." I find myself wondering if it may have been a stupid early rendition of the Spartan armor or what because from "Fall of Reach" you learn that the reason the Spartans received Structural Surgery was so that the Armor wouldn't rip them apart as it did in normal human testing. This guy in "Ghost" was either well leveled in the head or was absolutely against the fact that either the Covenant was gonna take him down or the Suit was gonna mutilate his body. It was intriguing to see a normal Marine wield that armor as I was totally expecting it to be a Spartan using it as either weapons testing or like how you see it used in "Ghost."

Seen it, loved it, bought it. If I could make anything from the Halo Legends short films it would be the Exoskeleton prototype armor from the Prototype episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back